Saddle Question regarding prostatitis

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

TiDude

by TiDude

I’m a guy that came down with prostatitis about a year ago and had to be off the bike the entire time to heal. Now I really want to ride again but can't sit on saddles with noses as well as unconventional “anatomic” saddles like Selle SMP, Adamo, etc. since major irriation comes back. I’ve been forced to use a noseless saddle on my Colnago and it works OK but with a much more upright body position.

I would like to know if anyone can recommend a wider and harder saddle that has a flatter profile and a relief groove. Maybe something made of carbon that is 160mm in width. This should support my sit bones better than the thinner saddles.

Ps. Yes, I have had several professional bike fits and still have the issue.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

While not 160 mm wide, have you seen the San Marco Mantra saddle?
That thing has a veritible (someone coined it here a while back) "scrotal valley."
Note: the Carbon FX version of the Mantra is slightly narrower, so the standard version is what you should review (144mm).

Another consideration is a custom saddle...

Out of curiosity, and not being a doctor, have you considered bibs/chamois choice in addressing this ailment?

TiDude

by TiDude

My issue revolves around the ability for a saddle to support my sitbones and since I have wider sit bones, I need a wider saddle for more support.

andrello

by andrello

This might work for you: http://www.ismseat.com/saddles/adamo-breakaway
Here's the weightweenie version: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=90527

I use the Adamo Podium (same as Breakaway but with less padding) on my road bike and have no problem racing it successfully (in agressive sprints that require good handling - it's not just for TT'ing). I've tried most other cut-out saddles including the Mantra, and the cut-outs just aren't wide enough for me. For me, the Mantra pinches in the front, and the SMP saddles are too curved (banana-shaped) with sharp edges that are pressure points. The Adamo is the only one I can tolerate.

Bottom line: The only way completely eliminate perineal and prostate pressure is to completely remove that part of the saddle. Pressure needs to be distributed to the bones (ischial tuberosity) which may require a short period of adaptation - especially if you've been sitting on your soft tissue for years.

newfy

by newfy

Take a look at the Specialized toupe 155mm. Its a flat saddle. Speccialized may have a 165 on the way but I would give the toupe a go. good luck let us know what you find and works.

TiDude

by TiDude

Thanks for all the great suggestions but I have already tried the ISM Adamo, Selle SMP Plus, Specialized Toupe and they were all too narrow and did not support my sit bones. I guess I'm just going to have to see if they ever come up with a wider platform in one of those road-type saddles.

andrello

by andrello

What about this?: http://www.ismseat.com/saddles/ism-sport
Here are some saddles that are more than 150mm wide: http://www.wekeepyoucycling.com/en/c-34-width-150.aspx

If you're really desperate you can just pick a saddle with edges that you like, saw it down the middle, widen it by pushing it apart on the rails with a brace then reupholster.

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

I had some prostatitis issues in the past and have found the Mantra to work well.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

Rokkala

by Rokkala

Selle Italia slr superflow and the new for 2012 max slr gel flow are worth a look.

voodoojar

by voodoojar

Tip the nose of your saddle down slightly like how women ride and try it. More pressure on you hands less on your stuff.

ty-ro

by ty-ro

While not totally flat, the Specialized Romin Evo is a nice saddle for sitting directly on the sit bones. They make a 155 mm wide model too.

I've not tried them, but the Dash saddles might fit your criteria. Not cheap but they have a demo. http://www.dashcycles.com/products/

I've been fighting with a similar issue combined with some back issues. It's been tough trying to transition saddles from the saddle I've used for the past 2 years.

Good luck!

eippo1

by eippo1

ty-ro wrote:While not totally flat, the Specialized Romin Evo is a nice saddle for sitting directly on the sit bones.
Good luck!

Man does it ever make you sit on those bones too. Zero pressure on my taint at all, but it absolutely killed my sit bones, maybe a good choice for the op.

erickB

by erickB

have you tried brooks saddle? maybe a b17 imperial

ty-ro

by ty-ro

Regarding the Romin Evo... I had some more time on it and have decided that my "undercarriage" prefers a more flat saddle. When I tilt my pelvis forward, it puts even more pressure on my perineum due to the curvature of the saddle. I'm back to the Arione, but have an SSM Regale on the way.

eippo1

by eippo1

ty-ro wrote:Regarding the Romin Evo... I had some more time on it and have decided that my "undercarriage" prefers a more flat saddle. When I tilt my pelvis forward, it puts even more pressure on my perineum due to the curvature of the saddle. I'm back to the Arione, but have an SSM Regale on the way.

Did you try an Arione Versus with the cutout to get rid of perineum pressure?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com