what a nice piece of kit! the machining of the yolks is fabulous

a bit porky!!

the lovely workmanship on the yolks

the one it replaces

thats more like it!!

nice!!
ImageImage

monkey approves

i might have to get the engineer to make me a carbon cradle the extralight unit is a porky 15g

should be able to trim that down to 5g with a carbon unit.. also maybe look at fluting the inside of the insertion area...
this post can be lighter... the yolks and hardware are lighter than the new ultimate ones and much nicer to look at!

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

final parts list...

2011 med Parlee Z5 custom paint work
2010 campag Super Record 11 speed gruppo
50/34 170mm cranks, 11-25 cassette
3t ergonova LTD 40cm bars
Zero gravity Neg G Ti brakes
Speedplay zero pedals + Ti axle upgrade
SLR kit carbona flow saddle stripped
Lizard skin race tape
Extralite The Post UL2 seatpost
Extralite 90mm stem
Extralite top cap and bolt.
Extralite UltraStar 2
Extralite bottle cage bolts
Extralite SX series hubs laced to enve 1.45 rims 20/24, ceramic upgrade and stealth decals
Veloflex Extreme tubular tires
Emporelli Dolomiti bottle cages
Token TK2341 carbon y-cut skewers
5.60kgs

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

billspreston

by billspreston

Sooooooooo nice!

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

fitted some campag bar ends and gave it a bit of a clean after this mornings ride good excuse for a few photos

jsinclair

by jsinclair

i love this bike.

cant wait to get mine...

MaLóL

by MaLóL

- what a saddle... i think it is as comfortable as going with no saddle at all, so you could save some grams. jump into saddleless...

- word parlee is over-repeated. that is something very from specialized or standard brands. for an independent and expensive brand as this one, it's way too much. pity.

-new ultimate seatpost was lighter and way cooler.

-handlebar tape is a bit... fizik or cinelli looks better, more warm, not so thin rubbery look.

- very nice water bottle, are camelbak bottles nice? seems good. bottle cages look also great.

- very nice bike.
Happy trails !!!!!

Ozrider

by Ozrider

Really nice build, I like the new seatpost. Nice and superlight

Thinking of ways to lower weight on my Z5 without breaking the bank.
New SRAM Red and Edge 1.25's with Tune hubs
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Ozrider wrote:Really nice build, I like the new seatpost. Nice and superlight

Thinking of ways to lower weight on my Z5 without breaking the bank.
New SRAM Red and Edge 1.25's with Tune hubs

that would take a good chunk out of the bike

the enve tune combo would be well under 1kg the pair
for your weight 24/28s would be bullet proof and still stupidly light

have you thought about Neg gravity GSL brakes..? they can be had brand new for as little as $200 from the bay and once set up are really very nice and powerful stoppers.. plus your saving 80-100g over the big 3s brake sets.
alloy bolts are pretty cheap and can be used for a number of applications
a light topcap and expander is also a cheap way to lose 30-50g

i have a set of THM m3s in the post from fairwheel bikes which is a very exciting upgrade.
i'm gunning for sub 5.5 but i did just change the veloflex rear tire for a conti comp and have a heavier saddle on right now as the SLR is been gel coated
so right now shes back up too 5.66 :P
Last edited by sugarkane on Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

MaLóL wrote:- what a saddle... i think it is as comfortable as going with no saddle at all, so you could save some grams. jump into saddleless...

- word parlee is over-repeated. that is something very from specialized or standard brands. for an independent and expensive brand as this one, it's way too much. pity.

-new ultimate seatpost was lighter and way cooler.

-handlebar tape is a bit... fizik or cinelli looks better, more warm, not so thin rubbery look.

- very nice water bottle, are camelbak bottles nice? seems good. bottle cages look also great.

- very nice bike.

ok....

i don't mind the parlee decals it's still a very low key bike when seen in the company of big name machines, i could have gone with ghost decals but i really don't know that the ghost BoB thing isn't a bit of a trend that may or may not last

this was my last bike and i think the parlee is quite a bit more low key than the old serotta was

the new ultimate post was a little lighter and is a very fine post but i have wanted an extralite post for ever and they are very, very rare. Jason at fairwheel even managed to find a set of extralite chain ring bolts for my new crank set helping round out the extralite gruppo i have got going on.. i do like to try and keep the stem and post matchy matchy

i wasn't the biggest fan of the lizard skin tapes aesthetics either but.... have you ever used the stuff?

it's on an other level to anything i've used up in till now. such a nice feel under hand and so much more comfortable than the fizik offerings... sometimes function wins out over form

the camelbacks are great bottles, they don't taste plasticy and you don't have to open and close em every time you use em. the black ones go well with the bike but now that summer is here i might have to get into my stash of clear ones.. the black ones might warm up very quickly on hot days and that wont be much fun

and the saddle... i've clocked nearly 2000kms on that saddle and its great.. it's very flexible through the middle and the shape really suits me nicely, as long as your wearing a good pair of bibs you can't really tell the difference between my one and a non stripped SLR
looks great on the bike too..

its an amazing little bike to ride, i can't say i don't like any of the parts i've used either, they hold up to my 85kgs with out any fuss or breakages. Can't be unhappy with that really can I?

MaLóL

by MaLóL

I have to agree, stem and seatpost match is a great thing, looks good. I don't think it's anything rare though, if you have the dollars, you can get them online easily. Serotta decoration looks really much better, i think. I have tried that tape, but is a personal thing i suppose. I don't like the sticky feel and with time is doesn't look too good. very nice bike indeed.

full black anodized rings and alligator mini i-link cable housing will make the bike even better.
Happy trails !!!!!

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

MaLóL wrote:I have to agree, stem and seatpost match is a great thing, looks good. I don't think it's anything rare though, if you have the dollars, you can get them online easily. Serotta decoration looks really much better, i think. I have tried that tape, but is a personal thing i suppose. I don't like the sticky feel and with time is doesn't look too good. very nice bike indeed.

full black anodized rings and alligator mini i-link cable housing will make the bike even better.

got as set of THM M3s in gloss and a set of praxis liquid black ano rings coming with the cranks

i've been toying with the idea of a set of black nokons.. the i-links are cheaper and lighter but they kinda look like barb wire.. either system would drop a good chunk of weight out of this build though.

g_doraz

by g_doraz

Sweet ride. Love the red highlights.
Road bike: Pinarello Dogma 60.1
TT bike: Trek Speed Concept

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4XxCZagAjk

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

ok nice box from fair wheel bikes :D

weight drop isn't that impressive because i had to replace the rear veloflex tire with a spare conti comp ( yuck but i own it so i'll run it into the ground ) and the lighter flow saddle is off been painted

the corrected weight of the THMs is 612g, and the corrected weight of the SR cranks is 706g

with a veloflex in the rear and the other saddle it should be 5.49kgs...

still very happy woth the M3s, they look amazing and it seems to shift pretty well

Ozrider

by Ozrider

Those cranks look really good. I've also just ordered Praxis chainrings and a few other bits from FWB and my LBS
5.5 is a damn good weight
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Thanks oz rider

I think the praxis rings are pretty ace. I wasn't sure about the looks but it seems to work pertty well.
I reckon the front mech needs to come up .5mm to help snap that chain up..

Going to try and get some well lit out door pics or a shoot done in my mates studio in the next few weeks..

Maybe a set of nokons in the new year.. :)

Hmmm

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com