colnago di2 fd setup

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sastre

by sastre

so ive just bought a colnago frame with di2 and spent today setting it upand got it shiffting.
thing is in the instructions the first thing to do is set the front mech 1-0.5 mm behind the large chainring but when i tighten the mech bolt it takes the angle out beond the chainring before ive set the frame suport screw. any ideas.
Last edited by sastre on Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Full steam we go against the odds
Headfirst we go against the grain
Against the odds, against the grain
We go against the odds, against the grain

sastre

by sastre

37 veiws :noidea:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

upside

by upside

When your FD is on your large chainring, the outer plate should have about 1mm of clearance. The same will be in your small chain ring.. 1mm from the inner plate, thats it. You will also find out if you turn in the cage from the rear about 1 to 1.5 mm the shifting to the big ring is very powerful.
You know where the adjustment stops are I hope
This should get you up and running or you could defer to the Shimano doc's.

sastre

by sastre

laager wrote:Bent braze on? Misaligned braze on?

this is what im thinking .

i dont have any adjustment of the mech once it bolted tight because its moved over and the inside plate of the mech rubs on the inside of the chainring . ive got the alli protector on the frame and have used the groupset on another frame. looking to see if anyones had the same problems .

have the mech alingment bolt all the way in and the cage still hangs to far over the chainring.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

just to be clear, when you tighten the bolt, the back (tail) of the front derailleur sticks out (to the right) instead of slightly inward, right?

sastre

by sastre

thisisatest wrote:just to be clear, when you tighten the bolt, the back (tail) of the front derailleur sticks out (to the right) instead of slightly inward, right?

thats right can get it to shift but theres no fine adjustment so what works in one position rubs in another.

thinking the worst :roll:

sastre

by sastre

shifts not bad but does'nt look right.

Stuartclark1977

by Stuartclark1977

The angle adjustment screw could be screwed too far in, I think it is between the high and low adjustment screw and uses the same size allen key, back this all the way out and see if that helps. Outlined in the tech doc for the FD setup.

sastre

by sastre

done that . its at this angle before u use the frame support screw.
wonder if it the mech but it worked on old frame. the mech looks an feels solid but wonder if its bent :noidea: .

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

so what i would do is this:
remove the front derailleur mounting bolt. holding the derailleur firmly on the braze-on, move the derailleur left and right, through its angle adjustment range. look at the mounting threads, and see if the slot in the mount obscures the hole when the derailleur approaches "tail in". if it does, easy. get the derailleur out of the way and gently bend the right side of the mount to the back. you could easily do this with a medium sized screwdriver inserted at an angle in the slot. a little movement will go a long way.
if the hole does not get obscured by the mount, then something else is keeping the derailleur from lining up. i would inspect the concave washer that goes on the mounting screw, and see if its right-most edge gets caught at the edge of the mount's slot. that can keep the derailleur from pivoting freely during adjustment.

good luck

NS

by NS

See what happens when you get a frame that's not made in Taiwan!

The hangar might need a bit of a tweak I'm sure the lbs you got it from will sort it out either by sourcing you a new frame or by adjusting it for you.

Nice rug btw

sastre

by sastre

ok so panic over :beerchug:

after some messing around ive managed to get the angle on the derailler it was really tight and the angle was quite hard to get. i think its the paint theres so much on there geting the rear wheel in i hand to scape some out of the dropout to get it in. the alinement bolt now does its job to wind out the mech.

thisisatest
get the derailleur out of the way and gently bend the right side of the mount to the back. you could easily do this with a medium sized screwdriver inserted at an angle in the slot. a little movement will go a long way.

woodnt of had the balls to do that . thanks for the help though got really frustrated after the shop i got it from took its time to get the frame to me so i panicked but really happy now.

ns
See what happens when you get a frame that's not made in Taiwan!

The hangar might need a bit of a tweak I'm sure the lbs you got it from will sort it out either by sourcing you a new frame or by adjusting it for you.

Nice rug btw

id love for far more products to be made in the uk but most if not nealy all manufactring is out sourced because of cost fear that nothing will change .

the rug gets rid of echo in the room

thanks again . :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Sorry, mispost.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