Light stem suggestions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mythical

by mythical

The Extralite stem is just about the lightest stem for Ø31.8 bars and has been around for many years. All others, no matter how light, are still heavier. Many have used it and keep on using it so I guess it's more than adequate. I think all the lighter stems are carbon and for Ø26.0 handlebars. I know of one stem for Ø31.8 bars weighing about 80g for 130mm but it's not in production yet.
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mythical

by mythical

“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

elviento

by elviento

I said "assuming you are in the 120g range (for 120mm)". It's actually hard to get much below 110g for a size 120, especially not cheap which was what the OP wanted.

The Uno is still around 110g. 10g reduction. It's just a matter of shaving materials. Not much material science or engineering involved.

prendrefeu wrote:
elviento wrote:The stem should be probably one of the last items to save weight.

I disagree here. It really depends on the rider.

A 100kg bloke that's a sprinter? Maybe needs an ultra-stiff, heavy-ass stem, sure. Maybe first that person should focus on losing a little weight elsewhere to start. :wink:
A 65kg climber? Does not need a ridiculously stiff, heavy stem. An UNO will actually be quite stiff enough for their needs and I doubt they would be noticing any flex at the stem.

That PRO/CAV stem? It was designed for sprinters. Besides, Bontrager, ZIPP, and even the 'generic' carbon stems are probably just as stiff as your PRO/CAV stem yet lighter than your PRO/CAV stem. They aren't light enough for true weight weenies though. :|

Last item to save weight: Saddle. But many of us are willing to experiment to a new shape for the sake of weight. :twisted:
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

God I'm useless, I forgot to add that I'm currently riding a 110m FSA OS115 with carbon faceplate from 2009.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

mythical wrote:The Extralite stem is just about the lightest stem for Ø31.8 bars and has been around for many years. All others, no matter how light, are still heavier. Many have used it and keep on using it so I guess it's more than adequate. I think all the lighter stems are carbon and for Ø26.0 handlebars. I know of one stem for Ø31.8 bars weighing about 80g for 130mm but it's not in production yet.

:thumbup: Another one of your machining amazements? Do show and tell!

89daytona

by 89daytona

Cannondale Fire stem. Cant remember the weight on my 120mm, but my old 100mm was 99g(with light bolts).
Not bad for a stem that sells for $20 something US shipped on ebay.
@racecarbrian

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

I have tried many different stems. The extralite is by far the best. New Ultimate is my second choice. My advice is buy the extralite first and be done with it!

Liggero

by Liggero

UNO stem from ebay. 17€ shipped. Get a ti bolt kit for them an it will weight 89g in 90x31.8mm

Best stem ever. You can remove the logos with acetone.
Happy Trails !!!