Terraferma Randonneur Fork

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Henry G

by Henry G

This will be the front end of a high performance brevet bike with Platinum OX standard tube set, Campy SR drivetrain, Carbon Fiber 56mm fenders and 650b wheels for 38-42b tires.

More pics here: http://ruedatropical.wordpress.com/2009 ... rigi-fork/

Henry

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Cannot wait to see the final product!
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Henry G

by Henry G

Attachments
tri1013548.jpg
top1013549.jpg
under-top1013556.jpg
Henry

Henry G

by Henry G

Henry

Henry G

by Henry G

The bike was reviewed in the latest issue of Bicycle Quarterly and got rave reviews for it's performance.

More pics here: http://ruedatropical.wordpress.com/2010 ... andonneur/
TR-center500.jpg
Henry

DYG

by DYG

That bike was awesome.
Do you know who made the carbon fiber fenders?
The only other bike with 650B carbon fiber fenders that I have seen photos of is Bruce Gordon's Ti-carbon show bike:
http://brucegordoncycles.blogspot.com/2010/04/bruce-gordon-goes-carbon-fiber.html

xrs2

by xrs2

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/berthoud.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You might ask Mike Kone at Rene Herse bicycles if he'll order some for you.

oysters

by oysters

Who made the carbon fibre handlebar bag? Any ideas how much it weighs? Is it mounted on a fairly standard rack? Cost?

djconnel

by djconnel

Jan Heine, a clear traditionalist, didn't much like the carbon case for the handlebars, if I recall correctly because it wasn't particularly light (compared to a Berthoud bag w/o stiffener) and because there's advantages to the compliance and softness of cloth.

I find the Berthoud bags retro-looking and heavy-looking. But I'm unable to find lighter, superior alternatives.

BTW, I am looking into getting a Winters frame for a summer tour, similar to this one. How is the terraferma working for you?

oysters

by oysters

I can see how the carbon fibre case could be quite heavy and overbuilt in some cases.

I've been looking everywhere for a front bag that isn't rediculously heavy. I've read that Jan thinks they are light, but those bags definitely are not. He has pretty archaic views when it comes to handlebar bag material. Those fabrics, sure they are durable, but they start off heavy, and in order to become waterproof they have to soak in a bit of water to swell their fibres. Yup, this only makes them heavier! I've no idea the proportion of water absorption, but I have no doubt its a significant percentage of the original fabric weight. I'd like to see someone with one do a test to see how much their bag accumulates.

I've ordered some fabrics to make my own. As I haven't done it before, I didn't go crazy, but I'm sure the finished bag will save at least one or two hundred grams over the Gilles Berthoud and other similar bags, and I have no doubt it would last for years of use. However it probably won't get that, as I'll make another version after a while as I refine my designs and get it just right for my rack and bike. To start with, the top piece/flap is some generic 3 layer waterproof breathable fabric(about 4.7oz/sq yd), the wear areas that are against the rack will be heavy coated oxford (about 5oz per sq yd), and most of the rest will be 2.3oz silnylon. I will probably use some addition oxford on the front panels so that it is slightly stiffer and doesnt flap in the wind when the bag is empty. There won't be any rediculous leather edgeings on the bag (leather, really?), I'll use some nylon webbing to do an edge around the top flap. Much lighter, and I've never, ever, seen such edgings ever wear out. One would have to ride ze bike like 100,000km for 10 years at least to do START doing that.

Silnylon doesn't last forever...its coating wears off slowly (would be fine for 20 or 30,000km), but its very easy to apply new coating (I've done it plenty of times before). Also, all these fabrics are very easy to seam seal. It will be totally waterproof, without having to soak water into the fabric; it will mostly just bead off.

If I was going totally weight weenie, I would build it out of cuben fibre. Probably some .5oz stuff, with glued and taped seams, and some heavier stuff to reinforce against the rack, and maybe a piece of the 1.42oz material for the flap for breathability. The whole thing would probably weigh under 120grams. Materials more expensive though (but, cheaper than buying a Gilles Berthoud for sure), and it would be great for once of events like paris brest paris. It would probably only last 20,000km before the fabric starts to wear out...then you need to start patching it.

djconnel

by djconnel

Cool! I'm definitely interested in the result. There was a discussion of this on the Google randon list I dug up and someone did what you propose: a nylon home-made bag. I agree the Berthoud bags look heavy and retro. You additionally don't need all the side-pockets.

oysters

by oysters

I'll post the results (might make a new thread for it). I got the materials delivered the other day. But still waiting on the rack and the fork. The fork is coming from Michael Terraferma. It will have a big curvy rake like the fork at the top of this thread. I'll hopefully get it in a few weeks, then I can make the bag to size.

I agree on no side pockets unless they are flat (but then they aren't of that much use really). I don't think they are very aero, same with the traditional front pockets which have big flaps. They seem like a good place for air to catch. I'll definitely have rear pockets though, especially for snacks etc. I think I can safely make them bigger than most trad bags. Inside I'll have some light pockets (have some very light nylon for those) to store things like wallet, phone, keys, etc. So it will be fairly organised.

The front panel I'm planning at the moment for it to be a bit (not extremely) pointy, just to help the air flow past it better, rather than a flat front. This is of course more complex to construct but its not impossible. On the top flap, I'm setting it up so that I can attach an A5 size ortlieb map case if I want it for a ride/event. I prefer the idea of using a proper map case rather than a sewn on piece of vinyl that isn't properly sealed. This will improve the breath ability of the inside of the bag.

I found a thread on someone who home made a rando front bag from Nylon too, was black. But that nylon was quite a bit heavier than the stuff I'm using. I've also seen threads on bags made entirely from coroplast; those bags have come out around half the weight of a traditional bag. Not surprising really. I really like that idea from a design point of view for riding. Being rigid I think the aerodynamics would be better (less flapping around or deforming of material, especially as the bag changes size over the course of a long event and you eat food, etc). However it is a bit of a permanently stuck solution-not that practical to remove easily and carry around with you, which is a bit of a deal breaker for me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com