Any experience with Easton EC90 SL Stem and EC90 SLX3 bars?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mjdwyer23

by mjdwyer23

Hey Folks-
Looking to put together bar and stem combo for my next build, and I can get these for a pretty good price. Does anyone here have experience with them? Thanks for the help!
MD

Tonypgst

by Tonypgst

The bars are what works for me. I classic smooth curve of the drop and the reach measurements are perfect for me. To change bars would require me to change stems. I even used the bars for my custom integrated bar/stem combo. As they work so well for me, I doubt I'll try to use anything else....unless I was going super light.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dmp

by dmp

I use a Deda aluminum stem, but the EC90 SLX3 bars are fantastic. The shape is just perfect as far as I'm concerned and work particularly well with Campy levers. If I remember correctly the bars weighed in right around 200g, maybe a bit less. They're very comfortable on rough roads, too.

Getter

by Getter

I have the SLX3 too. Been using them for over two years now with no issues. I really like flat bar to shifter (Sram) transition. The reach and drop suits me really well.

Just be careful when clamping the bar to the stem. Some stems will leave "bite marks" on the clamp area.

Rick

by Rick

Another happy SLX3 user.
They are shallow and short, so you need to take that into consideration in stem and spacer selection.

Just be careful when clamping the bar to the stem. Some stems will leave "bite marks" on the clamp area.

In another thread, I wrote about how I had this problem with a 3T stem. The clamp area was not truly round, so I honed it out slightly using fine sandpaper wrapped over a 31.6 seatpost scrap. Worked perfectl;, no bite marks

oreoboreo

by oreoboreo

I have them on both bikes...and love them
Let's finish the ride with a 20% grade.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black
2012 Scott CR1 Pro Ultegra 6700
2015 Specialized SWorks Tarmac Da 9000
2016 Specialized SWorks Tarmac DA 9100

mjdwyer23

by mjdwyer23

Great feedback, thanks a lot. Looks like my bar choice is made! I can get the stem for a pretty good price, is there a better alternative?
MD

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I am a fan of both. Great parts. Good quality. And the handlebar shape is perfect for me... in the "traditional" round bend. I'm not a fan of the ergo bend at all.

mjdwyer23

by mjdwyer23

Cool, thanks. I'm going to be ordering the stem and bars, can't wait!
MD

worstshotever

by worstshotever

How flexy or not (relative to say 3T or Zipp's comparable offerings) have people found the SLX3? I'm putting together the cockpit on my next build as well....

em3

by em3

I have used both the stem and bars. Stem is stiff and the overbite clamping mechanism makes for consistent clamping force on the carbon bars (albeit I ended up with a Ritchey carbon stem in the end). Also, unlike stems like 3t and Deda which I have found to have clamps that are not perfectly round (thus deforming bars) the Easton stems are perfectly round. The bars are also stiff and the round curve with slightly longer hooks is perfect for my setup. The flat top also works well with Campy hoods and yields a very nice flat transition from bars to hoods. Be careful not to over clamp your carbon bars, 3.5-4 Nm torque should do the tricking most cases.
EM3

mjdwyer23

by mjdwyer23

Order placed. Thanks for the help!
MD

Mike S.

by Mike S.

Just to add what I found about Easton as I researched their product line:

EC = Easton Carbon

EA = Easton Aluminum

Also, unlike many manufacturers, they were pretty easy to reach and deal with on the phone.

Rick

by Rick

Easton has top-notch customer relations and stands by their warranties fully.
I am a big Easton fan since dealing with a warranty replacement. I would buy anything they make with confidence.

jmsp

by jmsp

I've been very happy with the EA90 stem and EC90 SLX3 handlebar combo, witch is light, stiff, but also very comfortable.
Yesterday, while cleaning my bike, and paying more attention to some details, I could see an horizontal "line" that goes trough the back of the bar, that I didn't ever notice!
I can't see any sign of a crack in the clear coat of the bar, even if I pass my finger trough it, I can't feel anything wrong.
The stem has been torqued with a torque key by my LBS.
I don't know if it as always been there and if it is normal and just a finish issue, or if it appeared recently, and if it is safe to ride it.
After close and carefully inspection, to me it seems to be just a finishing issue, just the way the carbon layers were "mounted" but I'll appreciate a feedback on this issue, especially to know if it is normal and safe to ride it or if I should stop using it.
Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com