HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:33 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:03 pm
Posts: 8
I know a lot of people seem to ask about lightweight aluminum clinchers from time to time. So, I thought I would post my most recent build here.

Me: 6'4" 195lbs. Sprinter and generally suffer on the climbs. I was looking to build a cheap, light, and reliable (yeah....I know) aluminum clincher wheelset for the road races.
Budget: $500 (all-inclusive)

Build:
Stan's 340 Alpha Rims (24H/28H)
Bikehubstore.com Superlight Hubs
Sapim CX-Ray Spokes
Brass Nipples

Total weight: 1230 grams (verified on my luggage scale and a Park scale at my LBS). More weight could obviously be saved with a lower spoke count. A 20/24 build would be sub-1200 grams.

Total cost: $502. This includes all shipping, labor and tax. The wheels were built by a very experienced wheel builder at my LBS.

Thoughts: I am sure there are cheaper options out there, but this is the cheapest and lightest that I could put together that would be reliable at my weight.


Image

I debadged the rims because the graphics that came on them were hideous
Image


Last edited by Snowstorm on Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:53 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:40 am
Posts: 114
Will be nice to know how those go for you....if you don't rip them apart....your builder is good.

_________________
http://www.bobkestrut.com/images/1983worlds.jpg


Top
 Profile  
 
Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:53 am 


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:05 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:03 pm
Posts: 8
rainbowstripes wrote:
Will be nice to know how those go for you....if you don't rip them apart....your builder is good.


Haha. Well these are not going to see any crit work, so I am hoping for at least some longevity. Although I put down a pretty good sprint (wattage-wise), I really haven't been too hard on wheels over the years. However, I generally am riding 50mm+ deep carbon wheels. I fully anticipate a noticeable decrease in stiffness if I get on it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:46 pm
Posts: 59
I'd love to hear your feedback on the rear wheel when you get some rides on it. I'm the same weight and also put down some decent power. Rebuilding my rear wheel in a couple months (same spoke count and hub as yours) and have been mulling over using this rim. I'm using a 28h xr200 in the front and that's light/stiff enough for me. The rear will either be that Stans or an xr270, depending on how soft these end up being. I've been having a hard time tracking down feedback on these rims amongst the heavier folk.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:37 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:29 am
Posts: 335
Hi Snowstorm, very nice ... do you think it would have been ok to do a 28H rear and 20H front for your weight?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:24 pm
Posts: 53
Location: UK
Nice build there at a good price. I've just gone for a similar build, not received yet but hoping for about 1175g to 1200g max. They've cost £700 from Just Riding Along in Sheffield. I'm about 172lb's and not a sprinter :wink:

Build:
Stan's 340 Alpha Rims (20H/28H)
Tune Mig70 Mag170 Hubs
Sapim CX-Ray Spokes
Alloy Nipples


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:25 pm
Posts: 473
Can people stop referring to their opbjects of minimal mass as Lightweight?
It is light weight, not lightweight and definatly not Lightweight, as this is something different entirely.

Thank you.


Nice wheels none the less.

_________________
    2011 Cannondale Flash F1
      2010 Cannondale Caad9
        2000 Cannondale Caad 4 aero
          1999 Cannondale Caad1
            ???? Concorde SS


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 25, 2004 10:53 pm
Posts: 209
Location: CT, USA
I will look forward to your experience with the rear 28H. I have built front wheels with the Alpha 340 with great success. I have held back from using the BHS rear with the Alpha 340 due to the combination of flange spacing/low max tension seemed to provide NDS spokes with too low tension for my taste.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:46 pm
Posts: 59
quattrings wrote:
Can people stop referring to their opbjects of minimal mass as Lightweight?
It is light weight, not lightweight and definatly not Lightweight, as this is something different entirely.

Thank you.


Nice wheels none the less.


Actually, Lightweight is correct. It's the beginning of a topic so the L should be in upper case. And light weight is correctly spelled as lightweight. See:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictiona ... 1327719297

I suppose you could nitpick at the capitalization of aluminum and clinchers but, who cares.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:28 pm
Posts: 1402
:goodpost: :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:18 pm
Posts: 617
Soul S2.0
1330g
$500./shipped
210lb rider limit
I've only read good things about them.

