Berk PROTO-TYPE Composites

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

DuPreez

by DuPreez

Tidy looking female moulds you have there, well done. Any plans on how you are going to make the bladders?

Oh and GOOD LUCK with the curing process!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Thanks! About the curing process - that's the part that I scare the most :mrgreen: hopefully everything will be ok. For the PT3 frame I made similar moulds, but they were made much weaker and also not that precise and were destroyed after one attempt (mainly because the curing temperature). These should last a bit longer, I also used different/better materials and made them much stronger.
I make also the "balloons" for the further process by myself - with vacuuming foil, of course with a lot of improvisation.

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

For the build I'll use Sram Red parts and Ritchey WCS. The fork will be from Enve/Edge (tapered). I'll remove the paint that it will match the frame..

Anyway, here are the parts:

Pedals: Look Keo Carbon 230g
Rear derailleur: Sram Red 144g
Front derailleur: Sram Red with 34.9mm clamp 84g
Levers: Sram Red 294g
Brakes: Sram Red 250g
Bottle Cages: Tacx Uma Carbon with bolts 46g
Crankset: Sram Red BB30, 53/39, 172.5 634g

The red colour is covered with some black labels - I already had it like that on my PT3 bike, and it works great.

And my favourite bar+stem combo. Not really WW, but I just love it. Could change the bar for a carbon one, but for 40g of difference and cca. 200eur costs...it's not worth for me :mrgreen:.

Stem: Ritchey WCS 130mm/-17* 137g
Bar: Ritchey WCS Logic II 42cm 243g

Probably I'll be able to get a new Sram Red Black groupset (without crankset), and I'm really thinking that I'll rather sell this group and get the Black groupset..will see..a friend of mine will get a bike with that groupset and won't need the Red Black groupset.. Any suggestions? It would look nice if I would change at least the brakes...will see...

Here just some more parts, waiting for the new frame..

salska

by salska

hi
A would choose sram Red "black", it will match with the frame...
Why don't you make light bottle cage?

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Will see if I'll even be able to get the black edition, I still have to finish the frame first ;)

About the bottle cages - I already made some. But it's quite a lot of work for a bottle cage if you want to make it solid. I don't like those ultralight bottle cages like Tune Skyline etc., altought it's the easiest shape that you can make. But you can't use any bottle and I prefer to have a solid bottle cage. A few weeks ago I get the Tacx Uma Carbon bottle cages and already wanted to sell them, but will give them a try if I won't sell them.

The thing that I hate the most is to have some bad bottle cages. I remember a few years ago when we had a stage race with our U19 national team and I get some stupid bottle cages (I think that it was from Saso or something like that) and lost 3 bottles in only one 120km long stage. In the evening I went to our team car and throw those "super fancy" bottle cages in the trash somewhere in Germany around Karlsberg (I was really furious), and changed them for some stell bottle cages - who cares a few grams more if you're thirsty :mrgreen:. And one more reason why I hate bad bottle cages..probably I already mentioned, but last year I had a bad crash on a UCI 1.1 race, damaged my back quite hard and couldn't even walk normal for a few weeks..anyway, the reason was a crash in the downhil section because a few guys lost their bottles (because the bad road) and there was a crash at around 70km/h. I was in the hospital quite long..ultralight bottle cages? No way. I had Elite Custom bottle cages last season, and after more than 24 000 km didn't lost even one bottle.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Not all light weight cages are bad

The truely good ones are just a little expensive ;)

kgt

by kgt

Nice bartape choise. This wilier (made by gist) tape is IME the best. Not that light but top comfort, feel and looks.
http://www.gistitalia.com/
Last edited by kgt on Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Sure they aren't, but what I wanted to say - I want to be sure that I won't lost any bottle cage. Unfortunately had some bad experiances with light bottle cages and I rather avoid using them.. Otherwise the Tacx bottle cages that I have are only 20g each.

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

kgt wrote:This wilier (made by girs) tape is IME the best. Not that light but top comfort, feel and looks.

+1 :thumbup:

We used it in the past season and I really like it

Chadwick890

by Chadwick890

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/ProductIm ... n_cage.jpg
Theres a reason most of the Pro Peleton use Custom Elite cages :) They would be the best move i think.

But i look forward to seeing how the frame turns out :) as i said on facebook, im always happy to test the final product ;) after you that is :)

munk93

by munk93

Another good bottlecage is the Tacx Tao. I prefer the alloy version, because you can bend so the bottle would sit more tight.

ricerocket

by ricerocket

I like Arundel's cages. They build them with a structural foam core, and they're super strong. Never lost a bottle.

http://www.arundelbike.com/mandible.html?p=1.1.1.7

Roeboe

by Roeboe

Berk wrote:

And my favourite bar+stem combo. Not really WW, but I just love it. Could change the bar for a carbon one, but for 40g of difference and cca. 200eur costs...it's not worth for me :mrgreen:.

Stem: Ritchey WCS 130mm/-17* 137g
Bar: Ritchey WCS Logic II 42cm 243g

Nooooo, please go with wcs classic bend!!!! :wink:

BmanX

by BmanX

I am pretty sure Jure has mentioned that this bend works for him better as it does me. So I get why he would choice this over traditional bend. Everyone has different tastes when it comes to contact points.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

@ricerocket:
Wow, didn't knew that, really nice!

@Roeboe
Sorry, but like BmanX said: "Everyone has different tastes when it comes to contact points".
But it's true that I didn't really try the classic bend for some longer rides. But my first impression wasn't good, it was just like "driving a wheelbarrow" for me :mrgreen:. If possible I'll try to get a carbon Ritchey bar (depends on $$) - I use that Ritchey shape since 2005 if I'm right...anyway, it sure works great for me :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com