2011 CANYON ULTIMATE CF (new updates page 12)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

ruffryder

by ruffryder

Love the bike and your wheel builds! Do you find anything wrong with foam core rims? Are they not as stiff and why do they use foam core? Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

philhul

by philhul

Thanks. Would you also mind me asking what you weigh? I was going to go 20 spokes front and 24 rear but I've heard the rims aren't the strongest and I think I may need more spokes. I'm 76kg.

Thanks again.

farm_lim

by farm_lim

@ruffryder, thanks. these very light foam core rims are not really the strongest if compared to the heavier unbranded rims from china. i have a pair of 20mms lying around with some cracks at the spoke holes (too thin), one was during the wheel build and 2 after a ride. their braking surfaces also heat up faster if used with rubber pads (swisstops, koolstops). now my 50mms have nipple washers and so far no problems.
foam cores are used as the mold instead of internal bladder molds. they also 'supposedly' help structurally strengthen the rim.

@philhul, 68kg. not as stiff as the eurus and ksyriums i used before (too stiff i think) but holds me up fine.
you cant buy fitness, but you can buy advantage.

djm

by djm

Fantastic bike!

Really like the frame with the orange accents, but I understand you instead opted for a more fitting size?

Great job.

Stockie

by Stockie

Could it be possible to post a better picture of your b-e-a-utiful bike with the low kinlin's mounted? The are amazing!
Thanks
I Will make the leap

farm_lim

by farm_lim

Stockie wrote:Could it be possible to post a better picture of your b-e-a-utiful bike with the low kinlin's mounted? The are amazing!
Thanks

thanks!
there's one on the previous page. thats the only one i have with the kinlins mounted.

simotrent81

by simotrent81

farm_lim wrote:@ruffryder, thanks. these very light foam core rims are not really the strongest if compared to the heavier unbranded rims from china. i have a pair of 20mms lying around with some cracks at the spoke holes (too thin), one was during the wheel build and 2 after a ride. their braking surfaces also heat up faster if used with rubber pads (swisstops, koolstops). now my 50mms have nipple washers and so far no problems.
foam cores are used as the mold instead of internal bladder molds. they also 'supposedly' help structurally strengthen the rim.

@philhul, 68kg. not as stiff as the eurus and ksyriums i used before (too stiff i think) but holds me up fine.

Hi , compliment for your bike, it's amazing, and also the pictures!!!!!
I can ask how tall are you? and your incem.?
I'm 173 cm and 79 cm but someone said me to buy a 52 size but i'm not agree, i prefer 50.

Thank you

farm_lim

by farm_lim

simotrent81 wrote:I can ask how tall are you? and your incem.?
I'm 173 cm and 79 cm but someone said me to buy a 52 size but i'm not agree, i prefer 50.

thanks for the compliments!
169.5 and 74 inseam. as you can see, i was also on a 52 before. almost the same toptube length, 3mm diff. but didnt like the 14cm headtubem so i downsized.

farm_lim

by farm_lim

some updates.
now running on rotor no-q rings.

the frm rings go here, just incase i need to go all-out light.

cakelover

by cakelover

Hi Farm Lin

Really enjoyed reading this post as i am about to buy an Ultimate SLX CF 8.0.

This comes with the Ksyriums Elite and wondered if you know whether it is possible to remove the decals from the rims? i see that you had them on that build after your crash.

Also how much did it cost for your unbranded 50mms, for the full wheels set inc build costs?

thanks

PS. you obviously have a talent for building beautiful bikes

jdp211

by jdp211

Can you comment on the quality/durability of the Dati hubs? I'm looking at a budget wheel build myself and those have certainly come up.

farm_lim

by farm_lim

cakelover wrote:Hi Farm Lin

Really enjoyed reading this post as i am about to buy an Ultimate SLX CF 8.0.

This comes with the Ksyriums Elite and wondered if you know whether it is possible to remove the decals from the rims? i see that you had them on that build after your crash.

Also how much did it cost for your unbranded 50mms, for the full wheels set inc build costs?

thanks

PS. you obviously have a talent for building beautiful bikes

thanks for the compliments!
i had ksyrium SL, not elites. but yes, you can just take out the decals as they are stickers. didnt crash by the way, just warped the ec90s on a steep descent when i couldnt overtake a slow moving bus.
50mm foam core rims-250-300$ shipped. soul kozak hubs- around 450$ shipped. dt aerolites + wheelbuild- around 200$.

farm_lim

by farm_lim

jdp211 wrote:Can you comment on the quality/durability of the Dati hubs? I'm looking at a budget wheel build myself and those have certainly come up.

good for the money!
no durability issues. bearings still spin smooth up to now, although the axles/bearings are undersized compared to the other hubs these days.

farm_lim

by farm_lim

just to update.
took apart the canyon when i coudnt fix creaking issues with the BB. sent it back to canyon which was found it later to be just a loose cable guide.

rode this during that time, a size 50 caad10.

then as with my canyon, downsized to a 48.

got the canyon back a few weeks ago.

then got some parts for the rebuild
lizard aluminum cable housing

carbon lever skewers w/ ti axle.

6k cycles 27.2 aluminum seatpost

seqlite 11-27 aluminum cassette

farm_lim

by farm_lim

sub-600 crankset w/ bb24 for this rebuild.

fiberlyte rd inner cage

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com