Boardman CX Weight?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

toad

by toad

Noob here, been lurking for many years. Love the input here, as I have been a WW since I started racing MTB in 2006. I always find that someone has answered my question, even questions I never knew I had. Now I finally have a question of my own, and cannot find any info anywhere.

As the subject asks, I am trying to find more info on the Boardman CX line. I don't want to get into a philosophic debate about disc and cyclocross racing. I use a cyclocross bike 99% for training, commuting, and exploring unknown (often unpaved) roads. I did this the past 2 years on a Ridley with cantilevers and I hate them. Here in Utah, you can descend steep dirt roads for long periods of time. I have had to stop to rest my hands from the cantis and slammed my ankle on the rear canti more times than I care to admit. For that 1% where I enter a local weekly CX race to get my HR up, I don't want a total tank. I can also throw on some high end wheels that can double as 29er race wheels.

So back to the question. Does anyone know the weight of the Boardman CX frame and forks? It appears that their CX Pro model is made of a lighter tube set, but how much lighter? I would prefer an all carbon frameset, but there just isn't much out there, especially not at this great price point. I like the smooth welds and the finish looks nice. The cable routing is fine, since I use it mostly for just riding like a road bike. Looks like a nice package, but the posted weight looks horrific, 22 pounds for a SRAM Force equipped model, are the tires filled with cement? My Cannondale Scalpel MTB stock weighed less than that back when it had XO, a lead FSA crank and heavy stock wheels.

Thanks!
SkidMap.Com
2011 Cannondale Scalpel
2010 Giant TCR Advanced SL
1943 Sieber Track Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

scale29

by scale29

They are VERY heavy! that weight would probably be about right, in fact the UK Professional Boardman sponsored riders won't use them, instead using rebadged other frames.

once

by once

I was wondering myself about the (frame) weight too: The Boardman CX Team is spec'ed at 22 lbs as well while using a heavier frame and groupset. May be an error on the website. I tried to contact Boardman Bikes by email regarding this issue, but haven't heard back from them until now.

martyh

by martyh

If it helps any I have a boardman team cx that I use as a training bike.
It has had the suicide levers removed, changed the seatpost to an FRM straight pull one and a selle italia slr saddle. Pedals are shimano m520.
Weight is around 9.2kg with pedals.

Decent bike, solid reliable, but it definitely feels a little sluggish when compared to the focus I have.

once

by once

Thanks for your answer.

martyh wrote:If it helps any I have a boardman team cx that I use as a training bike.
It has had the suicide levers removed, changed the seatpost to an FRM straight pull one and a selle italia slr saddle. Pedals are shimano m520.
Weight is around 9.2kg with pedals.

That's not too bad. The Pro should be even lighter then. Is yours the 2012 model with disc brakes? Which frame size?

Decent bike, solid reliable, but it definitely feels a little sluggish when compared to the focus I have.

Focus Mares CX or AX?

toad

by toad

Hey Once, thanks for joining just to answer my question, :wink: .

Still have not received a frame weight value, but was informed that the "CX Pro" model is 150 grams lighter and stiffer. Also, the Comp model is not BB30. My old Ridley Crossbow running basic alloy cockpit, heavy wheels, and SRAM Force, was 9.4 kilos, and that fork had an alloy steer tube. All models of the Boardman CX line boast a full carbon fork. I was kind of hoping that their own brand parts (seatpost, bars, stem, saddle) were really heavy, so that the frame provides a platform that could be used to race.

I may just order a CX Comp, strip it and weigh it out of sheer morbid curiosity. After all, it would be a beautiful all-rounder.
SkidMap.Com
2011 Cannondale Scalpel
1943 Sieber Track Bike

once

by once

toad wrote:Hey Once, thanks for joining just to answer my question, :wink: .

:)

Still have not received a frame weight value, but was informed that the "CX Pro" model is 150 grams lighter and stiffer.

That would be something - there must be a difference in weight with the lighter tube set. That's why it's hard to believe that the CX Team with the SRAM Force is equal in weight.

