Fuchs Stevens - getting around 3,6kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Fuchspk

by Fuchspk

Hello hello,
i had this bike for some time now but never on this page.
For some years ago i startet the project to come under 6,5kg with an other frame. Times changes and so with them my bikeparts and the goals. changed the frame sometimes, changed the wheels sometimes and even the weight has come down to "under6", "under 5", "under 4,5", "under 10lb" ...yeah you get it i think.
The bike had many stages and so had i. Some years ago i mostly just bought parts, sometimes i bought quite special parts like morati stuff and so and sometimes i tried to get pieces together that were not ment to be together without doing a bit work on them.
But over time i startet to build my own stuff both in aluminium, titan and now even i carbon.
That is way more fun then just buying the parts. and the most fun is that you can build the parts exactly like you want to have them :) and thats great if you want to have the real light stuff.

the bike is almost looking like this right now

DSC_0035.jpg

since that pic i changed the seatpost-sadel and now the frame-seatpost-sadel is just one bit as i build it together

image009.jpg

right now the bike has 4296g and i said to myself that sub4000g would be cool to get this year.
i´m planing new homemade brakes, new homemade derailluer, change the fram to bb30, new cranks (maybe homemade) and some other parts will be changed.

here is the list

namnlös.JPG
Last edited by Fuchspk on Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:15 am, edited 19 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fuchspk

by Fuchspk

the frame before i got my hands on it
with 886g just 13g less as now with the seatpost and sadel ;)

IMG_0948.JPG

how it looked 2009. a pic maybe some of you know. was at the "bike of the year award"

20091230006ngvhj.jpg

some parts build by friends of me

D76AC4A0BB2B11DE9F285C284D85B6BB.jpg

dsc01091c.jpg
Last edited by Fuchspk on Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fuchspk

by Fuchspk

like i said, i startet to build my own parts in carbon.

i still have to learn a lot there and some parts are not that nice like i wanna have them to be.
but over winter now, i had a lot of training on my motorcykel parts and it gets better and better ;).
the most parts of that bike are still from last winter and do not have the looks. but they all work and are quite light :)

here is a foto session of building my brakelevers - around 77g together

20110323010.jpg

20110323022.jpg

20110724042.jpg

DSC_0044.jpg

DSC_0045.jpg

Fuchspk

by Fuchspk

i changed the bike a lot under all years.

as i am in to long distance i changed the bike more to something faster-longtrip-something-have-no-name-for-it thing :D

there was an homebuild bar with levers, a frontwheel (in a way like lightweight) build by a friend (nlb) and the hed wheel.
the bike was fun but i wanted to have it more normal after some month of riding like that.

IMG.jpg

here are some random pics of the bike and parts build by me

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0039.jpg

20100910.jpg

20100818022.jpg

image031.jpg

image004.jpg
Last edited by Fuchspk on Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

astranoc

by astranoc

It's really something, well done! I love bikes without spacers, I wish I could remove mine too.

Martin.F

by Martin.F

Wow! That is awesome. I love seeing one of a kind pieces, and the bar/lever is very very nice. I wish I could make one-piece pieces myself. Or a carbon stem. Or post/saddle. Bah. Now I'm just jealous.

How much does people charge for making integrated pieces anyway?

MrMojo

by MrMojo

Looking very nice. I take it you live somewhere flat with the single chainring and sprint freewheel.
2021 Colnago Master
2020 Colnago C64
2017 Colnago C60
2017 Colnago V1-R
2014 Cipollini RB1K
2008 Colnago Extreme C
2005 Colnago C50
2001 Colnago C40
1996 Colnago Tecnos

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Fuchspk wrote:/...But over time i startet to build my own stuff both in aluminium, titan and now even i carbon.
That is way more fun then just buying the parts. and the most fun is that you can build the parts exactly like you want to have them :) and thats great if you want to have the real light stuff.

Great, keep the good work going :thumbup:

TimmS

by TimmS

Guess I said it before, I love the minimalistic look of your bike.

Can you teell us, what have you done to the I-links?

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Really impressed just by the stem alone! How could a common person get our hands on one of those at some point in the future?

Fuchspk

by Fuchspk

thanks guy´s

yes i do not have any big hills here but i allways liked to keep the kadens down. like i said, i am in to that long distance stuff...look at england. guys there have chain rings like 60 and bigger. i am not that extrem ;)

the gold from the i-links you see is a part of an old cotton lamp-cable.
it adds around 3g to the bike but i kinda like the oldschool looks a lot :)
at other places which you can not see like in the bar and so on, i made my own houses out of carbon and aluminium and so on...

20110103005.jpg

some more pics of parts i made

an 20teeth ring. it still need some work as the chain do not like it that much. on the flats i can use it but in the hills the chain is jumping a bit :(

20100913009.jpg

as i use all the 10gears at the back, the chain goes a bit to strange sometimes and i need a guide.
this one i´m using for now. but it is quite ugly, heavy and even needs a clamp. i´m already working on a new one, just have to find the time to get ready with it.

20100824009.jpg

thats one part for my derailleur. even this one is kinda ugly but it works like it should. was one of my first carbon parts and save's 4g to an tiso part.

20100818050.jpg

this is my ahead cap. the cap i got as a gift from sebastian (carbonschmiede.de) the rest i made by myself and glued it into the fork. around 4g with the glue :)

20100909032.jpg

bikemaniack

by bikemaniack

Hi

You have still few heavy parts on your bike:) You can change skewers and pedals(TUne skyline,Aerolite),your wheels weight over 1kg. But the total weight including bottlecage:) +1:)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fuchspk

by Fuchspk

Thanks for your input.

Off course there are some heavy parts. And in a way that is good. Otherwise it would be hard to get under 4kg.

I already had the skylines. The are nice, but as I tried to change the colour on them I accidentally destroyed them.
I'v got the plan to build my own "u20". Already have the most parts for this.

About the aerolites... I actually never tried them but like I understand so are the cleats not that good on them.
Would like to try them one time. But my speedplays for example already have around 100000km and are still good. Just replaced some bearings once, changed to new butterflys and things like that. And you can walk quite a long time until you destroy the cleats (nice on hollidays)

The wheels are a bit heavy. I've got the plan to change the axels to carbon, new bearings and a bit work on the body.
That should take away 80g ore so.
Yes you could go with lighter wheels but I am quite heavy with around 90kg and I never found wheels which weighs less and are strong enough and are not braking down (already had that a lot)
With lightweight I can just ride and ride and ride and be happy :)

About the bottlecage, it is like I wrote in the list. If I ride longer than 3hours or in warm days (I live in Sweden) than I put another cage on the bike. Then the weight goes up with 8g.
But when I am not using it, I do not like the looks of an empty cage. That's why I take it off.