AX Lightness wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

xrs2

by xrs2

My AX Lightness SRT42/Dash wheel set is arriving today!

I've been riding alloy tubular wheels for years, and this is my very first set of CF tubular wheels. Should be ~880 g. Already have some FMBs stretching.

Just thought I'd share the joy as I sit here trying to work.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gumgardner

by gumgardner

Let us know how you like them...especially the hubs.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Wishing you a lot of happy km's on that set!
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

theremery

by theremery

Ohhhhhh poop. I'm feeling the green eyed monster of jealousy build up in me right now. That is 2 brands that I have some serious time for. I LOVE my dash hubs and think Weston is a bit of a genius. Veronica/Mira hubset? Hmmmmm SRT 42....you may have just given me an idea :) (my 49mm chinese ultralights died this week and the hubs are going to be orphans for a while).....off to do some research.
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

Which dash hubs did you get? I would love to see a few photos.
Mark

xrs2

by xrs2

Dash built them for me with the Mira-Veronica hubs. 16 front, 20 rear. I weigh 135-140, so please don't worry about the spoke count :D

I should have read my e-mail more closely...they sent me the front wheel, but the rear rim for the wheel is held up in customs. So right now I have one front wheel. I'm on day 2 of the gluing process, and provided I can find some 40 mm extenders (I have 60 mm and they are way too long!) I will be gluing on a 25 mm FMB tomorrow.

Of course that does me no good, but I can take a picture for you....and in case you're wondering why I'm using a 25 mm tire, those are what I have on hand that are appropriately aged.

cerro

by cerro

AX-Lightness, Dash and FMBtires. You have to show us some pictures when your finished. Seems like a lovely combination :)

xrs2

by xrs2

Front wheel all glued up and ready to go...now I just have to 1) wait for the rear wheel and 2) wait for Mr English to finish my bike (some time next month)!

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

I love the DASH hubs. How are they for durability. Are they made for racing? I would love a set of the Nikki/Monica hubs for my next wheels assuming they can take the pressure of a 175lb rider.

xrs2

by xrs2

I can't answer that question directly, both because I haven't ridden the wheels yet and because I only weigh ~140 lbs.

I was told the Mira/Veronica hubs were used in cyclocross successfully last year; just as a guess they'd probably hold up for you. The Mira/Veronica set have a weight limit of 176 lbs (80 kg), the Nikki/Monica set have a 220-lb (100 kg) limit.

xrs2

by xrs2

A few pictures here...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36397392@N ... hotostream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36397392@N ... otostream/

Just waiting for the rear wheel and, more importantly, the bike they'll be going on and I'll have a review.

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

Mr English?.. This is going to be one hell of a nice bike! :thumbup:

xrs2

by xrs2

Yes, I'm looking forward to it.

In my case, custom really makes sense. I crushed a disc in my neck about 3 years ago in a bike accident; it's tough to find an ultralight bike that provides only the small amount of saddle/bar drop I need without a giant tower of spacers. Plus the bike is specifically intended for ultra distances--my preferred mode of riding--and is designed to provide stable, predictable handling when I'm exhausted.

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

I am also waiting for Rob to build me something. In my case it is just a fork/stem combo unfortunately :?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xrs2

by xrs2