Converting DT Swiss Disc Hubs to Campagnolo

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

I've asked Madison who are the UK distributor for DT Swiss. They tell me that it is not possible at all, and looking at the part numbers the Shimano rotors differ between MTB & road.

But I wonder if anyone has actually tried it and can comment on whether it actually works in practice? I have lost count of the number of times official channels tell you something "will not work" when in actual fact it works perfectly well and they simply don't want to acknowledge it.

reason I ask is I'm being asked for Campagnolo compatible hubs for disc equipped cross bike builds.

TIA

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

i'm pretty sure it would work.
shimano's mountain and road freehubs use different part numbers because the road one includes the right endcap. it's intended as a conversion for a campy-equipped hub. i have seen mountain freehubs using larger bearings than the road ones, but that could be a generational thing.
i say go for it. get the right endcap too. and of course let me know if it turns out im wrong.
hell, if i remember, i might try it at work tomorrow.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

thisisatest wrote:i'm pretty sure it would work.
shimano's mountain and road freehubs use different part numbers because the road one includes the right endcap. it's intended as a conversion for a campy-equipped hub. i have seen mountain freehubs using larger bearings than the road ones, but that could be a generational thing.
i say go for it. get the right endcap too. and of course let me know if it turns out im wrong.
hell, if i remember, i might try it at work tomorrow.
Not for me, I think the disc thing is daft!

If you do get a chance let me know.

Thanks

Geoff

by Geoff

No problem. I have been running Campagnolo disk brake MTB for years. I run DT hubs with Campagnolo freehub bodies.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Geoff wrote:No problem. I have been running Campagnolo disk brake MTB for years. I run DT hubs with Campagnolo freehub bodies.

I thought as much. Madison usually parrot the narrow party line. Should have known as soon as they said that Campagnolo was useless for cross!

keeper

by keeper

I'm not totally clear on what you're doing but campag conversion on DT Swiss rear hub in part# FW1912. I hope this helps.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com