Lightest clinchers for heavy riders

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Tom92673

by Tom92673

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and I've been looking for wheels for my bike. Every bike shop I head into wants to sell me their wheels not what will be best for me. I'm riding a 2010 S-works SL3 tarmac with Di2. I'm currently running 404 clinchers (non firebrand) and I'm looking for something more suited to climbing. I've been pushed toward dura ace and zipp 101's. I'm in the US, so I don't know if that affects recommendations.

Thanks in advance,
Tom

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BeeSeeBee

by BeeSeeBee

jmartpr
Shop Owner

by jmartpr

Low profile (20-25 mm) clincher wheels for 96 Kg can be pushing the limits a bit...Most alloy rims would need +28 spokes and still if you are a strongh rider could feel a bit of flex. Carbon are only good in tubular like the ENVE 25. How about some Reynolds 32's? But given that you already have 404 not sure if this is what you are looking for. Any target weight? Tune does have the TSR27 which are 1380 grams and aroun 22 mm with 28H. You could also talk to acouple of the wheel builder around here for a custom set.

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

Why don't you lace up some of the Stans Alpha 340 hoops to some Alchemy hubs? This would be a considerable amount lighter than the 101s and it would also give you the option to run tubeless. Going with a 28/32 hole count should provide enough rigidity for your weight as well.

c50jim

by c50jim

Have you had any problems with either your current or previous wheels? My son is about your size, rides responsibly, but has so much power, he's twisted a couple of rear wheels permanently out of true just by working too hard. He's ridden 32 spoke Record with Aeroheads for several years with minimal truing. For his new bike, I had a 36 hole Record rear that I got on a deal from my LBS and he's running it with Aeroheads. If you tend to break things, you'll need to be really careful with light wheels. You could probably switch to the Zipp 303, particularly if there's a Clydesdale version.

I'm about 83-85 kg, old as the hills, and have no problem with Aeroheads with White Industries hubs and 24/28 spokes. If I were a little heavier like you, I'd probably move up to 28/32. Double butted Wheelsmith spokes work fine and keep the weight down.

For us heavier guys, weight weenies is a bit of a problem since most of the light things, whether frames or wheels or other parts, really aren't made to stand up to our use. I've used Excellights with no problem but found any lighter rims than those or Aeroheads are just too fragile. Ran American Classic's light rims a few years ago and they only lasted a couple of years of occasional use. The hubs are still going strong after 8 years with Aeroheads though.

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

I'm 100kg - my picks on experience for actual rideable hill wheels for your size are:

LW Standard C's - 1100g
Fulcrum Zeros - 1425g
Enve 45's - 24/28 with DT240's - 1400g
Kinlin 27F/30R rims with decent spoke count and hubs
Pick your budget.

Currently using Mavic Ksyrium SLRs - run OK and look fantastic but the Fulcrum Zeros are lighter, have better hubs and are stiffer and cheaper.
With highest due respect for Zen's experience don't bother with the light Stan's rims or boutique hubs (although Alchemy hubs are great!) or low-spoked carbon rims under 45mm deep
Personally I have gravitated to the low profile alloy clinchers with decent stiff rims and away from the deep carbon wheels - better braking, no overheating, no cross-wind issues and - very subjectively - more agile steering when descending.

Have fun
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

weaverdcivw

by weaverdcivw

I'm 200lbs, run a 28h xr-200 front rim to bikehubstore wide hub, radial lasers. Rear 28h xr-270 to bhs hub 2x lasers. Comes in a little under 1400, I believe it was 1380 grams somewhere thereabouts. Rear is pretty stiff, I'm happy with it. Front is stiff as nails and feathery light, love it. I play around with different rear wheels but the front always stays. Anyways, I'm in to the set for less than $300 and supports my weight just fine.

liketoride

by liketoride

i have been reading and searching for past post but i could not find anything that really answered my question. I am 6'2" and tip the scales at 230 pounds and am looking for the lightest possible wheelset that can hold me. I ride many mountains and come down at over 47mph so i need something that is going to hold up. i would like to have rims in the 40'smm as i do ride a lot on level ground and would like to have the aero effect. i have been looking at two wheelsets the extralite 44 that come in at 910 grams and i called and the guy at extralite told me that they would hold me. i have been also looking at the ax lightness 42 and the rims say they can hold 110kg but then every wheelset that i see says it is only good for weights up to 90kg and the hubs seem to be okay for my weight so i am not sure. I am not a racer but like to ride as hard as i can. my current wheelset comes in at 1210gms and this will be my first nice wheelset. I have not been riding for that long so i do not know all the technical stuff about wheelsets as most of you do that is why i am asking for your help, the only problem i see is most of you do not come in over 200 pounds. Any advice you can give would really be appreciated. I would not like to spend more than $3800 on the wheelset. please let me know if you need any more info. thanks.

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

You could build up a set of Enve 45 tubys. Those laced up to Extralite SX hubs would tip the scales at just under 1000 grams in a 20/28 hole count.

liketoride

by liketoride

I looked at doing that too, but i was hoping i could drop more weight than that. I was looking on your webpage because i wanted to go with dash hubs on the ax lightness rims but found out on your site i was too big for them. So i am asking if first you think the guy at extralite is correct and that wheel would hold me and second do you think 910 grams is too low for the kind of riding i do?

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

Great questions.

In my experience, the SXs can handle guys of your size. The heaviest rider we've put on them was 215 and we had no issues. The flange spacing is decently wide, and for their weight they are pretty darn durable.

Going much lighter than that though is going into unknown territory really. I think that the SX combined with the 45 tuby really is the best combination of weight and durability.
The Dashs are gorgeous hubs, but I definitely wouldn't trust them at your weight.

dayne

by dayne

1200g is pretty good going for a guy your size,
That is a structure thats holding about 10x it's own weight.
What else out there does that and can travel at speed over varying terrain.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

liketoride wrote:I am 6'2" and tip the scales at 230 pounds and am looking for the lightest possible wheelset that can hold me.

Weight off your bike will not help any more than weight off your body. You can spend a lot of money to save 1/2 lb and make your bike more fragile... or you can lose 1/2 lb. Same effect. Rims and tires are one place that has a bit more pronounced effect, especially on handling. Light rims make the bike handle "lighter", which you may or may not like.

You are in the heavy range for a rider on typical (ie normal weight) bike parts. So it would be wise to not go crazy with weight. A 150 lb rider might be fine on a carefully selected and exotic 10 lb bike, but you outweigh him by 50%, and you need a bike that is 50% stronger and stiffer.

If you really want to go this route, I'll 2nd Zen's suggestion of the Enve 45s, but you might be better served by Tune hubs if you can find them.
formerly rruff...

liketoride

by liketoride

I agree that the best way to loose a half pound off my bike is for me to get a half pound off my body. I don't have more than 10 pounds of fat to loose to come in at 4 percent. I came in at over 190 in the ninth grade. In college I weighted 218 at 6 percent body fat. I have not been hitting weights for over 5 years and the muscle does not leave me. I just want you to know I have a six pack, I am not a fat 230. I have only been riding for six months but I love it. I had looked at the enve rims but the ax rims said they could hold me and I think they are better looking and they are lighter. But from what I have read the enve are said to be much stronger at only 20 grams per rim heavier. I don't know what to do now as I was going to have my wife get them for Xmas for me. Thanks for the comments

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

Sounds like you are even stronger than the typical 230 lber... which should lean you towards stronger, stiffer components.

How much does your bike currently weigh? Does everything seem adequately stiff and strong?

If you do a lot of long rides, your upper body muscle should reduce pretty quickly.
formerly rruff...