Light stem suggestions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

So I know of the Extralite but what others around the same weight are there? I love their stems but they're rather on the pricey side. I need something in a 31.8mm clamp otherwise I would consider the Syntace 99 stem which is pretty snazzy.

Cheers in advance for suggestions or for any links to other threads.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

toutenhoofd
Shop Owner

by toutenhoofd

I love my ExtraLite stem. The older ones with hex heads would strip pretty easily, but the newer ones with Torx heads are great. I also like the New Ultimate stems.
www.cyclingtechnology.com
(NOTE: This poster owns a retail business selling weight conscious bike related products.)

CarpetFibre

by CarpetFibre

Can't think of many super-light stems in oversize clamp. The Zipp SL speed is at 102g claimed but the availability of it is questionable...
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=60478

Home:Ballyhoura

by Home:Ballyhoura

Excellent price for a fairly light stem, I'm guessing strong and reliable too:
Ritchey WCS C260
http://www.bike-components.de/products/ ... 2012-.html

pierre-san

by pierre-san

KCNC

elviento

by elviento

My view is not focus too much on stem weight.

Here is why:

1. We all know stem isn't a great place to go carbon. My Cav Pro is 208g. So alloy it is.

2. But there really hasn't been any major breakthrough in alloy technology. All the super light stems basically shave the sh*t out of the aluminum. Ritchey's new design is clever but seems to weigh the same as prev ones.

My 120mm Deda Zero is only 12X grams. I am not aware of many 120mm stems on the market below 105g. Especially since you are not prepared to spend an arm and leg on it.

Frankly, assuming you are already in the 120g range which is pretty easy to achieve, the stem should be probably one of the last items to save weight.
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal

roshea

by roshea

I haven't seen any reviews on them, but the latest range of Uno stems are pretty light (from mid-80 grams). They're also very cheap (eg. under $US30 for 110 grams @ 100 mm) on eBay.

Manufacturer's pages:
http://kalloyuno.com/products/grade3.0-2-3.html
http://www.kalloyuno.com/products/grade2.0_2.html

Older thread:
viewtopic.php?t=56251

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

More information about the UNO stems in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=94743
and here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=94591&p=807853&hilit=uno+stem#p807853

I recommend them. :thumbup:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

elviento wrote:The stem should be probably one of the last items to save weight.

I disagree here. It really depends on the rider.

A 100kg bloke that's a sprinter? Maybe needs an ultra-stiff, heavy-ass stem, sure. Maybe first that person should focus on losing a little weight elsewhere to start. :wink:
A 65kg climber? Does not need a ridiculously stiff, heavy stem. An UNO will actually be quite stiff enough for their needs and I doubt they would be noticing any flex at the stem.

That PRO/CAV stem? It was designed for sprinters. Besides, Bontrager, ZIPP, and even the 'generic' carbon stems are probably just as stiff as your PRO/CAV stem yet lighter than your PRO/CAV stem. They aren't light enough for true weight weenies though. :|

Last item to save weight: Saddle. But many of us are willing to experiment to a new shape for the sake of weight. :twisted:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

andrewryangibson

by andrewryangibson

Fsa os-99 is 100 grams and really nice and strong....using on my carbon tallboy xc race bike. You can find these on eBay with patience for under $50.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Yeah I'm about 5'6 and weight 69kg, and not a climber, if anything I should be putting on weight to be honest

doozer

by doozer

deda zero and replace all 6 bolts with ti. Voila! deda zero service course for a fraction of the price :mrgreen:
Dance you cares away, worries for another day, dance your cares away, down at fragglerock.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

The only thing in the same range as the extralite is the Ax stem and really a little pricy and totally F'n ugly.. There is only one stem and if you keep your peepers pealed on eBay you shoud be able to nab one for a good price... I've seen em go for as little as $120...

There is only one :thumbup:

artray

by artray

This is a very light stem,,,, Ratio Ineo Road Alloy,,,i got it weighed before i bought it ,it weighed 117grms /120 mm ,thats with steel bolts which ive replaced with ti , thus losing around another 10grms making a end weight of around 107grms for a 120 ,,thats pretty good and it cost less than £40

andylav

by andylav

Ritchey WCS in 120 mm length with 31.8 clamp weighs an actual 116 grammes (verified on three different stems).

Light, reliable and readily available at discounted prices - graphics can be easily removed with cellulose thinners for a stealth look as well.

I don't think there is much out there that is significantly lighter without being considerably more expensive

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com