Shimano Dura-Ace 9000 Series - 11sp

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

roca rule

by roca rule

andyindo wrote:If anyone really thinks discs are going to get them down a typical Alpine descent faster than normal brakes then I think they need to work on their skills and cornering technique first.

Absolutely agree.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

justkeepedaling wrote:
Briscoelab wrote:Anyone want a few sets of C24 tubulars? :)

You can ship some to me, I'll pay postage :lol:

Postage will be about $1000 :)

rgkicksbutt

by rgkicksbutt

My thinking here is that most people who are wanting to keep normal brakes haven't ridden a mountain bike, or are people that recently got into mountain biking and have only known the power of discs.

I've raced MTB's with cantilever, v-brakes, and hydraulic discs. In all conditions, from rainy all day epics in mountains to dry flat terrain. The brakes have gotten better and more powerful in the order I listed them. I still think that if it's dry and you are in flat terrain that doesn't require a lot of slowing down, v-brakes are fine on a MTB. As soon as it rains, yes, they still work, but hydraulic discs are A LOT better. And this is at the 50-40 km/h max you hit on MTB trails. I can only imagine how nice they would be on a wet road ride/race when you are at 80+ km/h. If you think it can be fixed with better technique you obviously haven't ridden/raced in the rain. Lower power is lower power, you can't stop as fast. Good technique is being able to slow down quickly, and in as little distance as possible for a corner to maximize the time you spend at a higher speed before the corner. If discs allow you to slow down to the required speed faster, then you will be at a higher speed for longer, and therefore, faster overall.

One road ride I did was particularly frightening and made me really want discs that day. It was in South Carolina, we did about 180 km that day and it was pouring the whole time, and we were in the mountains the whole time. It was training, so I had open pro's and standard Shimano pads (Ultegra), not known for their poor power. They were brand new at the start of the camp down there, and this was the 3rd day in, practically no wear. By the end everyone in my group had little-to-no pads left, quite a few were metal on metal. Only 'technique' that would have kept us safe is being pussies and not riding, but hey, coach said ride. Point: my MTB pads last half a season in all conditions, don't wear out in one ride (unless using organics in a wet sandy race, but that's another story).

Do we NEED them? No. But they will make the ride a little nicer, and probably a little faster. That's called development. Of course there will still be the hardcore WW's that will keep the rim brakes.

Of course there will still be the hardcore WW's that will keep the rim brakes

I find it kinda funny because there are also threads here about which road brake is more powerful and how many people won't use certain lightweight brands because they don't give enough power.

andyindo

by andyindo

rgkicksbutt wrote:My thinking here is that most people who are wanting to keep normal brakes haven't ridden a mountain bike, or are people that recently got into mountain biking and have only known the power of discs.

I've raced MTB's with cantilever, v-brakes, and hydraulic discs. In all conditions, from rainy all day epics in mountains to dry flat terrain. The brakes have gotten better and more powerful in the order I listed them. I still think that if it's dry and you are in flat terrain that doesn't require a lot of slowing down, v-brakes are fine on a MTB. As soon as it rains, yes, they still work, but hydraulic discs are A LOT better. And this is at the 50-40 km/h max you hit on MTB trails. I can only imagine how nice they would be on a wet road ride/race when you are at 80+ km/h. If you think it can be fixed with better technique you obviously haven't ridden/raced in the rain. Lower power is lower power, you can't stop as fast. Good technique is being able to slow down quickly, and in as little distance as possible for a corner to maximize the time you spend at a higher speed before the corner. If discs allow you to slow down to the required speed faster, then you will be at a higher speed for longer, and therefore, faster overall.

One road ride I did was particularly frightening and made me really want discs that day. It was in South Carolina, we did about 180 km that day and it was pouring the whole time, and we were in the mountains the whole time. It was training, so I had open pro's and standard Shimano pads (Ultegra), not known for their poor power. They were brand new at the start of the camp down there, and this was the 3rd day in, practically no wear. By the end everyone in my group had little-to-no pads left, quite a few were metal on metal. Only 'technique' that would have kept us safe is being pussies and not riding, but hey, coach said ride. Point: my MTB pads last half a season in all conditions, don't wear out in one ride (unless using organics in a wet sandy race, but that's another story).

Do we NEED them? No. But they will make the ride a little nicer, and probably a little faster. That's called development. Of course there will still be the hardcore WW's that will keep the rim brakes.

Of course there will still be the hardcore WW's that will keep the rim brakes

I find it kinda funny because there are also threads here about which road brake is more powerful and how many people won't use certain lightweight brands because they don't give enough power.

OK, well I've raced road for the last 20 years, cyclocross for 8 and more recently mtb's for the last 5 years in ALL conditions from the 8 day Cape Epic to 24hr muddy races in the UK. Discs have their place, without a doubt in MTB and I'm glad to see the UCI allow them in cross as well. Road riding in mountains in the wet can be scary I agree, but even in the wet on the road I'm more concerned with sliding than braking and too much power can be a bad thing! You dont have abs on a disc brake! You can easily lock the back wheel with the brakes now, so why do we need more power unless you can also get improved traction on the road!Agree that because of the crossover from cyclocross we are no doubt going to see more discs on road bikes but the compatibility issues will be ridiculous.

BTW, disc pads can wear rapidly as well. MTB in Wales on a wet day and you can go through a set of pads in one ride. Its wonderful when you're halfway into your mtb ride and hear metal on metal and realise your back brake is out of pads. Havent had that happen on a road ride yet.... All pads wear, it just depends on the conditions......

hansonator69

by hansonator69

When are the carbon ceramic discs coming out? :lol:
Slam your stem.

