Brake pads

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

Hello (again) :-)

What kind of brake pads are the best in braking power? I heard that the red Ritchey brake pads should be really good!

Thanks!

twistyaction usa

by twistyaction usa

If you're talking about canti's, V or not, Kool Stop are as good as Ritchey and I think they make the Ritchey anyway. If you're running regular cantilevers and don't care about rim wear, Matthauser orange are the best. Unfortunately, I believe they're out of production, though some shops saw this coming and stocked up. Of more importance is a stiff system: Good lever/leverage, Nokon, and brake posts that don't deflect too much (carbon brake booster?)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Boonen

by Boonen

maybe you'll find this post interesting: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... php?t=6882

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

Thanks for the link - I will look at it! Are those BBB pads really that good?

Boonen

by Boonen

They are nothing special, but when you'r brakes are set up right they brake just fine. I tried differend brakepads, but couldn't really feel any difference between the cheapest and the more expensive one's, so I just get the cheapest and replace them very often.

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

Exactly - a good setup can make poor brakes stop okay!

BTW Mr. Boonen - you seems to have large knowledge about cross-stuff! I'm looking for some latex innertubes for 700x42 tires! Have you found these anywhere?

Boonen

by Boonen

42mm tires :shock: That's big :wink:
Only descent tubes I know of that come that big are Vittoria's Ultralight's. I will keep an eye open for you for latex tires that big.

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

I know the tires are pretty wide but I have been riding the cross-bike at the local mtb-tracks so I thought it would be nicer with wider tires.

Thanks for the lookout :-)

When do you ride?

Boonen

by Boonen

When I'm in Denmark I ride around in Djursland and Vejle (both mtb and road). But I also know Hareskoven a little bit :D

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

Are you an elite-racer or something? I haven't tried riding in Djursland - any good areas? I know Vejle and that's good terrain - not that big but really hilly compared to normal danish conditions!

Boonen

by Boonen

Mads, check your PM :wink:

Boonen

by Boonen

Boonen wrote:42mm tires :shock: That's big :wink:
Only descent tubes I know of that come that big are Vittoria's Ultralight's. I will keep an eye open for you for latex tires that big.

I asked around for these, but all I heard was these don't excist in lates. When racing cx the maximum allowed tirewith is 35mm. You could try and pump a 35mm tube in your 42 tire, but I'm not sure how durable these will be.
Maybe you should try some skinnier tires, I bet you will be faster with them :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com