Avid Shorty Ultimate Running Wide or Narrow?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

bigskyTi
in the industry

by bigskyTi

just got a set of the ultimates in for the end of the season and wondered if everybody is running the 'wide' arms out stance or 'narrow' arms up stance?

they come set up with the rear in narrow and the front in wide so that is how they are for the moment. any opinions on which works better?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

grover

by grover

that's how i run them.

rear narrow so i don't catch my leg during dismount/remounts. i'd change the rear to narrow if it was terribly muddy but it'd have to be very bad to risk the leg catch...PAIN

front wide because it has better modulation that way. i'd change the front to narrow if i needed more absolute power for a course and could get away with less modulation...but i don't see that ever happening

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

Narrow both ends.

ms6073

by ms6073

When I first got them last season, I initially ran them stock (wide/narrow) but later changed them to narrow/narrow (FYI - requires Torx not hex wrench :D). I use Easton EC90 SLs and from my perspective, brake pads - Zipp Cork in this case - seems to make more difference than the stance of the canti's but YMMV.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

dlight

by dlight

narrow/narrow. With the two muddy race I've done, it was hopeless even if I had been in the wide position.

Privateer

by Privateer

I run mine narrow/narrow.

According to Avid "The Shorty Ultimate is available in a pre-set wide or narrow stance which allows for greater power (narrow) or increased mud clearance (wide)." Apparently the narrow stance is 20% more powerful.

Lennard Zinn has a good review of them here:
http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/10/ ... kes_147049" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And an interesting more general discussion about canti geometry here:
http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/10/ ... der_147730" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

welcomdmat

by welcomdmat

I've got mine narrow/ narrow, but they still feel a bit soft with 7900 levers. I am going to switch out pads, but the Swiss Stop blacks are usually pretty good with alu rims. May try greens.

jmh

by jmh

Narrow/Narrow with Shimano 6700 levers. Changed the pads to Dura Ace R55C3. Much better than the SRAM pads.

simonj

by simonj

Narrow/Narrow for me with 5700 levers.

Stock pads on aluminum rims and they've been fantastic

MileHighMark

by MileHighMark

Anyone compared the Ultimate's power to the Shorty 6's?

I'm building up a 650B-wheeled bike, and will be running canti's with Tektro R200/Cane Creek SCR-5 levers. I'm not concerned about pad/rim clearance, but power/modulation is important.

Thanks.
GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

booyah

by booyah

I recently flipped mine from stock, wide/narrow, to narrow/narrow and am completely happy with them now. I get a bit more braking power and still have good modulation with Campy Chorus levers.

Just make sure you setup the cable lengths correctly, otherwise the brakes will be soft.