Trek TTx ebay built

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

Hello everyone! I thought it would be interesting to share my project, even though this forum is almost exclusively for road bikes. I became a weight weenie not long ago, I registered here just about two months ago. First, my defense in favor of TT's; Its not all about speed, I have competed in many races with crasy climbs, also, for those who train with TT's, Its nice to have something decent out there. In my case, I just have this TT, no road bike because I am missing three fingers on my right hand, just having the little finger to brake, which is kind of scary .... I've tried before.

A little more about: I first started building this TT with matching parts, I chose full Dura ace at first, including a DA C24 wheelset for training. For racing, a have the Zipp 808/404, dropping the weight in 250g compared with C24, But.. my goal has changed since I started having as a priority guess what?!.... weight saving, that's when the game started...Excel spreadsheets, :wink: ...hours on the internet, ebay watcher, panning in this forum...etc. and my first upgrade was switching the brake calipers from DA 7800 to Zero Gravity.....yes...I consider myself a weight weeny after that.

Unfortunately I began to weigh the parts in the middle of the assembly, so I regret of not having the frame/fork weight, and some components. but here is the scope: and I will be updating in the future.

Frame/Fork; Trek TTX -
Seatpost; bontrager -
Brakes calipers; Zero gravity OG Ti (79.7 rear + 84.25 front) - 163.95
Brake pads;
wheelset; ZIPP front(573.9) rear (791.9 ) - 1365.8
Tires; Tufo Tires tubular rear - 210.6
Tufo Tires tubular front - 210.6
cassette; 12-23 Ultegra - 220
skewers; rosetti - 43
saddle; Adamo Time trial - 280
stem; Easton 20 degrees -
Aero bar; Zipp vuka - 665
Brake levers; Bontrager race XXX lite -
shifters; shimano DA - 185
rear deraill; Shimano DA (Omnin pulley 18) - 192
Front deraill; Shimano DA - 72
Crankset; SRM (832g) + BB Enduro (87g) - 919
CPU; PCV and cables(121g) - 121
chain; Ultegra -
pedals; Look Keo easy (pair) - 258
bottle cage; Look - 23
TOTAL for now: 8084g

future changes:
f/ SRM (919) to Zipp Vuma Quad(560) - PCV/cables(121); 480
f/ ADAMO saddle (280) to dash tt09 saddle (86); 194
f/ cassette ultegra 11-23 (220) to recon 10sp 11-25; (110) 100
f/ Look Keo easy (258) to Look Keo Blade TI (190); 68
f/ DA rear derailleur (192) to Sram red rear der; (153) 39
f/ DA front derailleur (72) to Sram red front der; (58) 14
f/ DA TT shifters (185) to Sram TT RC2 aero shifters (175); 10
New TOTAL weight: 7095g
Last edited by andreszucs on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:54 pm, edited 7 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

Photos soon...

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

Actual version:

Photoshop with some future changes: With Dash saddle / Sram TT shifters and Trek logo:

With Zipp Vuma quad:

Now all depends of the Budjet!!!!

NGMN

by NGMN

Sweet bike. One suggestion, in working on fit with some more experienced people than I who have been to wind tunnels numerous times, would be to bring your extensions to even. Often having your hands down is less aerodynamic. It's not a sure thing but it's slower a big majority of the time.

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

Thanks NGMN, I agree with you, however, I tried to fix this angle but I never felt comfortable for long distances like Ironman's wish is my specialty, It could work for a sprint distance or Olympic Triathlon, looking forward to improve that.

TriRig

by TriRig

Lovely ride. I'm guessing you read TriRig, since that's where your source image of the Dash saddle comes from. So I'll suggest that the finishing touch on that ride will be a pair of Omega brakes. Won't be too long until they're ready. http://tririg.com/omega

Mikmik

by Mikmik

I am jealous how good a smaller frame looks...it's more compact than the larger ones and it just looks so efficient.

Anyway, one thing for aero. Lengthen the front callipers brake cable housing so it sits more in front of the head tube rather than hanging completely out in the wind.

