Join the light side

a light bike does make you go faster unless you are slow

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

toad

by toad

Love this build, and that crank is leaving drool all over my keyboard.

A word on the wheels, I also run Enve 45 tubulars for any races with a bump in the road, and 65 Clinchers for everyday riding and as crit weapons. My rear Enve 45 is 28 spokes and it feel really great out of the saddle and sprinting. But Enve doesn't sell the 1.45 in 28 whole, you have to get their only slightly heavier 2.45.

So how have those hubs been treating you? I am thinking about building a 1.25/Extralight wheelset for the coming race season.
SkidMap.Com
2011 Cannondale Scalpel
2010 Giant TCR Advanced SL
1943 Sieber Track Bike

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

toad wrote:Love this build, and that crank is leaving drool all over my keyboard.

A word on the wheels, I also run Enve 45 tubulars for any races with a bump in the road, and 65 Clinchers for everyday riding and as crit weapons. My rear Enve 45 is 28 spokes and it feel really great out of the saddle and sprinting. But Enve doesn't sell the 1.45 in 28 whole, you have to get their only slightly heavier 2.45.

So how have those hubs been treating you? I am thinking about building a 1.25/Extralight wheelset for the coming race season.

I totally love the extralite hubs

If you go for this set up get a 20- 28 setup.. That would be stiff in the back while giving nothing away up front.

Make sure you build up using the SP hub set. It's a fair bit wider than the others and the newest designs..

Last edited by sugarkane on Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toad

by toad

That's the same as my ENVE 45 right now (20/28), really nice setup. So you're talking about the straight pull version, right. Since I race here in Utah, I see the ENVE employees at a lot of the races, and one of them was running the Extralight SP hubs laced to a set of Smart Enve 6.7 rims at LOTOJA (332 km Road Race). It looked like a really nice setup.
SkidMap.Com
2011 Cannondale Scalpel
2010 Giant TCR Advanced SL
1943 Sieber Track Bike

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

toad wrote:That's the same as my ENVE 45 right now (20/28), really nice setup. So you're talking about the straight pull version, right. Since I race here in Utah, I see the ENVE employees at a lot of the races, and one of them was running the Extralight SP hubs laced to a set of Smart Enve 6.7 rims at LOTOJA (332 km Road Race). It looked like a really nice setup.

Yea the SP hubs are the way to go as they are very wide
With the enve 1.25 rims you could build those wheels under 900g

I just relaced my SL front wheel to an SPM hub
It was a total of 15mm wider in spoke spacing
And I saved 3g :D

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Did a few kms on the new cranks today and new specked Front wheel.

:mrgreen: I can't say for sure it's not THM placebo but the set up feels stiffter and more direct..
As campag SR cranks are pretty bloody ace I'm guessing that it's the stiffter chain rings and more solid BB set up that is bringing the ( I think.. Really could totally be the new bits placebo ) increase in stiffness.
The campag solution for bb30 does need a little bit of work as the cups work loose and mine did show a little wear indicating that they were moving a little

The rebuilt front wheel is also stiffer too allowing me to run the pads in much tighter without any annoying pad rub..

Over all I'm very happy with the bike!

I'll try and get a few pics of the bike in the outdoors.

MaLóL

by MaLóL

Great bike. i liked much more the looks of the clavicula, but about performance i have no clue about which one is better. This one looks really strange though, too sharp edges, looks kind of cheap. You don't care about aesthetics at all right?

If you want I can teach you how to properly bar tape. I have a couple links from youtube. I know two main techniques, but your technique is a bit weird right? why is there a bump on the right shifter? is it on purpose? looks uncomfortable. you should better use the "8 shape" taping, or the one with a short pice of tape placed first behind the shifter. It will look and feel much better I think.
Happy trails !!!!!

tonytourist

by tonytourist

Glad to hear you're liking the Praxis Works chainrings :thumbup:
Mine should be here this week, looking forward to using them.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

MaLóL wrote:Great bike. i liked much more the looks of the clavicula, but about performance i have no clue about which one is better. This one looks really strange though, too sharp edges, looks kind of cheap. You don't care about aesthetics at all right?

