Challenge Grifo clincher - which way?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

liam7020

by liam7020

Coming from a road background I automatically fitted my Challenge Grifo open clinchers with the manufacturer's logo on the driveside of the bike. HOWEVER I've just seen close-up photos of the bikes of Jonathan Page and Gabby Day which seemed to show the tread pattern running in the opposite direction to mine. Now I know that they're using Grifo tubs but the tread pattern's the same as the clincher. Have I fitted my tires the wrong way round?!!! Seems strange to put the logo on the non-drive side? Anybody any ideas? Thanks.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

BackRoadsBiker

by BackRoadsBiker

Just switch them around depending on course conditions; arrows pointing forward for speed and arrows backward for a bit better grip under acceleration.

After a couple of laps, the mud will have covered the logos anyway :D
This board and the world in general would be a much nicer place if everyone could just take themselves a little less seriously.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

liam7020

by liam7020

BackRoadsBiker wrote:Just switch them around depending on course conditions; arrows pointing forward for speed and arrows backward for a bit better grip under acceleration.

After a couple of laps, the mud will have covered the logos anyway :D

Thanks for your reply. Not worried about the logo as such, more about keeping upright! So are you saying they're designed to be used either way? Ta.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

challenge
in the industry

by challenge

Hi Liam,

Thanks fist of all four purchasing our products and no you have not mounted the Grifo the wrong way round.
Both tubulars and clinchers can be mounted both ways and this is to change a bit the way the work.

The Grifo pattern allows you to have a faster tire but a bit less grip or more grip therefore more rolling resistance.
This depends on the surface you find and how you want to feel your bike. You may also mount the front with the arrow forward and
the rear with the arrow backwards.

The front is more easy to change as you just flip you wheel around the back is more complicated.

The arrow forward tends to give you a faster tire more suitable for hard pack while the arrow pointing backwards
gives you more traction.

You can find this also on the new Limus and on our Facebook page there is further information on this.

Latex tubes we have had to stop supply in the aftermarket due to increase of our tubular production. Qe are implementing the production
so will be back in the market but will be for next season. Sorry about this.

If you have any further question let me know and will be happy to answer them.

Thanks again and have fun on the cross fields.

Alex :beerchug:

BackRoadsBiker

by BackRoadsBiker

^^^The type of post that brings us back to WW.
This board and the world in general would be a much nicer place if everyone could just take themselves a little less seriously.