PinnacleWheelWorks

by PinnacleWheelWorks

I also don't understand the need for disc brakes on a road bike. If I tried I could flip myself over the bars with 2 fingers on the lever as well as skid the rear tire with one finger. Maybe it is because I'm 135lbs???? Are heavier riders having issues with stopping power?

airwise

by airwise

andyindo wrote:If anyone really thinks discs are going to get them down a typical Alpine descent faster than normal brakes then I think they need to work on their skills and cornering technique first.

Well I didn't get overtaken on one all last year including competing in the majority of larger sportive events. My time for the descent of Alpe d'Huez is sub 14 minutes. I'm fairly confident I know what I'm talking about here but then I don't know you from Adam.

It amazes me how many posters STILL seem to think discs are all about power.

rambotan

by rambotan

I don't think anyone doubts a person can descent as fast (or faster) using normal brakes vs disc brakes in the right conditions and provide your equipment don't fail.

Disc brakes will address one common problem, which is going downhill if you use full carbon rims and if it also rains. If dry, carbon can overheat and cause the rim to break, resulting in a serious crash. If wet, normal braking on flats (with carbon wheels) is already a big?

It will pobably address the above but then again may introduce other problems to worry about.

I don't think disc brakes are meant to be all out powerful, the main thing going for it is the ease of modulating the brake force. You can already lock up using normal brakes thus already needing you to modulate the force on levers. If having disc brakes will give you even better braking modulation (will lock up with normal or disc brakes), then it is an improvement, in that respect. Conventional brakes with carbon braking surfaces can be grabby and inconsistent.

bikedoc

by bikedoc

ok as someone who has ridden MTB's, Road bikes and cx bikes with and without disc for years this is my thoughts.

disc on MTBs are brillaint hard to imagine riding without them again although did manage for years before they came out.

CX bike with disc, brilliant first got one about 6 years ago before the UCI banned them the first time, really good being able to stop when things get wet and muddy

Road bike with disc, not so sure, Ive got a spare CX bike set up the same as by road bikes except its got disc. I have to say it can be a little scary, 23mm tires just cant handle the power of the disc and if your not real careful you just lock up wheels all the time. On fast wet decents the limiting factor is still the tire grip on the road not the brakes. Yes you wont wear you rims out and they will look nice and shiny for longer but youll gonna kill tires.

this is of course with the current disc brake options, if they actually make a much less powerfull disc or one with more feel then than what out there now it might be ok but its still gonna be the tire/road interface that limits your stopping distance. If your set on hydro i kinda think Magura had the right idea years ago with its road rim hydro brake, it just needed some work and a compatable STI lever.

Artkorat

by Artkorat

Why exactly did we need disk on road bike?

Really having disk on road bike would shave off minutes or seconds during road race? After all we race against time and each other aren't we?

I could see potential need if road bikes were use as commute bikes or touring bike, then going fast was less concern than ride safe. But going fast purpose on road racing bike, I don't see reasons behind going disk at all.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

yourdaguy wrote:Well without adding weight and strength to the seat stay and making the ride harsher or making the left have less spring than the right, you have to mount the brake on the chain stay or add a substantial brace between the seat and chainstay. Due to room considerations between the seat stay and chain stay you can only go so close and 140 is pretty much the limit because you start having to really distort the shape of the seat stay. If you have to do it on the bottom of the chainstay, you end up having a long post reaching down from the axle area of the chainstay in order to get the position correct. I have done many designs in my head of how this would work on a road bike and the only logical place is between the chainstay and seatstay. Why don't you show us a design that would work with a 115mm disc?

And before I forget... stop shifting goalposts to suit your excuses. I said that on paper a 110mm is possible with some changes to the mounting and then you start babbling about NOT radically changing this and that and the shape of stays etc, etc ...

yourdaguy wrote:
Apparently you haven't either. I am saying I have done the thought exercise and I clearly explained it. You are claiming it is easily doable but offer no proof. The ball is in your court to prove me wrong.

In"your head " and on paper are totally different matters. Hypothetical generalizations do not prove anything. If it was ... the whole world's financial problems would have been solved by hypothetical answers sometime ago. Likewise all the malignant diseases and viruses out there routed. NOTE: You're not Einstein working on the General Theory of Relativity.

Ok, I take that challenge but unfortunately, I don't think you can prove yours once I do mine. If you can post yours in a representative scale drawing or equivalent I'll post my CAD model the next moment I read this post (within 24 hours as of this posting). There's nothing to prove on my part cos people who know my day job will understand that I don't bull on such stuff. BTW, I'm a mechanical design engineer by profession, mechanical componentry design is my bread and butter except that I deal mostly with vehicles and robots rather than bicycles.

Want a challenge on this ? You're on! :beerchug:

VNTech

by VNTech

I don't want to challenge you, maxxevv, but I would love to see what mounting solutions you come up with. I'm writing a sort of opinion piece on this very subject right now.
VeloNews Magazine/VeloNews.com tech

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

Looking forward to your design.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

VNTech wrote:I don't want to challenge you, maxxevv, but I would love to see what mounting solutions you come up with. I'm writing a sort of opinion piece on this very subject right now.

Well, I appreciate that. At least you know what you're talking about. :thumbup:

Nothing radical but a slight tweak. We have seen similar mounting solutions on some bike makes already, no big deal. Will post back in 24hrs.

VNTech

by VNTech

maxxevv wrote:
VNTech wrote:I don't want to challenge you, maxxevv, but I would love to see what mounting solutions you come up with. I'm writing a sort of opinion piece on this very subject right now.

Well, I appreciate that. At least you know what you're talking about. :thumbup:

Let's not get carried away :lol: I'm a writer, not an engineer. Those can't do, write, right?
VeloNews Magazine/VeloNews.com tech

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com