Cosmic Carbone SLR '09 or Dura Ace 7900 C50?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mr_Carlos

by Mr_Carlos

I'm looking for some all round carbon wheels for everyday riding plus the odd club time trial. I like my hills.

My budget is £1000 and I have narrowed it down to these two. The Carbones aren't the latest version with the special braking surface, they're the ones before. They're about 200g lighter than the C50's but are also £200 more.

Some input would be appreciated. I definitely want clincher though

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

C50 wheels for sure, definitely if you factor in the price difference. Both wheels have smooth hubs, only Shiman hubs tend to wear a lot slower than Mavic hubs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tomstr

by Tomstr

Shimano's for sure. I bought a set of C24's last spring and they ate my Mavic Ksyriums. The hubs run a lot better, but be sure to add some grease. Sometimes Shimano doesn't use a lot.
Ride it like you stole it

js

by js

While it seems like it's been resolved anyway, and my experiences agree with the above posts, one extra thing to consider might be the rim widths.

The Mavic Cosmic rims are likely the most narrow out there - averaging 18.85mm. Shimano's are 21mm. While this might not seem like a massive difference, anyone who's ridden a 23mm rim can tell you that the resulting increase in tire volume really, REALLY does matter. Where 23mm tires go +2mm from the norm, Mavic's Cosmic tires go the other way from that norm... which would seem for most to be the wrong way.

Unless you ride on silky smooth roads and 21mm tires, the Shimano's are almost definitely going to be more comfortable and aero (based on the detrimental effects of light-bulbing tires on the Mavics)

quango2k

by quango2k

c50's!! no contest.

shimano reliability vs Mavic hardened cheese hubs.

i bought some c50's from planet x this month, bargain at £800! they have loads in stock too.

Mr_Carlos

by Mr_Carlos

Thanks for the advice.

I currently have Easton Ascent II's which have a claimed weight of 1430g and have been trouble free. My strongest area is climbing but can struggle a bit to keep up with guys on the flatter faster stuff so I'm hoping aero will help. Do you think I'll be able to live with the C50's as an everyday wheel? I've looked at the C24/35 etc but they're closer to the wheels I already have so don't think they'd give me the difference I'm hoping for

sawyer

by sawyer

Mr_Carlos wrote:Thanks for the advice.

I currently have Easton Ascent II's which have a claimed weight of 1430g and have been trouble free. My strongest area is climbing but can struggle a bit to keep up with guys on the flatter faster stuff so I'm hoping aero will help. Do you think I'll be able to live with the C50's as an everyday wheel? I've looked at the C24/35 etc but they're closer to the wheels I already have so don't think they'd give me the difference I'm hoping for

Difference is pretty negligible in all honesty. It might be more in your head. C50s are a good choice. Alternative is to go tubular and get some weight savings to benefit your climbing too.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr_Carlos

by Mr_Carlos

I'm now thinking about Gigantex wheels from Wheelsmith :roll: