Gum's CRUMPTON UL 4.40kg, 9.70lbs

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

gumgardner

by gumgardner

Alright...I think it's time to let everyone in on what I'm planning for my next build (even though the Ruegamer isn't quite done yet :wink: ). When I was contemplating what to do with the Ruegamer, I started to look around at other builders. The Ruegamer was meant to be an "über" weenie build, but when the frame came in at 1087g I knew it wasnt going to be what I was looking for. After some deliberation, I decided I loved the Ruegamer frame, it's uniqueness and the fact that you wouldn't be able to get them anymore. I sold my Time and used the funds to purchase some parts for the Rue. Still not happy with the weight, I decided to look into frames that could get me into what I consider a true weenie build. I considered the BH ultralight, Spin Gato, Cervelo California and a few other ultra light frames. Ultimately, with the help of some really nice WW members, I decided my best bet would be to go forward with a Crumpton. I got in touch with Nick and we talked about what he was able to do in the way of light weight builds. He has a SL version, which is light, but nearly what I was looking at. He then told me about a UL version that he does every once in a while for customers. It was a lot lighter than the SL version and exactly what I was looking for. While I never had any issues with Bre Ruegamer during the build process, I was amazed with how professional and straightforward Nick has been. It's been an awesome experience. During one of our conversations, he mentioned a new type of tubing that he could potentially do for me. I'll get into the tubing a little later, but basically it's an Lara light tube that has internal reinforcements that would allow thinner, lighter yet stronger builds. I was sold. Here is the build blueprint that I agreed to (similar geometry to th Ruegamer):

By gumgardner at 2012-01-18

Here are a few iPhone pics that Nick just sent me. I'm not certain if this is the final frame weight before getting the Matte finish or if he managed to get a few more grams off of it. Either way, I'd say that is a really impressive weight for this size frame. :thumbup:

We went with the carbon cable routers, which saved a few grams as well. I really like how they looked. 8) The Ruegamer's are aluminum and not as aesthetic.

More info to come...I gotta run!!
Last edited by gumgardner on Sat May 05, 2012 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pierre-san

by pierre-san

OMG!!!! That is a total bulls##t weight! Congratulations... Ya goon love it Jeff. Looking forward to seeing the finished product. Cheers, Pete

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Roobay

by Roobay

yowser :shock: this amazing :thumbup: can't wait to see it in the last stage 8)
i like people... i just can't stand assholes

andyindo

by andyindo

geeeeeezzzz!!!Nicks work is amazing!!Love those cable routers!!

fat tire

by fat tire

I'm glad we poked and prodded. That is the tits.

mattiTWOROADS

by mattiTWOROADS

SO HELP ME IF THIS THREAD GOES TO EIGHTEEN PAGES BEFORE MORE PICTURES OF THIS BUILD ARE MADE PUBLIC I AM GOING TO HUNT YOU DOWN AND ... ... AND ... ... MAKE YOU RIDE A DOGMA!

(yes... I'm yelling! I got suckered into opening that "other" thread every damn time the little icon turned orange with the hope that we would finally see this amazing build... only to be disappointed. What really pissed me off is that I started to feel like a little 4th grade school girl who didn't get a pony for her birthday - and I didn't appreciate it one damned bit.)

;)
TWO ROADS cycling clothiers || tworoadscycling.com
--------------------------------------------
https://www.facebook.com/pages/TWO-ROAD ... 3235790671

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

mattiTWOROADS wrote:SO HELP ME IF THIS THREAD GOES TO EIGHTEEN PAGES BEFORE MORE PICTURES OF THIS BUILD ARE MADE PUBLIC I AM GOING TO HUNT YOU DOWN AND ... ... AND ... ... MAKE YOU RIDE A DOGMA!

+1

Also, that frame weight:

Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

gumgardner

by gumgardner

Well, it may be a little while before you see MY BUILD with this frame. I think Nick plans to show it at NABHS show, which I think would be super cool. I offered to send all of my parts for him to present it as I see fit, but with vendors and the like, he may not be able to use all of my parts. The way I have it planned, I'm looking at a bike in the 8lb range. :twisted:

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

gumgardner wrote: The Ruegamer was meant to be an "über" weenie build, but when the frame came in at 1087g I knew it wasnt going to be what I was looking for.

I admire your keeness to want to build what you call an uber lightweight build. Getting the first thing right would be a start, ie. the frame. Surely a frame with an integrated seatpost is lighter than a traditional frame + seatpost?

fallen86

by fallen86

Ridiculous weight! Congrats. What bottom bracket shell did you go with and what cranks do you have in mind?

corky

by corky

If I was going to buy another carbon bike...... it would be a crumpton. :D

Looking forward to seeing it, either at NAHBS or finished build pics :beerchug:

caseycycling

by caseycycling

Wow almost a full pound difference b/t the Crumpton and the Ruegamer, you have got to be excited. Not that many 8lb bikes floating around out there. Are you going to use parts intended to go on the previously mentioned 18page Ruegamer build for the Crumpton frame? Or are you building the Rue as planned and getting all new uber light parts for the Crumpton?

tigoose

by tigoose

prendrefeu wrote:
mattiTWOROADS wrote:SO HELP ME IF THIS THREAD GOES TO EIGHTEEN PAGES BEFORE MORE PICTURES OF THIS BUILD ARE MADE PUBLIC I AM GOING TO HUNT YOU DOWN AND ... ... AND ... ... MAKE YOU RIDE A DOGMA!

+1

Also, that frame weight:

this i find is the funniest post i've seen :thumbup:

jdp211

by jdp211

gumgardner wrote:\The way I have it planned, I'm looking at a bike in the 8lb range. :twisted:

sweet jesus :shock:
We must have pics from NAHBS

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Delfino

by Delfino

gumgardner wrote:The way I have it planned, I'm looking at a bike in the 8lb range. :twisted:

I can't wait for the final effect!