Wheel Recomm.Needed - Reynolds, Williams, Mavic, Profile?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

chefsize

by chefsize

Hello all,

Pleased to say I have my first ever Cervelo on the way (thanks to the special promotion going on - awesome!).

I have an R3 Team Ultegra coming in (would've preferred Sram Red, but that of course is only available on the R5 frame) & I've got clearance from the wife to use the $1k saved on a nice set of wheels. Looking to spend about another $500 or so on new saddle, pedals, shoes & cages, so $800-1200 is about my range.

So here's the deal - I'm a serious road rider who typically puts in 50-60 mile road rides & I also race - mostly road races in the SE PA/Philly area.

The wheels I've been considering (clinchers only):

2012 Williams System 58s - $1k ... love the aesthetics, deep rim & 3k weave.
2011 Reynolds DV3K - $850 ... awful decals, little shallower than I would prefer - but Reynolds name & nice price.
2010 Reynolds Assault - $1k ... much better looking, but w/ old braking surface & again shallower rim depth.
2011 Profile Design Altair 52 - $1.3k ... this is probably more than I want to spend, but nice looking wheels & perfect rim depth at 52mm

Not really in consideration because this is basically out of my price range, but looks like a lot of old-style Zipp 404s can be had for around $1400 off eBay.
I've also seen Hed Jet 6's for about this price on eBay, but they seem heavy for full carbon clinchers.
And then of course, Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL's can be had for $1k too w/ the alum braking surface.

I appreciate everyone's input.

Thanks,

chefsize

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dustbin

by dustbin

I'd go Williams or Boyd wheels.

chefsize

by chefsize

dustbin wrote:I'd go Williams or Boyd wheels.

Any reason in particular?

That's what I'm leaning towards. Seems like they may actually have better components than the reynolds, save for the rims, which I would think Reynolds trumps in that category.

After reviewing Boyds website, I'm inclined to say he had the better deal given that he uses Sapim CX Rays & the wheels are claimed about 100g lighter. Boyd also had a 2yr warranty & a crash replacement policy whereas it seems Williams has only 1yr warranty & no crash replacement policy that I can find anywhere on their site.

Though Williams does have the ceramic hybrid bearings & seemingly more name recognition (sponsors Team Exergy Pro Continental team & see a lot more Williams on the road I my area).

Any preference between the two?
Have you ridden either of these wheels?

I must say I kind of like Williams' decals a little more too.
Can the Boyd's decals be easily removed, if at all?

Thanks,
Chefsize

leardriver

by leardriver

I can only speak to the Williams but they have been great for me so far. I bought them last year with the intention of starting to race this year. I only have about 250 miles on them, mostly from a century ride, but I did seem to pedal less and brake more on group rides. Plenty stiff for me (180lbs), and hard to beat for the price. The most surprising thing to me was the braking. I heard all the stories about how bad carbon rims brake, but even in the damp they were much better than expected.

chefsize

by chefsize

leardriver wrote:I can only speak to the Williams

Given the info on the Boyd's being lighter w/ CX Ray spokes, would you still choose Boyd over Williams if you were in my position?

Did you know about Boyd when you made your purchase?

Do you know if Williams has any crash replacement re-purchase/repair plan?

Do you have 58's? If so, how's the performance when climbing? I think 38 is smaller then I would like to go, but Boyd has a 50mm option as well.

Thanks,
Chefsize

kac

by kac

Have you considered a custom wheelset made in consultation with the builder, himself? You might be able to meet or beat your specific requirements at a lower price by choosing that approach.

KAC

chefsize

by chefsize

kac wrote:Have you considered a custom wheelset made in consultation with the builder, himself? You might be able to meet or beat your specific requirements at a lower price by choosing that approach.

KAC

KAC - I appreciate the advice, but I don't know of any custom wheelset builders. Certainly, none of the local shops have custom builders. It seems like that's somewhat of a lost art given the prevalence of pre-fab'd options nowadays. Additionally, of the ones I've found online, it seems most dont even offer carbon rim options (bicycle wheel warehouse, etc).

