Jan Ullrich

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Just about every pro wistfully recalls the glory days. All ancient history now.

synchronicity

by synchronicity

Why not dope them all up to the gills to make things more interesting.
That way at least we know what's going on.
Then you could have TWO types of road racing:

1) An "anything goes" race on any type of bike you want. Image
2) UCI sanctioned events. Image
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

2002SaecoReplica

by 2002SaecoReplica

They have one of those "dope to the gills" races. It's called the Vuelta.
- Zipp rims will break if you look at them too hard
- R-Sys wheels will spontaneously explode
- The ZG crankset will never, ever exist
- Everyone needs Lightweights, even if they're fat and old
- Parts actually made of metal are SO 10 years ago

mrfish

by mrfish

IMHO he should spill the beans and talk frankly about what happened, why he did it and what happened afterwards so that others learn from it so that we can avoid it in future. Pretending it didn't happen doesn't help anyone.

I do think that riders who fully disclose those doctors, soigneurs and others who helped them to dope should receive a much reduced doping sentence. Yes they are dopers and cheats, but on the other hand if doctors and others know that they will also get caught, lose their medical licence and possibly go to jail then the sources of the drugs will be much reduced.

Until he talks frankly I don't have any time for him or any sponsor which supports his efforts at rehabilitation. Surprised nobody tells him this when he appears at various sportifs.

J-Nice

by J-Nice

mrfish wrote:Until he [Ullrich] talks frankly I don't have any time for him or any sponsor which supports his efforts at rehabilitation. Surprised nobody tells him this when he appears at various sportifs.

Good post. It seems that Ullrich may make an announcement about this subject soon after his court verdict is announced. Even though his agent makes the typical cryptic and vague comment about what he may say, one would think that Jan himself spoke to him about it.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ullrich ... confession" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I hate to bring Armstrong into this, but we can sweep things under the rug and pretend the past is the past. But I for one would like to know how Lance became a seven-time Tour champion. The recent potential Federal charges he may be facing in the near future will undoubtedly shed light into his program, which even for a doper was the best, most efficient and highly successful cycling has ever seen.

We can then put to rest all the myth-making about how he was the hardest working, most focused and most talented Tour rider that ever lived and get to the actual concrete details of how he achieved his success. This will shed light into the dark shadow world that doctors like Ferrari and Fuentes operate under.

We got a glimpse of it when Tyler Hamilton's doping diaries were released to the public. Was I the only one shocked at the amount of PED's he ingested? It's details like this that really make one shake his head in disgust. I cannot imagine what it must be like riding aginst guys like that clean. It is simply impossible. If this is what it took for Hamilton to garner the success he achieved, what does that say about others who fall under the umbrella of suspicion who won more prestigious races than he did?
Check out the latest controversies in sport-

http://berzin.blogspot.com/

OJ

by OJ

I don't know how some fans managed to keep their faith in clean professional cycling after 1998. Or even before 1998 it was pretty obvious that dope was a huge part of pro cycling. Don't get me wrong, I'm against doping but I don't think Ullrich should talk...his old rivals are highly unlikely to talk anytime soon.
http://demarere.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

micky

by micky

It seems today or tomorrow Jan himself should have a conference.

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Very curious about this. Can anyone provide a link to the latest news/press conference Jan will have?

Was always a great admirer of the Kaiser (and of course a Pantani fan, to come "clean" about that era).
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Partial decision........final decision in approx 6 weeks.......ridiculous or what......

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cas-issues-partial-decision-on-ullrich-and-doesnt-rule-on-uci-case

I'm not sure if he'll have much to say at the moment.

Bethelcat

by Bethelcat

What really doesn't make sense to me is why Ullrich's ban for past misdemeanours starts from the present day, while Contador's ban is mostly served retrospectively

denzity

by denzity

Bethelcat wrote:What really doesn't make sense to me is why Ullrich's ban for past misdemeanours starts from the present day, while Contador's ban is mostly served retrospectively

He doesn't currently have a team with a load of money to ensure that CAS officials get 'treated properly'.

micky

by micky

As it seems no one mentioned, Big Jan might come back to pro cycling as advisor for a new german team.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

What type of advice will Ullrich be giving?

In his motivational speech to the new team he is advising, Ullrich wrote:That son of a bitch Armstrong was doping way more than me and never got caught, and then he retired, and Basso and me were dumb ****s and got caught. And now I live in a van down by the river. Why, why, why didn't I pay off those officials? Stupid, stupid, stupid. Now let's get out there and make some serious pay offs. Let's go!!!!

Bethelcat

by Bethelcat

micky wrote:As it seems no one mentioned, Big Jan might come back to pro cycling as advisor for a new german team.

I didn't think Riis had served a ban as a team manager for his misdemeanor...

micky

by micky

The advisor part might just be an excuse for get Ullrich part of the team cause by what I understood he is already a sort of PR for the main sponsor and cause this german based team would actually have no big german rider (as they are under contract with others).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com