commute, CX, caferacer and touring DISC bike in one?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

maddog 2

by maddog 2

I run a ti Airborne Carpe Diem with discs on my commuter/trainer/mild tourer

It's just the job - supple, light enough, tough etc.

However, there isn't that much around which is equivalent. There's the VN Amazon which is similar (but has slightly different geometry) and you'd need to do a disc-based build rather than the standard cantis.

http://vannicholas.com/12/Amazon/bike.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

erickB

by erickB

i like the raleigh roper, maybe its a little heavy for race but for a multi function bike looks perfecft

ww4

by ww4

Genesis, On one and Planet X are nice. VN needs a DISC brake ;) Raleigh might be a bit heavy ;)

With Genesis I would go with alloy frame as here we get lots of rain during winter and steel will rust within a year or so and would do the same with On One/Planet X if alloy's available. If I choose either of these brand I will buy frame/set only and would go custom with carbon flat bar & seatpost. I like the dropbars but I prefered the control of a flatbar off road with bar end for comfort for touring.

If I go custom, can I do this combo below?

Shimano or SRAM:

mtb shifter with road Front and Rear derailleur (cassette?)?

Or I'm thinking go full off road gears.

maddog 2

by maddog 2

okay...

Rear:
- you can use a MTB 9spd right shifter with any Shimano road rear mech
- you can't use the latest 10spd MTB shifters with road rear mechs though (they only work with 10spd MTB mechs)
- if you want 10spd with a road mech then you'll need to use a SLR770 shifter

Front:
- You can't (quite) use a MTB left shifter with a road front mech, as it overshifts. You can bodge this quite easily though (with the limit screws) on a double c/set but not on a triple.
- Ideally you want a SLR440 or 770 left shifter to work properly with your road front mech.

SRAM and Shimano cassettes are interchangeable.

ps steel takes a lot longer than a year to rust :shock: trust me, I live in England

jooo

by jooo

SRAM 10 speed is all interchangeable AFAIK.

Raouligan

by Raouligan

I'm in a similar boat need something that will do everything averagely as a commuter, I'm torn between either the Crux Disc or the Croix de Fer, if the Specialized was available as a frame only I'd have one like a shot.

The new Kinesis thing looks nice as well, so that's three options now oh Singular cycles do something and Salsa and Surly as well now.

Spoiled for choice! :D

ww4

by ww4

I have decided on the Boardman Team, seems like a good bike and value and to do some upgrades later. Going to replace a few things with carbon and that heavy wheelset (Ritchey OCR DISC 700c).

Thinking of building custom wheelset nothing too expensive as this will be my CX and road cafe racer. These combo = mtb hubs XT or hope etc... not sure about the rims, mavic open pro or that new WTB CX rim, anyone got any suggestion for lightweight but not too expensive wheelset?

jooo

by jooo

Why not a Crest wheelset? Much lighter than Open Pro's!

maddog 2

by maddog 2

I run 29er Hope Hoops - Pro2EVO on Crest - on my disc'd commuter. They come in at £280 in the UK. I run them with 28mm Conti GP4Seasons (tubed).

As said, Crests are lighter than OPs by a fair chunk (380g vs 435ish)

ww4

by ww4

cool, what spokes and nipples did you use as I was thinking of using DT swiss revo 2.0/1.5/2.0 with alloy nipples? Also, can I use 23mm or is 28mm tyre is the minimum?

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

maddog 2 wrote:SRAM and Shimano cassettes are interchangeable.
Not quite.

Sram mountain & road cassettes are interchangeable with Shimano road only. Shimano mountain bike cassettes are their own standard.

jooo

by jooo

Wrong. All 10 speed Shimano and SRAM cassettes have the same c2c spacing.

ajmit3

by ajmit3

how did you get a Boardman into Aus ?

ww4

by ww4

haven't order it yet, but a few UK shops seems to ship them ok to Australia when I emailed them. Also, one of my inlaw lives there so shouldn't have no problem otherwise i'll build something else.

maddog 2

by maddog 2

Not quite

Sram road and Shimano road cassettes are the same spacing (9 and 10 spd)

Sram mtb and Shimano mtb cassettes are the same spacing (9spd)

But AFAIK Shimano MTB 10spd are (slightly) different from all other 10spd cassettes

He'll be using a road setup by the sound of though so my original point is still true: Sram and Shimano cassettes can be swapped about at will.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com