Also, the Comp model is not BB30. My old Ridley Crossbow running basic alloy cockpit, heavy wheels, and SRAM Force, was 9.4 kilos, and that fork had an alloy steer tube. All models of the Boardman CX line boast a full carbon fork. I was kind of hoping that their own brand parts (seatpost, bars, stem, saddle) were really heavy, so that the frame provides a platform that could be used to race.

Yes, and the wheel set is probably not the lightest as well...

I may just order a CX Comp, strip it and weigh it out of sheer morbid curiosity. After all, it would be a beautiful all-rounder.

Did you consider frames like the Kinesis Crosslight Pro6?

Dammit

by Dammit

I have a Boardman CX Team, following specification, I'll weigh it when I get home, from memory it's just under 10 kg:

Boardman CX Team frame/fork, size Lg
Ergonova pro 44cm c-c bars
Thomson X4 stem, 120 mm
Thomson Elite seatpost
Fizik Arione Saddle
Time ATAC ROC-S pedals
Hope Pro II hub to Mavic TN719 front wheel
Formula to Ritchey rear wheel
Conti Gatorskins, folding, 25c front and rear
BB7's front and rear
Goodrich cabling for the brakes, suicide levers binned, problem solvers cable pull amplifier at the front
Apec mechs and shifters
11-32 cassette
FSA Gossamer BB30 cranks, 50/34

This was when it had a couple of changes from stock:

toad

by toad

Dammit: Perfect, parts with known weights + frame should give some idea, waiting with eager anticipation, thanks!

Kinesis: Never heard of them, but they look like a UK only brand. The weights posted look a bit heavy, unless they include the fork, in which case they are really light. I am guessing the weight is frame only though. For CX racing they look nice and I like their color schemes. I am not really going to use it for racing, and I don't like cables routed on the top tube. No matter how well I protect it, I always seem to clip it with my heal and eventually the top tube looks trashed. I also like to sit on the top tube at stop lights or chatting with friends. For the same price and weight (and ugly welds), I could pick up a Crux Disc here in the states, and get internal cable routing. But then I would be like 90% of the bikes here, Specialized. Though Boardman is generally not sold here, they are known because of the UHC racing team, and because they are not generally sold here, I think it would be kind of cool. Then add the smooth welds, it gives it that "Is that carbon or alu, what is that bike" kind of mystique. It is really a project/training bike for fun, but I don't want to bolt carbon bits to a boat anchor.
SkidMap.Com
2011 Cannondale Scalpel
1943 Sieber Track Bike

Dammit

by Dammit

My intention is to strip the paint off mine and run it bare alloy, at which point I will weigh the bare frame.

That's going to be in spring, unless I get a different winter training bike (at which role it currently excels) first.

DarioHache

by DarioHache

Glad to see this review. I'm investigating the Boardman Road Team CX from here in Texas and trying to get a better idea of its geometry before I commit to ordering it. The website has the basics, but I'm looking also for the wheelbase and standover dimensions (for a "large" frame size -- what is the cm equivalent by the way? -- their sizing guide is also a bit cryptic besides trying to be helpful).

I like the tight head tube angle and fork rake, as I plan to do double duty for fast road riding in the summer. Many CX bikes are too (relatively) relaxed for my taste (though for good reasons, naturally). So far, the Specialized Crux has the best geometry setup and handling, with a shorter than average wheelbase and steeper head tube angle, etc., plus a comfortable dismounting height.

I'm trying to figure out if the Boardman Team CX would be roughly equivalent.

Any thoughts? Can anyone breakout their tape measure and tell me what you find out about WB and SO? I've emailed "wiggle.com"s customer service (apparently the exclusive distributor overseas), but no answer yet.

Thanks!

nickaero

by nickaero

Hi, I don't suppose any of the above are still interested as I am rather late to the party but I also needed the answer to this question. I could not find the information I needed but I took the plunge anyway, stripped it down and weighed as I the dismantling progressed. Lots of figures allong the way ending with a rather hefty 2015 55.5 CX Team frame inc hanger, 6x small bolts (for bottle cages and rear mudguard) and bb30 bearing coming in @2140g :shock: . The full carbon forks on the other hand where an impressive 480g with a steerer length of 240mm :thumbup: .....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com