Soul CA 5.0 Wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rugger

by rugger

Hi,

I am seriously considering purchasing a set of Soul CA 5.0 wheels. Does anyone out there have a set that could provide some insight or reviews? I really like the specs, look, price point and initial contacts I have had with the Soul wheels team (Sean). I don't race, so this would be used primarily for training/group rides. There is quite a bit of good reviews on this site for Soul as a company, however I have not found much regarding the CA 5.0's specifically. So as I said any additional input to help me finalize my decision would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the wheel set in question: http://www.bikesoul.com/2009/index.php? ... &Itemid=66" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Broid

by Broid

You might try taking a peek at this thread at BF...

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.ph ... -your-pics

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rugger

by rugger

Broid,

thanks for the link....skimmed 31 pages of comments....not much regarding the CA 5.0's in particular. However it really re-confirms that Soul wheels have great customer service as well as great product performance and tremendous value for the money.

Nobody out there has a set of CA 5.o's who could chime in with some experiences/reviews?

Grasschopper

by Grasschopper

rugger wrote:Broid,

thanks for the link....skimmed 31 pages of comments....not much regarding the CA 5.0's in particular. However it really re-confirms that Soul wheels have great customer service as well as great product performance and tremendous value for the money.

Nobody out there has a set of CA 5.o's who could chime in with some experiences/reviews?

It's interesting..every time I have chatted (SMS on Skype) with Sean about the CA 5.0 he says they are one of his best sellers due to their cost and weight vs comparable wheels from the big guys. I like you have never seen anyone talk about actually owning them. I was going to get a set buy then I saw the Reynolds DV3K on Bonktown for $849 and I couldn't resist. :lol: Honestly I think I would have preferred the aluminum brake track of the CA5.0

Buffalo

by Buffalo

I just received a set of these, unfortunately I can't be riding them til spring so I can't share any info on how I like them. But I think they look nice in person. Here's some pics, probably the only pics on the internet other than Sean's pics on the soul site ( I searched all over for pics too!)

IMGP0433 by dissemination47, on Flickr

IMGP0434 by dissemination47, on Flickr

IMGP0436 by dissemination47, on Flickr

IMGP0435 by dissemination47, on Flickr

Broid

by Broid

In my ongoing wheel research, (Looking for new wheels for my Supersix Evo) I haven't come across very many, if any, bad reviews on Soul, November or Boyd wheels. Each seems to be very well thought of by the riders who own them. I'm no so interested in web site reviews, more interested in owner reviews. But for me, Boyd and November have risen to the top of my list, unless I can sell everything I own and get some Madfiber's!

Good riding,
Brian

rugger

by rugger

Buffalo! Those look sweet! What was your lead time from order to arrival? Any issues with customs?
How does the build quality look? Obviously you haven't ridden them yet..but first impressions?

Buffalo

by Buffalo

They spin very well, as do the S2.0s I ordered. I've had shit wheels in the past and these hubs are pretty wicked.

I placed my order a while back, Sean did let me know there would be a delay and that was fine and if you skimmed through that bikeforums thread you'd see he got sick and had some issues so that held it up a bit. But I was in no rush. And when he did get back on the email and say they were ready it took about 2 weeks, they were shipped on Dec 21st and got to Yukon Canada on January 3rd. No issue with customs, I was charged 23.95 gst from Canada Post when I picked them up. Everything was well packaged.

My camera is pretty crappy, but they look way better than my photos show.

niceonetom

by niceonetom

Same rims as these Planet-X wheels?

Grasschopper

by Grasschopper

niceonetom wrote:Same rims as these Planet-X wheels?

Looks like it at first glance but judging by their claimed weight vs the above actual weight I would say no. Plus I know that Sean has worked to have his own rim designs (and hub designs) which IMO is a big separator from the likes of Boyd, November and Williams which are sourcing Gigantex rims and Formula/Bitex/etc hubs and building wheels. I don't know it for sure but I believe the Soul CA5.0 is not the same rim as that Planet X wheel.

Buffalo

by Buffalo

The rim looks pretty similar, Soul lists theirs at 51 mm and planet x lists theirs at 52mm. Probably is the same rim, just lighter hub.

Buffalo

by Buffalo

Planet x must be following this thread, the price just dropped $110 as I was browsing the page

rugger

by rugger

If I understood Sean correct, he architects his own designs, owns his own moulds, etc.. so I think his wheels are custom and not the same as planet-x. Put in an order at the weekend for the CA5.0's ..let the waiting begin :-)

JensW

by JensW

Buffalo wrote:The rim looks pretty similar, Soul lists theirs at 51 mm and planet x lists theirs at 52mm. Probably is the same rim, just lighter hub.

but if you look at soul bikes hubs, they are not that light, so of planets has the same time, but heavier hubs, they have to be rally heavy hubs :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Grasschopper

by Grasschopper

JensW wrote:
Buffalo wrote:The rim looks pretty similar, Soul lists theirs at 51 mm and planet x lists theirs at 52mm. Probably is the same rim, just lighter hub.

but if you look at soul bikes hubs, they are not that light, so of planets has the same time, but heavier hubs, they have to be rally heavy hubs :D

And the hubs are specced at nearly the same weight...but they are obviously not the same hubs.