Best rear MTB tire??

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

I want some feedback on which rear tire is best for average packed, very technical trails. Trails have lots of rocks and roots and short steep climbs. Looking for good traction and light weight???

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

What do you call lightweight? 300gr? 400 gr? the schwalbe fast fred and racing ralph are both very nice tires. The fred is 360 gr. and semi slick. the ralph is 460 gr. and a knobblie. But it has the rolling resistance of an semi slick 8)

Good luck.

(maybe you can start a poll!)
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nikh

by nikh

Have you considered the Nokian NBX Lite?

It is primarily a race tire but it sure is fast and fairly light!

I found mine for $30.99 at Aebike.com

Mbuk had a review on them:

http://www.mbuk.com/kittestdetails.asp?id=237

elendil

by elendil

For technical trails I would not take a "semi-slick" or "semi-knob" tire as Fast Fred or Twister (Supersonic). If weight is very important Michelin Comp S light or Nokian NBX lite or perhaps Schwalbe Racing Ralph, if weight is not that important Michelin XL S (good grip and low rolling resistance, approx. 550g).

Sandal

by Sandal

if we're talking about racing, then i would suggest Kenda klimax lite. it's 345-350g semislick. 1.75 (thou claimed 1.95) it can be well combined with maxxis flylight 1.5 tube (90g) and you've got one of the lightest rear wheel setups on the market.
unless you ride in real muddy conditions, or expect superb braking and turn traction on the downhills, Kenda is likely the best of all i tried, whihc are Contis supersonic, traction, escape, t+c, Mich Light S, Maxxis flylight, mosquitos and python(also very good but rather heavy IMHO).
weight concerned = good, weight obsessed = bad!

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

ehm sandal,

he's looking for a tire that will hold up with rocks and roots. I'm a kenda lover myself. (ride with kozmic lite's) but i think that the klimax won't hold up with rocks....
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

nzkiwiguy

by nzkiwiguy

Maxxis Larson TT 1.9 460gm. Great traction and little rollong resistence. Use for everything but mud.

jer

by jer

I've had great luck with the WTB Epicwolf. It's a bit heavier than the superlights, but much tougher and it rolls fast too. 465-475g for the race 1.95 version.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com