Cyclocrossworld Project Lightbike.

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

limba

by limba

http://www.cyclocrossworld.com/Cyclocro ... _b_85.html

Some interesting info in there or it might start a discussion on the specs.

voodoojar

by voodoojar

I really think it's dumb when companies build these claimed WW bikes. All that looks like to me is a advertisement for a bunch of parts they sell. Seriously a Sram Red crankset and chainrings is the best they could do for lightweight parts. This should be called "Project Advertise a Bunch of Stuff."

I guess what makes me mad is they are trying to turn a decently cool sales tool into some kind of fake "WW project."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

limba

by limba

Well, they say this is the lightest stuff they would feel comfortable racing.

rockdude

by rockdude

I am sorry guys, unless you have very deep pockets and don't mind DNF, WW CX part are stupid on a Race bike. You might get away with it for a little while but it will get you at some point. I race over 35 races a year on my CX bike and break plenty of non-WW items. I am not a hater in WW CX bikes and if you build a WW CX for fun, that's cool. But if you race and think its going to make a difference in you getting on the podium you are living in a dream world.
2 Serotta's, 1 Spectrum, 1 Van Dessel, 1 Parlee & 1 Carl Strong, & 1 Titus.

xcfisher

by xcfisher

if you race and think its going to make a difference in you getting on the podium you are living in a dream world.

Well, if your talking about putting an A/X lightness seatpost and a THM crankset on your bike that may be another thing. If you talking about the difference between a 105 bike with cheap tubular wheels vs. a Red bike with a set of Zipp 303's I'm going to strongly disagree. I too race 30+ CX races per year, and I feel every lap. Lifting a bike that weighs 5 lbs less over multiple sets of barriers and through slop makes a huge difference. 50 minutes in I can feel e-v-e-r-y gram, and I'm sure any elite racer would agree.

rockdude

by rockdude

xcfisher wrote:
if you race and think its going to make a difference in you getting on the podium you are living in a dream world.

Well, if your talking about putting an A/X lightness seatpost and a THM crankset on your bike that may be another thing. If you talking about the difference between a 105 bike with cheap tubular wheels vs. a Red bike with a set of Zipp 303's I'm going to strongly disagree. I too race 30+ CX races per year, and I feel every lap. Lifting a bike that weighs 5 lbs less over multiple sets of barriers and through slop makes a huge difference. 50 minutes in I can feel e-v-e-r-y gram, and I'm sure any elite racer would agree.

I don't think 5 pounds is going to put you on or keep you off the Podium. You either have the skills and power or not. Inside 2.5 or 3 pounds, your not going to tell much of a difference in the bike weight when racing at full speed. If a person wants to go WW on a CX bike and they have the money to buy replacements, I would say pick wheels. I ride light carbon wheels but I have 5-6 set glued and ready to go when I break a pair.
2 Serotta's, 1 Spectrum, 1 Van Dessel, 1 Parlee & 1 Carl Strong, & 1 Titus.

xcfisher

by xcfisher

I don't think 5 pounds is going to put you on or keep you off the Podium.

Really? I think we should create a poll on this one! And you think having 5-6 pairs of carbon tubular wheels is not in the same realm of spending a lot of money on light parts? To be fair, there are plenty of weight conscious parts that I would trust over cheap parts. I think that is where the confusion is...

dlight

by dlight

I don't have ww parts and they still break. I can't imagine putting out the money to get ww parts and not finish a race.

As for the cyclocrossworld site. That was kinda dumb since most of the alternative was heavier but it's just what their racers are maybe using. I thought it is a weak attempt at marketing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com