Anyone know of a custom builder in the Philadelphia region?
Specifically someone who works w/ carbon?

logy

by logy

Avoid Reynolds. I have had 2 sets a DV46 and Assault and both have been a nightmare regarding spoke breakage. I am 75kgs and am a careful rider. Good luck.

drchull

by drchull

I have also had a number of troubles with Reynolds, though the DV3KTs.

If these are race day or special event wheels why not tubs.

Often Bonktown and the bay has Easton EC 90 wheels around your price range, bonktown also often have the American Classic 58s up under $1000.

Good luck and enjoy the Cervelo.

dustbin

by dustbin

I haven't ridden either Williams or Boyd, but have bought a couple other things from both and their customer service is both really excellent. I would go for Boyd just due to price (that and the warranty/crash replacement + I don't care about ceramic). I have a lot of friends (amateurs and pro's) who ride both wheelsets and they love them both. I've heard the Boyd wheels are built really well. If I had the money I'd buy a set or two of Boyds in a heart beat!

EDIT: I have used the same hubs that Boyd is using and they are great, light hubs.

109er

by 109er

Most wheels in this price range are going to be more or less the same. with some differences. Sure Reynolds do have a better rim. Their hubs arent bad and they use good spokes. I've never broken a spoke and I do race quite often. Im 145lbs and the roads where I race arent very great.

I cant say anything about the Williams or the Boyd wheels, however I have heard nothing but great things about them. Profile design wheels are pretty good as well, they are a newcomer to the wheel game so maybe I would hold off for a year or so until they work out some unforeseen kinks or design flaws.

Someone suggested custom wheel building. Now theres an idea.

Since you have mentioned every component in the wheel, (Reynolds rim, Williams hub, Boyd spokes), I think perhaps a custom wheelset is just what you should do. It is actually not too expensive as one might think.

There are carbon rims on eBay, I know I know...but they are the same rim that most companies use. Some can be had for 400 bucks for a set.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clincher-50mm-700C-Carbon-wheels-Road-TT-bike-Carbon-Rims-Matt-3k-finished-/150685316165?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item23158b7445#ht_4048wt_1157

As for hubs, Token have been a surprise to me. I have them built up into a set of Enve rims. The hubs have been excellent, Ive raced in nasty weather and they still roll smoothly.
http://www.tufonorthamerica.biz/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_174&products_id=559

Spokes? Sapim Laser is the same thing as the CX Ray only non-bladed. DT Revolutions are also a great alternative to bladed spokes. Which honestly bladed vs a triple butted spoke? They arent too different.
green jacket, gold jacket...who gives a sh*t

focuscarbon
in the industry

by focuscarbon

Prefer Reynolds wheels....
enjoy cycling, enjoy life......
www.focus-carbon.com

leardriver

by leardriver

chefsize wrote:
leardriver wrote:I can only speak to the Williams

Given the info on the Boyd's being lighter w/ CX Ray spokes, would you still choose Boyd over Williams if you were in my position?

Did you know about Boyd when you made your purchase?

Do you know if Williams has any crash replacement re-purchase/repair plan?

Do you have 58's? If so, how's the performance when climbing? I think 38 is smaller then I would like to go, but Boyd has a 50mm option as well.

Thanks,
Chefsize

Yes I knew about Boyd, but I heard more positives about Williams' customer service. Originally I was between the Williams and Cosmic Cabones for an everyday wheel. When I asked Mr. Wiliams about using his carbon wheels on long descents he was honest and told me I would do better with other products. The fact he was that honest impressed me. When I decided just to get a set of deep sections for racing, it played a big part in my decision. I don't think he has a crash replacement policy though.

I haven't used the 58's much, but they weight less than the stock wheels on my R3 so going up feels good. I haven't done any long descents with them as the heat build up issue worries me.

dustbin

by dustbin

Oh, check out Planet X wheels right now... lots of deals to be had on wheelsets and rims!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jere

by Jere

I have 3 sets of boyds
20 mm tub
50 mm tub
38 mm clinchers
They have thousands of miles on them and have yet to trued.
I also forgot two guys fell on me and my rear 50mm tub and broke my seat stay in half the only thing that.
Happened was my sticker on the rear wheel was cut from one of the guys handle bars