Factory CX disc wheels - what's out there?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

maddog 2

by maddog 2

Not for CXing but for my 700c disc'd commuter.

Just been looking for some new wheels and tempted by some of the lighter 29er wheels (eg. Crest on Pro2 EVO) but the rims are a tad wide for road tyres, even the 28mm I commute on. FSA used to do some 700c disc wheels and Mavic has the Speedcity.

So.... are there any mid price* 700c disc wheels out there yet......? [clincher, 6-bolt]

or is it handbuilt time?

* shall we say sub £300...ish

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maddog 2

by maddog 2

that many eh? :wink:

Ypsylon

by Ypsylon

130 or 135mm rear hub?
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.

maddog 2

by maddog 2

I've found a few:

Mavic Speedcity (already mentioned) - CRC had them on offer recently... http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... set-13993/

Reynolds Assault CX
http://road.cc/content/image/42324-reyn ... ault-cxjpg

Stans: not sure if you'd call this a factory wheel but Stans Alpha on ZTR hubs
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/ ... LUK&cc=GBP

FSA RD-460 - discontinued but there may be the odd pair floating about

Williams - never heard of them and they don't look cheap
http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/w ... ook-28356/

and then you've got a load of 29er wheels which aren't quite right, as I've mentioned.

743power
Shop Wrench

by 743power

Just do hand built. Use a Mavic tn719 and pick your hub. Maybe look for a sale on cross max 29ers? They have some of the narrowest rims around. The older Easton xc one or xc two 29 have narrow rims as well.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

maddog 2

by maddog 2

cheers 743

I've just been reading about the Zipp firecrest rims and they run much wider rims than conventional 700c rims - I've seen comments say they are 25mm and the rim bead! This is even wider than most XC-type 29er rims (Stans Crests are 21mm), which makes me think that maybe the 29er route is the way to go. If the Zipps are fine with 23 or 25mm road tyres then so will the Crest rim.

Will read more.

PS Bonty do some 29er wheelsets too: 3 Race Lite versions

maddog 2

by maddog 2

just an update...

Bought a front 29er Stans Crest on Hope EVO hub in the end and rode it today with a 28mm Conti GP4Season. Works fine.

Tried to fit a Hutchinson Intensive tubeless but it was just too tight so went for the clincher Conti instead. I could have got it on but I'd be in trouble out on the road if I got a terminal puncture and needed to fit a tube, so I went for the safer option instead.

I'll probably do the rear wheel like this next - Crest+Hope+GP4Season. Should be a good commuting setup I think. Disc braking on the front - what a relief! Power, feel, oh yes...

toad

by toad

I have been very tempted to get the Crest for my next CX disc build. I also want to run 28c tires during summer, but the Crest has a 21mm internal width, and a 60 psi max. If you run tubes, don't you worry about pinch flats? That is the only thing keeping me from the same setup, though I would love to use the same wheels on a 29er for racing.
SkidMap.Com
2011 Cannondale Scalpel
2010 Giant TCR Advanced SL
1943 Sieber Track Bike

maddog 2

by maddog 2

I've seen the max psi thing with Crests but I've also heard reports of people running 80+ psi without any issues so I took the limit with a pinch of salt. I'm currently running 80psi in my GP4Season (with a tube) and they've been okay so far, on the two road rides I've done. Obviously if they fall apart then I'll probably re-assess my pholosphy of salt usage....

jooo

by jooo

60 psi limit (or whatever it is on a Crest) is tubeless only AFAIK. Run whatever pressure you like with tubes!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

From a 'price is no object' standpoint, seems like a set of Enve 29er tubulars laced 24/24 to DT240 would make for a really nice set of CX race wheels and the carbon clinchers for all-purpose/training. Unfortuantely for most of us, price is a consideration as that combo is very pricey at $2450 retail direct from Enve.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"