Bike fitting on the Internet.

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Has anyone bought a suit? Like a real expensive one? $3k or so? (not that this is much in the world of good suits)

If so, I am curious - did you post on forums asking people if the cut was good and whether they should bring sleeve up a bit? Is the waist at the right height? Or did you go to a tailor who knows what the hell they are doing and then enjoy the suit for many a year, fitting you perfectly, moving with you and feeling just great to wear?

Given people spend double or (much) more on the bike than they do on a suit I wondering why the f*ck people wouldn't go to a proper "tailor" to get this stuff sorted rather than posting the cycling equivalent of "does my arse look big in this"? otherwise known as :- "Do I look pro in this position?"

Only to be followed up with "Back, up, down, forward, longer, higher, lower, tilt and drop."

Enjoy your suit.

Rant over.

Carry on.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

kiserkm

by kiserkm

This is a good rant and makes sense... but sometimes not possible to get your suit correctly tailored if you are in a country where they dont know what suits are :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

theremery

by theremery

Or everybody leaves your LBS with a really big AR$E fitting suit.
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

Rick

by Rick

Has anyone bought a suit? Like a real expensive one? $3k or so?

No.
Anyone who pays that much for a suit has nothing at all in common with me. :mrgreen:

euan

by euan

I understand people's desire to get fitted by people on the internet. I traveled 300miles to find someone who was recommended to provide a good fit. In fact in Scotland there isn't anyone at all (at the moment) who will do a proper comprehensive bike fit. So I can understand if someone is apprehensive spending a good bit of money on a bike fit when its not easy to go and get a follow up visit.

rockdude

by rockdude

most people buy a suite off the rack and wear it. Same with bikes, buy them off the store floor and ride it. an internet fitting will tailor the fit better than nothing.
2 Serotta's, 1 Spectrum, 1 Van Dessel, 1 Parlee & 1 Carl Strong, & 1 Titus.

KWalker

by KWalker

no worse than asking for training regimens on the internet.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

jasjas

by jasjas

From what i ve seen, any two bike fitters usually come up with 2 entirely different "fits"

BUT i asked on here ages ago, should i go for a L or an XL ? and was advised the L......... and i ve spent the last 3 years wondering if i should have got an XL :noidea: :lol:

Bellagio

by Bellagio

If you keep wondering, maybe you should get a professional fit. 3 years is a lot of time to spend wondering about something you could get professional advice on! :shock: :wink:

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

KWalker wrote:no worse than asking for training regimens on the internet.

No, much worse. If you can't understand the difference then I suggest you research why this is the case.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."

euan

by euan

Aren't there companies offering online bike fitting via video?

Anyway like I say lots of people don't have access to proper bike fits beyond some guy in the bike shop doing KOPS, attempting to get a better fit is surely better than nothing?

LouisN

by LouisN

We like flattery...
People post pics of themselfes for the public to see, social network thing...
Hey, it's the WW forum, there are so many sub-categories of the WW species...

Hey, take it as a compliment. Seems like this place is good advice, since there are so many technical questions asked here.
The Internet is full of "medical" forums and lots of people are seeking advice from strangers all over...

Louis :)

artray

by artray

Tapeworm wrote:Has anyone bought a suit? Like a real expensive one? $3k or so? (not that this is much in the world of good suits)

If so, I am curious - did you post on forums asking people if the cut was good and whether they should bring sleeve up a bit? Is the waist at the right height? Or did you go to a tailor who knows what the hell they are doing and then enjoy the suit for many a year, fitting you perfectly, moving with you and feeling just great to wear?

Given people spend double or (much) more on the bike than they do on a suit I wondering why the f*ck people wouldn't go to a proper "tailor" to get this stuff sorted rather than posting the cycling equivalent of "does my arse look big in this"? otherwise known as :- "Do I look pro in this position?"

Only to be followed up with "Back, up, down, forward, longer, higher, lower, tilt and drop."

Enjoy your suit.

I have a nice made to measure Armani suit.

Rant over.

Carry on.

Rick

by Rick

I am still wondering how many people really pay $3K for a suit ?
I mean really.....how good can a suit fit and look ? :shock:

Where and when do you wear such a thing ? To work ?
....or only when hobnobbing with supermodels at parties thrown by Senators ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Rick wrote:I am still wondering how many people really pay $3K for a bike ?
I mean really.....how good can a bike fit and look ? :shock:

Where and when do you ride such a thing ? To work ?
....or only when hobnobbing with pros at Tour training rides thrown by organisers ?

Fixed for you ;)

And personally I wouldn't spend that much on a suit either. I only spent half that.

The comparison is easy to make to any "luxury" item. A $3k Omega tells the time just a well (in some cases worse) than a Casio G-Shock.