Cannondale SRM differences?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

clingenpeel-
congrats on having no issues with mounting your setup.
on the SL4, i had a compact srm on a specialized crank. the compact srm may have a slightly smaller ID for the relief around the bb shell.

ms6073,
the reason you could not use the sram pf30 bb with your setup is you only tried mounting it with the srm bearing shield. you would most likely have been able to use it if you either:
removed the supplemental seal over the left bearing, or
used the sram-provided bearing shields on both sides.
the sram bearing shields have a larger relief under it to clear their seals.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

thisisatest wrote:ms6073,
the reason you could not use the sram pf30 bb with your setup is you only tried mounting it with the srm bearing shield.
Possibly, but I spent a number of hours trying all possible combinations of shields/seals/spacers/spindles with marginal results yet swapping out the SRAM PF30 for the FSA PF30 worked with the SRM bearing shield, SRM spindle, and 3 spacers.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

ms6073

by ms6073

cswi9367 wrote:this will solve any issues; (install these, SRM bearing shield, SRM spindle, and tons of clearance)
http://www.cannondaleexperts.com/Cannon ... p_480.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Having ordered the Cannondale KP197/SRM PF30 bottom bracket kit, I will find out how well it works this weekend now that I have a can of the Loctite primer to go with the Loctitte 609. Interesting to note that Cannondale's bonding instructions supplied with the bottom bracket kit outline installation for a SRAM PF30 bottom bracket and not the Cannondale specific parts. This has me wondering after I bond/press in the alloy press-fit shell cups, do I then repeat the process of applying Loctite Primer & 609 Retaining Fluid to the inner races of the alloy shell and the outer part of the bearings before pressing them in? I am guessing the answer would be yes in order to avoid creaking like with the BB30 bottom brackets.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

cswi9367

by cswi9367

the use of 609 is suggested, yes. personally, i dont use anything. i press the cups in without loctite. if you want to loctite the bearings into the PF30 cups, go for it.

personally, i still wish it was BB30, but PF30 is easier to manufacture for everyone else due to more open tolerances.

skinnyrider

by skinnyrider

I'm trying to find out more about the older wired SRMs.
Is it possible to fit the older, non bevel srm to a pf30 Evo frame? With the 'tricks' above, or are the tricks to get the never beveld wired/wireless srms to fit?

Thanks

Ufgators

by Ufgators

When you use the srm specific pf 30 cups, what effect does that have of the chain line? Does the crank shift either direction?

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

No effect on chainline. The lip on the cups is much thinner, beveled. The bearings themselves end up in the same place.

ms6073

by ms6073

skinnyrider wrote:Is it possible to fit the older, non bevel SRM to a pf30 Evo frame?
Out of the box with no modifications, no. I think you will find that it is possible if you order the new SISL2 spindle (KP248). Alternately, you could locate a local machinist to modify your existing spindle to remove the shoulder as discussed here.
- Michael

itsacarr

by itsacarr

My cannondale SRM worked just fine with the cannondale srm spindle and NDS bearing shield you need to have anyway. A bit of work with spacers but it worked fine on my EVO.
Just ride ..