Rim: N'litened Alloy rims. Machined braking surface with wear indicator.
Bearings: Japanese High Grade Stainless Steel sealed bearings.
Hubs: SOUL Prodigy hubs, 2 sealed bearings front + 4 sealed bearings rear.
Spokes: Double Butted and bladed 2.3mm X5 CrNi stainless steel spokes.
20 radial laced Front + 24 2 x cross driveside, radial non-driveside Rear.
Nipples: Brass, Aluminium (Black)
Skewers: 90g Lightweight Hollow Chromoly Axle (included)
Weight: 580g (Front) 750g (Rear), 1.330kg pair ( weight without skewers)
Weight Limit: 95kg/ 210lbs

http://bikesoul.com/2009/index.php?opti ... &Itemid=10

Image

_________________
Project CAAD9 7.2kg
The CAAD Build Thread


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:27 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:18 pm
Posts: 617
Snowstorm wrote:
I know a lot of people seem to ask about lightweight aluminum clinchers from time to time. So, I thought I would post my most recent build here.

Me: 6'4" 195lbs. Sprinter and generally suffer on the climbs. I was looking to build a cheap, light, and reliable (yeah....I know) aluminum clincher wheelset for the road races.
Budget: $500 (all-inclusive)

Build:
Stan's 340 Alpha Rims (24H/28H)
Bikehubstore.com Superlight Hubs
Sapim CX-Ray Spokes
Brass Nipples

Total weight: 1230 grams (verified on my luggage scale and a Park scale at my LBS). More weight could obviously be saved with a lower spoke count. A 20/24 build would be sub-1200 grams.

Total cost: $502. This includes all shipping, labor and tax. The wheels were built by a very experienced wheel builder at my LBS.

Thoughts: I am sure there are cheaper options out there, but this is the cheapest and lightest that I could put together that would be reliable at my weight.


Image

I debadged the rims because the graphics that came on them were hideous


I'd call those a "peace of mind" wheelset because you know EXACTLY what you got.

:thumbup:

_________________
Project CAAD9 7.2kg
The CAAD Build Thread


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:32 pm
Posts: 7518
Location: Los Angeles / Glendale, California
weaverdcivw wrote:
quattrings wrote:
Can people stop referring to their opbjects of minimal mass as Lightweight?
It is light weight, not lightweight and definatly not Lightweight, as this is something different entirely.

Thank you.


Nice wheels none the less.


Actually, Lightweight is correct. It's the beginning of a topic so the L should be in upper case. And light weight is correctly spelled as lightweight. See:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictiona ... 1327719297" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I suppose you could nitpick at the capitalization of aluminum and clinchers but, who cares.


I'm sorry, but no. You're missing something absolutely vital in your argument: CONTEXT.
In this forum, Lightweight (whether or not it is beginning a sentence) as one word references the brand Lightweight by CarbonSports, Ltd. That is the context of this forum. When we see "Lightweight" as one word, especially capitalized, we look for products under the Lightweight brand. You can search plenty on this site, you'll find this has continually been an issue.

As you also pointed out, "light weight" as two separate words is acceptable - so please just change the thread title and we'll all be satisfied. Thanks.

_________________
Exp001 || TeamLACBC


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:55 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:46 pm
Posts: 59
prendrefeu wrote:
weaverdcivw wrote:
quattrings wrote:
Can people stop referring to their opbjects of minimal mass as Lightweight?
It is light weight, not lightweight and definatly not Lightweight, as this is something different entirely.

Thank you.


Nice wheels none the less.


Actually, Lightweight is correct. It's the beginning of a topic so the L should be in upper case. And light weight is correctly spelled as lightweight. See:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictiona ... 1327719297" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I suppose you could nitpick at the capitalization of aluminum and clinchers but, who cares.


I'm sorry, but no. You're missing something absolutely vital in your argument: CONTEXT.
In this forum, Lightweight (whether or not it is beginning a sentence) as one word references the brand Lightweight by CarbonSports, Ltd.


No, it's called proper spelling.


Top
 Profile  
 
Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:55 am 


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:46 pm
Posts: 59
I'm pretty sure a wheel company did not invent the word "lightweight".


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. Anybody used Hutchinson Atom X-Light Clinchers?

in Road

mattyb95

12

1064

Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:49 am

mattyb95 View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Light weight helmet

[ Go to page: 1, 2 ]

in Road

MNX1024

20

1263

Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:38 am

neeb View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Light weight carbon handlebars

[ Go to page: 1, 2, 3 ]

in Road

addictR1

32

4069

Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:09 pm

PuroScattista View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. AEST light weight crankset

in Road

yumseyo

7

1661

Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:13 pm

yumseyo View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. New light weight crank FACE NEXT SL CRANKSET

in MTB

uraqt

3

1018

Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:29 pm

KvnP View the latest post


It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:29 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Advertising   –  FAQ   –  Contact   –  Convert   –  About

© Weight Weenies 2000-2013
hosted by starbike.com


How to get rid of these ads? Just register!


Powered by phpBB