2011 Cervelo S2 aero and 13lbs(5900g) dead new pics page:20

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

I like my aero, but I like it light as well. I started out with a 2008 Soloist Carbon. It developed a crack in the top tube, and was warrantied for a 2011 S2 replacement. It was down to 13.3lbs or 6033g at one point, but after some changes in my fit going to a longer stem, and shorter shallower drop bars, it gained some weight up to 13.5lbs or 6124g. I am now trying to get it down under 6000g is the goal, or ultimately sub 13lbs, or 5896g would be nice too.

Last pic of the old bike before it perished.
Most recent pic of new build. Right about 13.5lbs as pictured.

Frame : Cervelo S2 54cm
Fork : 3T Funda Pro
Headset : FSA Orbit
Top Cap : Parts of Passion carbon with alloy bolt
Stem: Alpha Q 130mm 7deg
Handlebars : FSA K-Wing Compact 44cm
Bartape : Fizik Microtex Gloss Black
Seatpost : Cervelo S Series Tuned
Seatpost Collar : Cervelo S2 bolt changed to Ti
Saddle : Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow
Wheels : Zipp 404 tubular (2010 with newer 2012 Beyond Black Stickers)
Tires : Zipp Tangente 21mm
Skewers : KCNC
Crankset : Lightning 170mm (logo removed)
Bottom Bracket : Zipp Vuma Quad cups with standard Sram BB30 bearings
Chainrings : 50t Stronglight CT2, and 34t Extralite
Chain Catcher : Far and Near
Pedals : Speedplay Zero Pedals, tuned with Ward Ti Spindles (159g/pr)
Chain : KMC X10-SL
Cassette : Sram Red 11-23
Front Derailleur : Sram Red
Rear Derailleur : Sram Red (minor tuning 140g)
Shifters : Sram Red
Brakes : KCNC w/ Swiss Stop Yellow Pads
Cables : Jagwire
Bottle Cages : New Ultimate

I just bought a set of Zipp Vuka Sprint handlebars for the build to replace the heavy FSA bars. The FSA bars were supposed to weigh 210g, they weighed in at 271g, then I cut 8g off of the ends of them. The new Zipp bars are supposed to be 210g as well. I am hoping I get lucky, and they are somewhat close to that. I am also hoping for an increase in stiffness, for the FSA bars flexed a lot more than my older Syntace Racelite Carbon bars, that I had on there. Next on the list is a new stem. I am on the fence between Extralite, and New Ultimate. Either one should net a good bit of weight savings. I've been kicking around the idea of a custom 1 piece saddle, post, and Fibre-Lyte rings as well. I also may further tune the Red RD, and lighter tires are going on over the winter too. I am thinking Vittoria Corsa Evo of some variation. Thoughts, ideas, and advice welcome.
Last edited by ProfessorChaos on Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:55 pm, edited 9 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TerribleCadence

by TerribleCadence

Seeing as your running exactly the same kit, I guess your able to give a good review of the newer frame. How do they compare?

Both builds look very nice btw :thumbup:
FELT AR0 Now sold.
CAAD10 Force 22, Quarq, Ksyrium SLR
LOOK 695 Light, Force22, Zipp 303.

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

TerribleCadence wrote:Seeing as your running exactly the same kit, I guess your able to give a good review of the newer frame. How do they compare?

Both builds look very nice btw :thumbup:

It is basically exactly the same. I prefer the paint of the old one, but the new paint isn't bad. I do prefer the newer cable routing. The new one also may of felt just a bit stiffer, which may of been all in my head, but it would explain the extra 30g of weight.

Thanks for the compliment. I love both of these bikes. They have been my weapons of choice for a few years now.

luckypuncheur

by luckypuncheur

The SLC-SL is a modern classic, the black S2 will be a modern classic in 2-3 years.
Nevertheless, I wouldn't shed too many tears for the old one anymore.

BTW: Impressive weight and nicely build.
Get a bicycle. You will certainly not regret it, if you live.

irf3

by irf3

Holy drop batman! :unbelievable:

That's a crazy agressive position, you must be a funny lookin' dude. That aside, awesome bike and awesome weight. Well done.

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

luckypuncheur wrote:The SLC-SL is a modern classic, the black S2 will be a modern classic in 2-3 years.
Nevertheless, I wouldn't shed too many tears for the old one anymore.

BTW: Impressive weight and nicely build.

Yeah, I always wanted an SLC-SL, but I liked the SLC a lot too. I did win the Ohio State Road Race for Cat 5 before noticing the crack, and upgrading to cat 4. It has a special place in my life, but in the end it is just a bike, and times change, and we move on.

irf3 wrote:Holy drop batman! :unbelievable:

That's a crazy agressive position, you must be a funny lookin' dude. That aside, awesome bike and awesome weight. Well done.

It's not that crazy. It's like 5.5" of drop. I actually lowered the saddle 1cm, and pushed it back 2cm since these pics. Been trying out that position a bit. I am 5'10" with a short torso, and long arms, and legs.

Here was a recent pic of my fit before the saddle adjustments. It is actually quite comfortable if you can believe it.

rjk8

by rjk8

Nice bike, you can shave about 30g off your saddle by taking off the cover and padding. Mine feels the same, There is a thread on here somewhere about the proper way to do it.
R.J.
Some people tune their car, I prefer to tune my bike.
http://ilcappellino.blogspot.com/

robertbb

by robertbb

The old paint job is, hands down, a winner. I especially love it with the black wheels, post/saddle and stem/bar/tape.

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

Thanks for the comments. Could you post a link to the saddle tuning? Sounds interesting.....

Here is a pic with my Spinergy Carbon Clinchers. I love these wheels, ride like butter.

Here is another of me getting crafty with the angles.

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Love it. :thumbup:
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

wojchiech

by wojchiech

replacing steel bolts with titanium/aluminum/ or nylon even can shed some mass (not sure if enough to get sub 6kg though). parts like the brake cable bolt to Ti, the recessed brake nut to Al (normal ones are steel and heavy), not sure if they make them for SRAM but shifter clamp bolts to Ti. If you want to go super weenie derailleur stop bolts to Al or even nylon.

Also switching from Jagwire to powercordz/ilinks/nokons can probably shed a bit

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

That drop is making my neck ache! :shock:

Good for you if you can handle it though.

Tallboy

by Tallboy

The downside to stripping the saddle if you have an extreme position like you have and I do is it's more skippy o you may find you're pushing yourself back on the seat a lot. If you can get an old slr off eBay to try it on before you wreck your best seat! This is mine viewtopic.php?f=10&t=90731&hilit=Slr+tuning but stick slr tuning into search and there's detailed guidance too
"I want to absorb all of your pop culture"

SSB

by SSB

There's something inherently more sexy about aero weenies. It flies against the conception that they're mutually exclusive.

Love it. :thumbup:
Flickr
2012 Cannondale CAAD10

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Now, where have I seen this bike before............... :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com