If you want I can teach you how to properly bar tape. I have a couple links from youtube. I know two main techniques, but your technique is a bit weird right? why is there a bump on the right shifter? is it on purpose? looks uncomfortable. you should better use the "8 shape" taping, or the one with a short pice of tape placed first behind the shifter. It will look and feel much better I think.

I need some proper photos taken of the bike... But the m3s do not look cheap by any stretch.. I could have brOught a set of std Clavicula cranks but the swooping spider design isn't to my liking so I got the ones I like the look of.. And in real life they are pretty dam fine looking cranks.
And I don't think you seem to grasp the fact that what you think looks good has nothing to do with what I think looks good for instance the synface stems look rubbish if you ask me.. I wouldn't run one on anything. Also let's see your handy work, you don't mind been critical of others builds but I haven't seen anything you've put together..

I'm not the best bar taper I can live with that though.

The parlee is goin into my friends stuido next week for a few pictures trust me it's a hot little bike and it's performance is nothing short of stunning

MaLóL

by MaLóL

I guess you are right, I have no taste (and nobody else from the mayority of riders who prefer Syntace stems, proper bar taping and the original claviculas) and you have, hehe.
Take a look at this. Video has two parts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psmxYxmE3T8
You are welcome.

My builds:
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13401&start=15
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=98169
Happy trails !!!!!

andy2
in the industry

by andy2

I loove your Parlee S-kane! Those M3 cranks with the Praxis rings are pretty great no?!
rolobikes

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

andy2 wrote:I loove your Parlee S-kane! Those M3 cranks with the Praxis rings are pretty great no?!

They have noticeably better performance (stiffness and drive) than the SR cranks i had running a campag bb30 setup.
Which I'm putting down to the better bb30 system and the stiffer chain rings
I'm very happy with them, I wasn't that fussed on the look of the praxis chainrings but went for the best shifting option as recommended by Madcow.
The set up turned out to be a whole lot nicer than expected and the shifting is slick and very positive
the m3s look real nice in the flesh, the finish is very slick, THM don't make rubbish
I really like the Spider system, you can change to std bcb rings and an SRM down the line with out spending up large or buying new cranks and they lend the way for a set of one peice spider-less chainrings too which would be very slick

I ride 2-300 kms a week and weigh 85kgs. I'm very happy with the setup, I have had zero component failures and once every thing was setup right zero issues with any of the parts I've chosen to use. And I've recently started doing much longer rides, 3-4 hours in the saddle. It's a very comfortable little bike and it rewards been ridden fast very nicely
Can't really complain about that.
I will get some pictures that do it justice in the next week or two :D

And makot.. I'm totally going to ignore your inane comments... I mean come on dude you don't even own a road bike and the hongfu special your planing on building... By the look of the build list your not even bothering to roll the turd in glitter :thumbup:

MaLóL

by MaLóL

Then totally ignore this too:
- 85kg on that saddle is hurting me already, get a saddle. one to be used, not for taking pictures of it. I recommend fizik antares or aliante, but it really depends on your geometry.
- Get a decent seatpost clamp, one at the same level of the rest of the bike. I recommend smudek, hand made in Poland; http://smud-carbon.eu/products.html

You're welcome again.
Happy trails !!!!!

Ozrider

by Ozrider

@Sugarkane - love your Z5
My Praxis rings just arrived, bike is in for a big service before TDU next week
I can't wait to see how much the shifting improves with the Praxis rings.
I'm waiting for the new SRAM Red to upgrade crankset, cassette and FD

MaLol is a troll, checked out his build list. I take advice and criticism from guys with some reputation on this site, and who have knowledge and experience greater than mine. It is a pity when someone with obviously limited knowledge goes about dictating what parts people should fit to their bikes without any knowledge or experience.

As I weigh a healthy 95 kg and 1.94m I also need RELIABLE, trouble free parts that are also light as possible without sacrificing reliability, happy with my Z5 at 6050g right now, but this year should see it drop to 5.6 or possibly lower, not bad for an XL frame.

Looking forward to your new pics.
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Haha thanks ozrider

Your going to love the praxis rings they are a million times better than SRAM rings

I gOta stop biting so easy... That kid is a MTBer for god sake :roll: . Prolly has long hair and still wears 'shy shorts' as for the hongfu/105 colab. I think it'll need to be kept on a leash to stop it chasing cars and the postman.