So... you want to be a Pro Cyclist?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

I'm with TW.

The racing scene is as tough as it gets. You need to be tougher to survive.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CoachFergie

by CoachFergie

wassertreter wrote:Ok it's a hard camp, but the psychological pressure and apparent "tv casting show setting" of candidates not knowing what's next -- sorry, I just can't see how that's a useful selection criterion. People are different, some perform best the hard way, others need a calm and reflective environment to live up to their potential.

That isn't how the real world of cycling works. In the AIS and Bike NZ environment with good depth of riders selections for each race can be made on form rather than availability. Riders have pretty short notice. Shane Archbold finished the Oceania Games on Thursday and was told that night he was on a plane the next day headed to ride the World Cup in Cali Colombia.
Hamish Ferguson
Cycling Coach

KWalker

by KWalker

Cadel didn't come up through AIS did he?
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Yep. Though through mtb not road.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

And this is what they are "fighting" for a place at:-

tinyurl.com/6m9ztl7
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."

Privateer

by Privateer

Will Greenedge have a women's team?

KWalker

by KWalker

I'm curious to see how the other countries have riders come up and contrast. I think that would be a better comparison than speculating at this point.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Privateer wrote:Will Greenedge have a women's team?

Pending. However the facility is not just for GreenEdge but also the development team.

EDIT: Below chart explains paths.

1in20

by 1in20

1in20

by 1in20

I think the selection process of course was pretty reality tv esque, but still it is pretty important to illustrate to the athletes the other side to being a full-time athlete on the other side of the world. My experiences living on the other side of the world in a culturally difficult country (AUS vs FRA) made racing just a small part of the difficulty facing young adult athletes.

paddydog

by paddydog

tapeworm,

If you want info about special forces selection process, the only think I can tell you is...there is no finish line.

cheers,

D.

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

No, paddy, rather I was curious about those whom have been through a real selection of some kind as to what they made of the model the AIS have tried out here.

In my experience it would seem those complain or critique it the most are those least able or willing to go through it themselves.

I know when I read it and thought... I would love to have a crack (if I was a chick). :lol:

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

One of our local girls got cut on the second last day.

Sprintsystem

by Sprintsystem

Has anybody given the thought that this is a joke og som other kind of experiment, and not reality ? Its crazy and bordering inhuman if the history given by Lisa is anywhere close to a reality.
I need a leadout "train"

devinci

by devinci

I dont think its that crazy. Racing IS tough. I race FAR from pro level or anything close to it, and sometimes the racing conditions are PURE CRAP. Its a mental toughness game. Not only the racing, but the crapy hotels, food availability and sleep conditions are not always what you'd like when racing for a few consecutive days.

Even though im not a pro and far from it, I've raced in shitty condition, rain and cold, sunny and way too humid, tropical storms, thunderstorms, freezing my ass off I had to warm my fingers behind my knees, shaking on fast descents. So cold while raining I had to pee on myself while in a breakaway, so on. Thats without talking about the sleep conditions... I think this kind of scenario just separates the kids from the tough guys who can do the job full time.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com