Rapha Clothing

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

limba

by limba

I own a lot of Rapha products and like all of them. I've tried Assos, Gore, Sugoi, Pearl Izumi, Castelli, Giordana, etc, etc, etc. The only company that possibly makes better products is Assos. BUT Assos is even more money and generally looks too superhero inspired for me. As far as Rapha being overpriced, everything is overpriced! Junk bibs from Louis Garneau cost a lot of money and they're not even close to the quality of Rapha. Figure out what size you wear and wait for a sale. That's what I do.

periodcorrect

by periodcorrect

I have a number of Rapha pieces ( Bibs, Softshell, warmers...). I absolutely love my two Rapha jackets, the softshell and stowaway. Functioning wise they are awesome, plus the major style points. I have had both for years without any problems and lots of use.

I have not been so lucky with my wamers and one of my jerseys. My leg warmers ripped the second day I wore them. My long sleeve cross jersey popped stitching before I even went on a ride.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kac

by kac

A minor dissenting note on Rapha but my comment is restricted exclusively to their summer leather gloves. Mine came apart at the seams (literally and figuratively) in less than a single season's use. A local shoe repair shop restitched one seam, then the other glove completely came apart. When I purchased these, I thought the stitching looked too refined (more Saville Row bespoke suit than heavy-duty cycling glove). Rapha customer service was solicitous but, in the end, unhelpful. Of course, in the final analysis, this anecdote means nothing except that, unlike some retailers and some manufacturers, Rapha apparently does not have a "no questions asked" service and return policy.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

kac wrote:A minor dissenting note on Rapha but my comment is restricted exclusively to their summer leather gloves. Mine came apart at the seams (literally and figuratively) in less than a single season's use. A local shoe repair shop restitched one seam, then the other glove completely came apart. When I purchased these, I thought the stitching looked too refined (more Saville Row bespoke suit than heavy-duty cycling glove). Rapha customer service was solicitous but, in the end, unhelpful. Of course, in the final analysis, this anecdote means nothing except that, unlike some retailers and some manufacturers, Rapha apparently does not have a "no questions asked" service and return policy.
Funny thing is their gloves are the only part of the range that are made in the UK. I suspect that the back up is a function of the actual producer's willingness to back up their work to Rapha. Damned British workers!

idler

by idler

In Australia Rapha bought online from the UK (particularly sale items) is significantly cheaper than buying brands like Capo and Assos from local retailers.

Assos is very expensive here - but it still sells very well (a lot of club racers/members in Sydney appear to have pretty decent amounts of the stuff in their wardrobes). This could be a reflection of the fact that Australia has been pretty much unaffected by the GFC overall.

What I "don't get" is the degree of hate directed towards Rapha from UK residents (in particular). They are just a brand of well made cycle clothing that take a bit of inspiration from road cycling's past and from writing of people like Tim Krabbe. Sure they may be a bit more expensive than the likes of Altura, dhb or god help us Aldi - but if you have the money you are getting a quality product (who cares where it's made - the Assos shorts I have come from Bulgaria). Here a well fitting and good looking bit of kit may get a nice comment and a question about where you got it - and that's about it. Is the negativity which I see so often on UK forums just a cultural difference or something more?

BTW I have Assos, Castelli, Rapha, Santini, Gore Bike Wear, dhb, Giordana and Etxe-ondo clothing. Rapha is pretty good - I actually prefer their chamois to Assos, but my favourite is the Gore Xenon stuff (again pretty pricey I suppose).

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

idler wrote:In Australia Rapha bought online from the UK (particularly sale items) is significantly cheaper than buying brands like Capo and Assos from local retailers.

Assos is very expensive here - but it still sells very well (a lot of club racers/members in Sydney appear to have pretty decent amounts of the stuff in their wardrobes). This could be a reflection of the fact that Australia has been pretty much unaffected by the GFC overall.

What I "don't get" is the degree of hate directed towards Rapha from UK residents (in particular). They are just a brand of well made cycle clothing that take a bit of inspiration from road cycling's past and from writing of people like Tim Krabbe. Sure they may be a bit more expensive than the likes of Altura, dhb or god help us Aldi - but if you have the money you are getting a quality product (who cares where it's made - the Assos shorts I have come from Bulgaria). Here a well fitting and good looking bit of kit may get a nice comment and a question about where you got it - and that's about it. Is the negativity which I see so often on UK forums just a cultural difference or something more?

