New Project Build - Argon 18 Gallium Pro 2012 - Finished

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

vladt

by vladt

Sorry mate but I am a little confused. I thought you are steering away from Zipp back to your fav 3T ergosum.
If not, you want to change your Zipp 145 and SL Contour bars to ?

Regardless, the Argon really impresses with the stiffness and handling. Admittedly it's not the best on rough roads, but than you have Pinarello for those duties.

I've noticed you are local (I live relatively close to Mornington). I know a few boys from bikebug team who ride Argon 18 (gal pro). They have just swapped over to 2012 framesets and couldn't be happier!

The reason for my questions is I've just bought the infamous CAAD9 (one of the last left overs here in Oz, had to go to Geelong to pick it up). About the start my own WW build so looking at what works and what doesn't.

Any suggestions you might have in relation to CAAD9 would be much appreciated! (especially crankset, grouppo and cockpit).

Cheers
Vladt

KH1

by KH1

Yes I was originally going with the 3T setup but had some difficulty getting what I needed. So then I went with Zipp.
Now I have it I am happy with the quality and the shape of the bars so I'm sticking with them only going up one size to 44 (Like 42 on just about anything else) I am also replacing the stem with an SL Speed jobbie because I can't mount anything but my Edge 500 on the SL145 stem. My 800 is just sitting around idle at the moment.
And just because I'm a sucker for matching bits I'm going with a SL Speed seat post as well.

Happy to help out with the CAAD9 - PM sent.
Don't let the truth get in the way of good story...
2023 Propel Advanced SL (Growing in the Petrie dish)
2022 Trance Advanced Pro 1
2021 Revolt Advanced 1
2020 TCR Advanced SL 0 (Dead)
2019 Fathom 1 29er
2017 TCR Advanced Pro 0

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

J8MCG

by J8MCG

How do you find this for bike for climbing ? Thinking of getting this or a Ridley Noah isp. Though I've been told the Noah would be too stiff for the bad roads we race on here

quango2k

by quango2k

any updates on this one?

this thread made me buy one...got one in medium coming on friday next week :) can't wait to get started on the build.

KH1

by KH1

Sorry it's been a while since I logged in.

quango2k - I will post up some new pics in the next week or so.
I have ordered a SL Speed Stem and Seatpost that will save about 100g in total and allow me to mount my 800 again.
Also I recently bought a set of Soul S2.0's. They saved an extra 200g so the bike is down to 6.9Kg. It's still a pig weight wise but hey you can't have everything....... well okay you probably can but I made my bed blah blah blah.
Make sure you post some pics of your ride when it's done too.

J8MCG - If you are still interested the bike climbs really well for what it is. It's no anorexic super model but it's so stiff you lose very little power through the drive train. But hey I get passed by guys on bikes that weigh a kilo more than my bike anyway so really it comes down to you...... How do you climb? I'm pretty average :lol:
2021 Revolt Advanced 1
2019 Fathom 1 29er
2017 TCR Advanced Pro 0

quango2k

by quango2k

mine came today :)

built up already but need to change the bars, stem, post and saddle...red just doesn't match this frame set :)

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=99209

im also thinking of going the Zipp route..SL post, stem and vukasprint bars maybe :) I've also ordered some 404 firecrest black edition tubs but will take me ages to mount the tubs on them...never done it before so gonna see how it goes lol

quango2k

by quango2k

any new piccies as yet?

im shedding the 3t parts too due to supply issues and stores not having a conclusive date for delivery..i really wanted the stealth black bits but oh well. I got the stealth stem but am going to sell that on too as I like everything to match..so I have ordered the SL zipp stem and some vukasprint short and shallow bars that will be with me tomorrow.

i'll change the post when some more Sl speed posts become available in the UK.

I went for a 70 mile ride yesterday and one thing is for certain..this framset is as hard as nails! very unforgiving on rough roads..but man it is stiff (ooh er misses) no power loss as you say!

KH1

by KH1

So hard I had to buy a new bike.......
This is now officially my race bike. It is just too hard over long distances or I am too soft :oops: Probably the latter :lol:

No new pics yet as I still haven't had my order - which is growing by the day - shipped. This week, for sure, it will be sent.
2021 Revolt Advanced 1
2019 Fathom 1 29er
2017 TCR Advanced Pro 0

quango2k

by quango2k

with you on that one. the ride is as hard as nails.

I put 60 miles in yesterday and I HURT....alot!

on the smooth roads its awesome and fast, but as soon as the road surface is a tiny bit bumpy...you get absolutely battered to pieces..just feel like im vibrating down the road and small pieces of bone are coming off as I do.

so I think I am doing the same...this is the race bike, gonna get something else for the endurance rides and sunday meets.

stumpy

by stumpy

Can I suggest a Gallium 2009 (before they stiffened it up) or current Krypton?

My 2009 gallium is a great all rounder - stiff enough and light enough for me and I have ridden it over full Flanders and Roubaix with 32 spoke open pros and Pave tyres at 90ish psi and was no more beat than up than I had any right to expect doing such things.

Come to think of it - I notice a bit of difference (i.e. harder ride but not bad) with the Zonda wheels in for fast / race days and the open pros - might be worth just trying that. I think people forget just how much difference wheels and a few less psi make.

KH1

by KH1

stumpy wrote:Can I suggest a Gallium 2009 (before they stiffened it up) or current Krypton?

My 2009 gallium is a great all rounder - stiff enough and light enough for me and I have ridden it over full Flanders and Roubaix with 32 spoke open pros and Pave tyres at 90ish psi and was no more beat than up than I had any right to expect doing such things.

Come to think of it - I notice a bit of difference (i.e. harder ride but not bad) with the Zonda wheels in for fast / race days and the open pros - might be worth just trying that. I think people forget just how much difference wheels and a few less psi make.

Yes you are absolutely spot on with the wheels comment.
I ran a set of Soul s2.0 wheels in the Alpine Classic and it was a much better ride. It's still rediculously stiff though in comparison to just about anything! Even my CAAD9 feels like a tourer after a few hours on the Argon.
2021 Revolt Advanced 1
2019 Fathom 1 29er
2017 TCR Advanced Pro 0

quango2k

by quango2k

I'm trying the c24's tomorrow...see how much of a difference there is :)

sancho3000

by sancho3000

I see you're using both 10mm and 20mm 3D headtube spacers. I'm having my 2011 Gallium Pro built and planned to use both spacers too, but my mechanic called and said the 3D Headtube manual specifys three options: 0mm, 10mm OR 20mm. It specifically says not to use both 10 and 20mm spacers together. You might want to check that, but I'm pretty sure the headtube bits are same for 2011 and 2012 frames.

Other than that, sweet ride! :)

anquetil

by anquetil

From Dogma to Argon, you dont deserve Dogma, yet.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rashadabd

by Rashadabd

Well, you gents have worried me enough about discomfort that I am seriously considering going with a 2012 Cervelo R3 instead of the the 2012 Argon 18 Gallium. I know the Gallium is a little less stiff than the GPro, but I am still worried enough that I am no longer comfortable with the 150 extra grams the Gallium carries over the R3, especially a LBS is carrying both frames at pretty much the exact same price. Party poopers!!! Just kidding, I really appreciate your candor gentlemen.