C.A.T.-USA Cat Claws v. Zero Gravity brakes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nzkiwiguy

by nzkiwiguy

Cadence90 - thanks for keeping the forum "clean". However ZeroG - thanks for taking the time to discuss brakes and your product here. I think it is great that a manufacturer is willing to discuss the grey area's of their skill, particulary when this is the third thread on lightweight brakes.

ZeroG raises an interesting point re lever modulation. I am building a new TT bike. Aero brakes have a shorter stroke and less of an extension from the pivot. Granted you are not using them as much. Thoughts to ponder.

I would like to see a specific area where manufacturers could relay tech info (edited to remove sales pitches and any knocking of the competition)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cadence90

by cadence90

nzkiwiguy wrote:Cadence90 - thanks for keeping the forum "clean". However ZeroG - thanks for taking the time to discuss brakes and your product here. I think it is great that a manufacturer is willing to discuss the grey area's of their skill, particulary when this is the third thread on lightweight brakes.

ZeroG raises an interesting point re lever modulation. I am building a new TT bike. Aero brakes have a shorter stroke and less of an extension from the pivot. Granted you are not using them as much. Thoughts to ponder.

I would like to see a specific area where manufacturers could relay tech info (edited to remove sales pitches and any knocking of the competition)

Excellent idea! I too really appreciated Zero's description and directness and found the post enlightening. I just didn't think we want this to become another kind of snit fit we saw re: carbon cranks, but Zero's a designer/fabricator, I gather, not only a salesman, and so the kind of person whose expertise would be most welcome here I would think....What would be good about the mnfr. section would also be the informed descriptions of fabrication practices and material limits/possibilities, which most of us non-engineers/producers would not really know too much about....
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

cirroc

by cirroc

Anyone know of a source of Ti fasteners besides SRP for large forks like the AlphaQ Sub3? The M6x1x25mm nut won't work with the Cat/ZeroG front brake which has a 1" center bolt. The closest part available is a 30mm steel nut from an old Kestral fork of mine.

By the way, I've had great experience with other light brakes: 3K miles on BREWlites and 10K miles on Cane Creek BRS-200s. My fastest descent was 62.5 mph on a very hilly course.
\'kee-rok\ I'm just an unfrozen caveman. Your world frightens and confuses me.

cadence90

by cadence90

cirroc wrote:Anyone know of a source of Ti fasteners besides SRP for large forks like the AlphaQ Sub3? The M6x1x25mm nut won't work with the Cat/ZeroG front brake which has a 1" center bolt. The closest part available is a 30mm steel nut from an old Kestral fork of mine.

By the way, I've had great experience with other light brakes: 3K miles on BREWlites and 10K miles on Cane Creek BRS-200s. My fastest descent was 62.5 mph on a very hilly course.

Why not write Ted at Zero Gravity:
web: http://www.zerogravitybike.com/index.html
e-mail: tech@zerogravitybike.com

otherwise, but not as good as SRP, you might try:
Loose Screws http://www.thethirdhand.com/
Branford Bike http://www.branfordbike.com/
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

nzkiwiguy

by nzkiwiguy

Found these while looking for a disk

XLAB 130 and XLAB 150 Calipers
The X130 has the ideal stopping power in a premium grade, single pivot brake. Comes complete with pads and weighs in at 130g.
The X150 is an efficient dual pivot caliper with sleek black looks and laser etched graphics. Comes complete with pads and weighs in at 150g.
Attachments
XLAB_Brakes.jpg
XLAB_Brakes.jpg (11.61 KiB) Viewed 2699 times

cadence90

by cadence90

Spytech, CAADHEAD et al:

New letter from Ted Ciamillo re: upgrade from CAT to Zero.
I asked him about upgrade about 2-3 weeks ago, now he's listened and come up with a second, complete upgrade package. :!: This is super listening and Customer Service, it's pretty clear he cares that his product develop a great reputation.

The details of the upgrade packages can be viewed on a page just added to the website. The link to that page can be found at the bottom of the "spec" page, titled, "upgrade packages". http://www.zerogravitybike.com

Hi .....,

Hope you are well...
Due to the number of requests, I am now offering two upgrade packages for the '03 CAT-claws; this new one includes an upgrade to the new pad holders. I am simply re-machining them to accept the spherical surface of the holders.

Thanks,

Ted Ciamillo
Ciamillo Components, Inc. www.zerogravitybike.com
(706).757.2414

See also http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1330

Superlite

by Superlite

You know you posted that twice? :wink:

cadence90

by cadence90

Superlite wrote:You know you posted that twice? :wink:

Yeah, I posted the "upgrade to the upgrade" description on both threads related to CAT-Claws versus Zero Gravity....I thought it is cool that ZG came up with this product servicing. :wink: :wink:

spytech

by spytech

cadence90 wrote:Spytech, CAADHEAD et al:

I asked him about upgrade about 2-3 weeks ago, now he's listened and come up with a second, complete upgrade package. :!: This is super listening and Customer Service, it's pretty clear he cares that his product develop a great reputation.

The details of the upgrade packages can be viewed on a page just added to the website. The link to that page can be found at the bottom of the "spec" page, titled, "upgrade packages". http://www.zerogravitybike.com

Hi .....,

Hope you are well...
Due to the number of requests, I am now offering two upgrade packages for the '03 CAT-claws; this new one includes an upgrade to the new pad holders. I am simply re-machining them to accept the spherical surface of the holders.

Thanks,

Ted Ciamillo
(706).757.2414

thanks for the info, i just might do that. 55 bucks is not bad at all.

cadence90

by cadence90

spytech wrote:
cadence90 wrote:Spytech, CAADHEAD et al:

Hi .....,

Hope you are well...

Thanks,

Ted Ciamillo
(706).757.2414

thanks for the info, i just might do that. 55 bucks is not bad at all.

the 55 gets you the basic upgrade, 85 remachines the pad holders to allow toe-in adjustment of the pads, which maybe is not an issue on the old CATs, I don't know, but I find it useful on my brakeset....so the 85 starts to get steep if you can sell the old CATs at a good price and get new Zero's you might actually spend a fair amount less than that...just a thought.