+7000 for the adamo saddle....not everything is about weight!!!! Oh jeeebuz did I have pain and numbness issues till I found the Adamo saddle.
It's not how much you spend on a bike it's how hard you can ride it.

Geoff

by Geoff

You should switch to rear-wheel speed and run the cables internally. What bar clip is that?

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

Zenkai wrote:Lovely ride. I'm guessing you read TriRig, since that's where your source image of the Dash saddle comes from. So I'll suggest that the finishing touch on that ride will be a pair of Omega brakes. Won't be too long until they're ready. http://tririg.com/omega" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting brakes, how the system will work? similar to ee brakes?

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

Mikmik wrote:I am jealous how good a smaller frame looks...it's more compact than the larger ones and it just looks so efficient.

Anyway, one thing for aero. Lengthen the front callipers brake cable housing so it sits more in front of the head tube rather than hanging completely out in the wind.

+7000 for the adamo saddle....not everything is about weight!!!! Oh jeeebuz did I have pain and numbness issues till I found the Adamo saddle.

Very good comment about the housing Zenkai, interesting how I never noticed that, but now I can't look at that front side picture without complains... :) it will be my next work on the bike.

Dash saddle suppose to have the same ou very similar shape like Adamo, its a goal that I have, but is still expensive, over $600. :?

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

Geoff wrote:You should switch to rear-wheel speed and run the cables internally. What bar clip is that?

I was not able to understand what do you mean about the rear-wheel speed? I am using tha Zipp vuka basebar + Zipp vuka Clip and extentions, is lighter than the ZIPP vuka aero integrated system.

Mikmik

by Mikmik

andreszucs wrote:
Mikmik wrote:I am jealous how good a smaller frame looks...it's more compact than the larger ones and it just looks so efficient.

Very good comment about the housing Zenkai, interesting how I never noticed that, but now I can't look at that front side picture without complains... :) it will be my next work on the bike.

Dash saddle suppose to have the same ou very similar shape like Adamo, its a goal that I have, but is still expensive, over $600. :?

I though you'd mention the Dash saddle but that model despite the fact that it's UCI approved is ugly as!!!! Each to their own and the weight of it is unbelievable. Still though, unless you are doing 'climbeir' TTs then the weight of a saddle is pretty much here nor there. I do not worry about the saddle weight added to the build as long as the pay off is comfort.

Happy building :)......
It's not how much you spend on a bike it's how hard you can ride it.

Geoff

by Geoff

Sorry, I was talking about your SRM set-up. With a wired system, you can get a cleaner cable run using a rear-wheel speed sensor and running it internally throughout the downtube.

On the bar clip, I was speaking of your SRM, too did you make that TT clip? How about a pic?

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

Mikmik wrote:
andreszucs wrote:

I though you'd mention the Dash saddle but that model despite the fact that it's UCI approved is ugly as!!!! Each to their own and the weight of it is unbelievable. Still though, unless you are doing 'climbeir' TTs then the weight of a saddle is pretty much here nor there. I do not worry about the saddle weight added to the build as long as the pay off is comfort.

Happy building :)......

Sorry, My comment was for Mikmik... :oops:

shadwell

by shadwell

My list of tweaks:-

Agree bar down, likely sub optimal from aero stance. Perhaps comfort is dur to extnsion bend not being best fot for you, forcing a downward pointing current solution.

Down tube bottle... chage to BTA (see tri rig) your arm rests appear wide enough...

You have a neg rise stem with spacers.. sugget flat (horozntal stemm and no spacers for same position). Improved front end stiffness and les frontal area... and more space for BTA

Remove decals from Rims... waste mass...

Keep the Da front mech SRAM not the best and saving is minial....

Agree Geoff front sensor location is sub optimal....

Tufo tyres may be light but they will not be rewarding ou with min rolling resistance and best ride / handling compromise...suggest veloflex carbon comp's or conti comp for training.....

Cut the exposed shaft thread tips of the quick release sqewers .. in the wind and unnessecary mass....

Get a cente pull front calliper as suggested to remove cable from clean air.....

Happy modding... :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com