cramping

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

colnagoracer11

by colnagoracer11

Does anybody have any ideas to end my cramping legs? No matter what I eat or drink during a ride or race, I get leg cramps around the 50 mile mark. The cramps always start at the bottom of my calves and work right up to my glutes. Soon I am one giant lower body cramp. They get so bad I cant even stan up to pedal. Any help is greatly appreciated.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rick

by Rick

I don't have the cure, but I am intrested in this subject also. I have cramped up severely at a few inopportune times, usually after about 80 miles or so.
My research led me to believe that no one really knows what causes it, but you can make sure you are well-hydrated and have a good mix of electrolytes (calcium, potassium, magnesium, salt, etc) I suspect my problems were mostly dehydration.

colnagoracer11

by colnagoracer11

I have tried almost every drink out there. Even an old Chrissy Wellington mix of honey and sea salt mixed with water. Ive also tried the electrolyte efforvescent tablets you drop in water. None have helped. Gatorade has turned out to be a joke...just kool ade marketed by pro athletes. Im going to Sportlegs(january 2012 road bike actionmagazine page 16). They contain lactate compounds of calcium magnesium and vitamin D. Ill try anything Ive had this problem since I started racing 3 years ago. Maybe its just old age 34..lol

CerveloBert

by CerveloBert

I might have to duck a shoe for saying this, but here goes.

I got some 2XU Knee-High compression socks because my friend (who suffered from severe calf cramping regularly) recommended the things to me because I tend to cramp bad at the end of long distances. I must admit - I was very skeptical at first, but my first 60 miler after taking 2 months off - I had no cramping. Now - after the same exact ride - I took off the sock - and the moment the compression fell off of my calves - a severe cramp came on. I have been continuing the use of it and it's very simple for me - I cramp on the rides I do not have them on - and I don't cramp when I do have them on.

Now - this is just my experience. If I can get an explanation - I'll be happier. But for me - no more cramping calves. I'm a believer in compression clothing.

colnagoracer11

by colnagoracer11

Interesting. At this point, Ill try anything. Just 2 questions arrise...how bad will they mess up my cyclist tan everyoneadmires lol and...how is the breathability on those hot july august days we get here in new york?

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Two points to add to the above.

One is that a potential cause of cramping is excessive caffeine. Rare but a consideration. Note: rare and excessive.

The other is general conditioning. Usually when demands that exceed what the body is normally used to.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

fitty4

by fitty4

MY story is different but I use to have a lot of cramps at night while sleeping, I believe it happened because of asthma medicine that I only began to use about a year ago. Long story short I started to take vitamins with herbs and minerals and the cramps has completely disappeared, I made sure that it had vitamin D.

It just a suggestion and maybe you can keep your normal tan during summer

colnagoracer11

by colnagoracer11

I never thought that caffien could cause cramping. I drink coffee by the pot not the cup. I will try cutting the coffee and lattes back to a 2 cups a day before i invest in another sports drink or pill. Thanks great info everyone.
Btw..I did a little investigating on compression socks, It seem like they are pretty popular as part of post ride/race recovery. Gonna try them out. Cant hurt any worse than entire leg cramps...lol

Gregorio

by Gregorio

Cleat placement? Try moving them back. :wink:

CerveloBert

by CerveloBert

If you're going to get compression clothing - make a smart decision between the leggings and just the socks.

Doing the compression clothing thing is neat, and it's really cool to feel the effects, but those things are not necessarily cheap. If you want full recovery for all parts of your legs and be able to maybe help with cramping outside of the calf, then the leggings might be the better call for you. The socks just by themselves are great for runners and use during rides.

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Further to my last:- The caffeine thing is theorised and as far as I know not yet proven in a clinical study on humans. It was theorised that too much caffeine can interfere with the calcium ions to the receptors in the motor neurones causing them to mis-fire (either not firing when they should or when they shouldn't i.e.: cramp). This is the "basic" version of what happens, the detailed one is way complex.

The short thing is:- try cutting back on caffeine, especially "energy" drinks like Red Bull and the like. It might be a cause, but then again it may not. No harm in trying.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

jasjas

by jasjas

I cut out caffiene as i found i d would cramp up at around the 50mile mark in a RR, it was a prob that had been getting progressively worse and id put down to age :cry:

I had read that caffeine can raise anxiety levels + it is a diuretic and i was getting to the stage where i d start a race believing i' d cramp up (ie already anxious) i'd stop the coffee a few days before an event and bingo no more cramps.... maybe placebo but got to be worth a try?

colnagoracer11

by colnagoracer11

Could be a placebo..but dont we all have that pre race ritual? And we arent able tp perform that ritual, we phsyc ourselves into the notion its going to be a bad day? I actually a group ride later today. Im going coffee free this morning and try this theory out.

colnagoracer11

by colnagoracer11

Went coffee free this morning....and I can happily say after 92 miles no cramps. I actually feel energized. The only caffiene I had was in the mocha flavored gels.

jasjas

by jasjas

just drop a cheque in the post........ :beerchug: oh an one to TW as well 8)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com