BTW I have Assos, Castelli, Rapha, Santini, Gore Bike Wear, dhb, Giordana and Etxe-ondo clothing. Rapha is pretty good - I actually prefer their chamois to Assos, but my favourite is the Gore Xenon stuff (again pretty pricey I suppose).

Some sanity at last!

Richyo

by Richyo

veloruche wrote:Image

So its just not my Assos bibs that have gone brown (probably from washing or sun)

sawyer

by sawyer

idler wrote:In Australia Rapha bought online from the UK (particularly sale items) is significantly cheaper than buying brands like Capo and Assos from local retailers.

I think the supreme authenticity Rapha's marketing aims for winds some people up who see a relatively new brand laying the marketing on with trowel as anything but authentic.

Their team kit looks well made and is an aero looking fit (unlike virtually all of their other clothing, which is a reason I'm not a big fan), but you do pay for it ... £120 for a jersey is a fair bit more than say Sportful can be had for. That is full price to be fair, but still more.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

sawyer wrote:Their team kit looks well made and is an aero looking fit (unlike virtually all of their other clothing, which is a reason I'm not a big fan), but you do pay for it ... £120 for a jersey is a fair bit more than say Sportful can be had for. That is full price to be fair, but still more.
to be fair their classic jersey comes with arm warmers included at that £120.

sawyer

by sawyer

ultimobici wrote:
sawyer wrote:Their team kit looks well made and is an aero looking fit (unlike virtually all of their other clothing, which is a reason I'm not a big fan), but you do pay for it ... £120 for a jersey is a fair bit more than say Sportful can be had for. That is full price to be fair, but still more.
to be fair their classic jersey comes with arm warmers included at that £120.

I'm talking about their team kit which I think is £120 for the jersey alone

http://www.rapha.cc/rapha-condor-sharp-jersey

Clubagreenie

by Clubagreenie

I have a few Rapha items and find them brilliant .
I rate them higher than Sugoi RSE , which I am forever having the seams fall apart , the zips are of a poor quality.

I am more than happy to keep purchasing their products , esp the light weight jersey for summer down here. For me as long as the quality in fabric and workmanship is there so will be my money
I wonder if the Chinese connection will drop the prices ??
2012 KUOTA KOM Team Edition Campag SR11 .....My mistress
2012 RIDLEY HELIUM being built up ....

sawyer

by sawyer

Clubagreenie wrote:I have a few Rapha items and find them brilliant .
I rate them higher than Sugoi RSE , which I am forever having the seams fall apart , the zips are of a poor quality.

I am more than happy to keep purchasing their products , esp the light weight jersey for summer down here. For me as long as the quality in fabric and workmanship is there so will be my money
I wonder if the Chinese connection will drop the prices ??

On your last point, I very much doubt it. Or at least I'd be surprised if a business like Rapha charitably gave up margin.

They do though have more competition than they had a couple of years ago, albeit few if any that have invested so much effort in marketing, but that might impact pricing. It's been a rapidly growing market though with fairly limited competition. If the growth in the market slows and competitors continue to improve that will change things.

China /made in the UK is interesting, but only really relevant to their UK market. If anything I sense where something is produced is a growing concern among consumers but not on quality grounds - rather on the grounds of generating employment in the home country.

mrowkoob

by mrowkoob

I like Rapha. But it´s really unfair to compare them to Assos and Castelli especially who pour tons of resources into development of highend technical garments for racing.
The unbearable wallet lightness of being a weightweenie

heathhandsome

by heathhandsome

i have a good bit of rapha in my wardrobe. gotta say it is really nice stuff. very well made, perfect fit, and of course the style. in regards to other companies it is every bit as good as any one else out there. i also have some assos and the rapha is just as high in terms of quality. it seems to be rapha is even more durable.

and the rapha winter jersey looks good out and about too... i wear it out all the time. always get compliments.

inthedrops

by inthedrops

ultimobici wrote:
inthedrops wrote:I like Rapha clothing, have a couple jerseys but that's it. I find the quality is good and the price is fair as long as you wait for a good sale. The materials have been great in both summer and winter. I've owned my first jersey for a few years now and it's still holding up perfectly fine. There aren't any other brands out there with the same look of Rapha (that I'm aware of).
Don't you mean affordable.

Perhaps "reasonable" is an even better word. Practically nothing about cycling clothing is "affordable".

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com