Foot roll

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

dkwperth

by dkwperth

Hi all,

about 18 months ago I broke my ankle (the medial malleolus - the inside knob on the tibia). Since then I've been tonking along on a MTB, and mostly wearing ordinary shoes when doing so. Anyway, I've just got back onto a road bike and into new road shoes and over the past few days have noticed that when pedalling I am pressing hard on the outside of the foot rather than on the ball of the foot. I must have changed my gait a bit to take some weight off the inside leg, but I'd like to correct it because it feels a bit odd on the bike, and there's a bit of pain in the soleus and calf muscles, and up in the medial muscles just above the knee.

Any suggestions for a suitable approach?

Dave

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Arky

by Arky

The mechanics of the foot are amazing aren't they? If you are on speedplays, I would get off of them asap and eliminate that variable.

bricky21

by bricky21

I would experiment with arch support, wedging, and cleat position before trying different pedals.

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

I would get a comprehensive bike fit by someone who really know their biomechanics and can make good use of system like Retul.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

dkwperth

by dkwperth

I'm on Time RXS pedals, which I had used without any problems for about 5 years before the break.

I was a bit surprised at how noticeable the difference is - those big MTB platform pedals let me get away with quite a bit I guess.