Cx disc experience

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

xcforme

by xcforme

Has anyone tried/raced cyclocross with disc-brakes? Mechanic or hydraulic? How do you like it?

In my opinion, disc brakes in 'cross won't be a serious option until a good solution to fit hydraulic brakes reaches the market. That, or a better/lighter mechanic disc brake than Avid bb7.

This Hope creation looks promising, but i'm not sure if that thin little steel plate will keep it in place.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/photos/eurobike-2011-disc-brakes-for-cyclo-cross-taking-off/190105

I will greatly appreciate spy-shots of cx-pros experimenting with disc brakes for the 2011-12 season :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

I'm trying my luck on a loaned cross bike this winter. And I was wondering if any of you, who are already at the forefront of advantages, has already tried this. Specialized offers one of their crux models with Avid bb7 discs. IIRC those discs were pretty much the standard of cable actuated discs back in the day.

What are your opinions about discs and cross?
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

euan

by euan

They are good, on a wet muddy course you have consistant braking from one lap to the next. Course permitting you can brake at the same place on every lap where others are braking early to clear the mud from their rims. I only have a BB7 on the front and feel that a canti usually is still on I need on the read.

I think we need to see more disc specific frames that are properly making use of the 135mm rear spacing and lack of canti mounts to increase the clearances on frames. Today what was holding me back was a buildup of thick mud and autumn leaves, not my braking.

brearley

by brearley

I'm currently doing a dissertation on hydraulic disc brakes for cross because quite frankly what is out there at the moment in terms of mechanical to hydraulic actuators are rubbish, bulky garish looking things which not a lot of people like the look of.

will try and keep you updated on what the outcome is, will be building a fully working prototype but it won't be ready till march next year unfortunately

vcnz

by vcnz

brearley wrote:...what is out there at the moment in terms of mechanical to hydraulic actuators are rubbish

+1

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

It is easy to +1. What about cable actuated discs like on the crux apex?

Sent from my HTC.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

brearley

by brearley

At the moment yes cable operated discs are the current high standard set as they were when disc first came about in mountainbiking
as standards improve any marginal gains need to be taken, that's why we now have hydraulic brakes which are arguably far and above the highest standards mechanical discs such as BB7. The best mechanical to hydraulic actuator currently on the market is the offering from hope which is slightly smaller and better looking, this still has 4 cables entering and exiting from the system. What I am proposing is a fully integrated system, as I am only at the research stage of my dissertation I have a lot more to look into and problems with both cantilever and mechanical disc brakes which may be resolved by a hydraulic system

vcnz

by vcnz

Frankie - B wrote:It is easy to +1. What about cable actuated discs like on the crux apex?

Sent from my HTC.

I saw hydraulic brakes on cx bikes at Bike Motion Benelux, they are horrible.
UCI rules changed but looking at what the market offers it's like we are in the prehistoric age

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com