slr01 sizing

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

beardking

by beardking

so I want to get myself a bmc slr01, just trying to workout the fit....

my first and current bike is a 54 caad10 which i had a fit on. at the fit a lot of time was spent dialling in the seat and cleat position, but we didn't spend much time on the bar position. I hadn't been riding long and I think the fitter gave me a relaxed back angle (there was more drop than i started with because we raised the seat), but now I've spent a lot more time riding i feel like i could go a bit lower and longer. I ride over 12 hours every week and sometimes over 15 with long 5+ hour rides every sunday and don't have any back problems or discomfort in my upper body or anywhere else for that matter.
here are some pictures of my fit, I'd like you're opinions on it
relaxed riding position with slight bend in arms
tucked but can get lower than this with forearms flat
in the drops but again i can get lower than this with my forearms flat

sorry the position pictures aren't the best, got my brother to take them and he was in a rush/ is an impatient f**k

what i mainly want to know is if i can go for a slightly longer frame? using this website http://bb2stem.blogspot.com/ I've got the slr01 in 55 as being 6mms lower and 9mms longer. It wouldn't bother me running a spacer or 2 under the slr01 stem to bring it up but i don't want it to be too long and have to run a stem shorter than the 100mm one that is on my caad at the moment.

obviously its very difficult to give a full bike fit from some pictures on a computer, once i figure out the size i need and get the frame I'll get a full fit and make sure we work on the bar position. but not many places in the uk stock bmc and i don't think any of them do fits?

thanks to anyone who reads this, sorry for all the pictures.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

milkbaby

by milkbaby

This link is an excellent resource if you can get all the measurements off a prospective bike (or at least guesstimate closely):
http://gearinches.com/blog/misc/bike-ge ... comparator

Sorry, I am not smart enough to chime in with any help!

fa63

by fa63

Go to www.bikecad.ca and enter the geometries for both bikes to compare. It is a free tool that works great; I use it to compare fits all the time.

fa63

by fa63

I actually crunched the numbers in for you (also uploaded them onto their website, in case you want to play with it more), but it looks like the BMC in size 55 may be a bit too big for you, as it would require a ~85 mm stem to maintain the same reach. You mentioned you wanted to go a bit longer so you could try it with a 90 or 100 mm stem, but looking at your pictures you look fine to me the way it is right now (not to mention you are saying that you have no discomfort as is). I think size 53 would work better for you; it is just a bit longer and just a bit taller than the 54 cm CAAD10 (but you can easily get as low or lower than the CAAD10 if you take all the spacers out).

Good luck.

HUMP DIESEL

by HUMP DIESEL

In the side view of the bike, I first am drawn to the saddle. Tilting down, and then I am drawn to the hoods and their position on the bars. I would level the saddle and then rotate the hoods up a bit and rotate the bars down a bit. If you do that you may see that you can run a longer stem and still feel fine on the front.

I do agree that the 53 BMC is going to get you closer than the larger 55.

HUMP
Why are the best things in life always the ones you start last?