Rapha Pro Team or Castelli Espresso Due Jacket

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

ianeverton

by ianeverton

Right I am down to these two (Rapha Pro Team or Castelli Espresso Due Jacket) for my new winter jacket.

All input and help gratefully received please.

Thanks,
Ian

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gwilliams

by gwilliams

I've just rec'd the Rapha Pro team jkt-very well finished and fills a gap between long sleeve jersey and soft shell jkt.

limba

by limba

What he said. I own Rapha's Winter longsleeve and Classic Softshell. They're both great. The ProTeam would fit right in between them warmth wise. I'm sure the Castelli is an excellent jacket but I would go with Rapha just based on my history with their other products.

ianeverton

by ianeverton

I am unsure of which to go for to be honest, at first it was definitely the Rapha as have some other Rapha items and they are great, however I saw the Castelli and tried it on and it fits perfectly, has more vents and pockets so may be more practicable.

It is the same as all things in cycling, everybody has their own thoughts and opinions so asking on forums sometimes makes the decision more difficult.

Thanks for your input guys.

gwilliams

by gwilliams

Buy both, ebay the one you prefer the least.

NS

by NS

I just got the pro team jacket. It is not a winter jacket. It's just right at the moment 12 degrees or so any colder and you will be lookin at long sleeve jerseys under it and warm base layers. Get a soft shell if you don't already have one. It's the best winter jacket by a long way

CarlTroy

by CarlTroy

I just got the Espresso Due....boy is it comfy and nice...and warm too. Can't go wrong with it :thumbup:

mr_tim

by mr_tim

Had the Espresso for a couple of winter seasons.

The seams in a couple of areas opened up after a week or two. Not very well finished ime & a joke given the full ticket price. It was fixable but not something I was expecting to experience.

The venting is good though.

I've always found the pockets awkwardly small / shallow & struggle to get a lightweight rain jkt into a rear pocket. Very shallow pockets means also so its more for a co2 approach to air vs. a jersey pocket sized pump as you don't have the depth to get a pump stowed away.

sungod

by sungod

mr_tim wrote:Had the Espresso for a couple of winter seasons.

The seams in a couple of areas opened up after a week or two. Not very well finished ime & a joke given the full ticket price. It was fixable but not something I was expecting to experience.

The venting is good though.

I've always found the pockets awkwardly small / shallow & struggle to get a lightweight rain jkt into a rear pocket. Very shallow pockets means also so its more for a co2 approach to air vs. a jersey pocket sized pump as you don't have the depth to get a pump stowed away.

i thought the espresso due was a new model?

this description of the pockets doessn't match mine, which has plenty of room for pump etc., maybe the one you're talking about is an older jacket

imho castelli had some qa problems a couple of years ago, i've got some mitts from then that unravelled fast, but since 2010 they seem to have fixed their manufacturing

can't comment on the rapha, but the espresso due is lovely

krzysiekmz

by krzysiekmz

Any more thaughts on the Castelli Espresso Due jacket?

I am also looking at Endura Windchill as it is supposed to be great at much better pricepoint.

Anyone used both?

Chris.
Orbea Oiz - xxxx
MSC Koncept Carbon Di2 - 6955g
Leichtkraft Team Carbon - 6868g.

itsacarr

by itsacarr

Can't go wrong with the Castelli. The newest release of the Esperesso was new last year I think? It has been updated a bit this year from what I am aware. Either way - solid winter jacket.
Just ride ..

nismosr

by nismosr

I just received my rapha winter jersey and took it for a ride at 32 degrees with craft zero baselayer. first 30 minutes was a little cold but once you get going it's toasty. the quality of Rapha too is nothing compare to one of my $200 plus castelli jacket.
2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2022 Ridley Kanzo Adv Rival/GX AXS-Zipp 303s
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2022 Basso Palta 2-Rival/GX AXS-Zipp 303s
2023 Colnagno G3X-SRAM Force-Levante

HillRPete

by HillRPete

nismosr wrote:the quality of Rapha too is nothing compare to one of my $200 plus castelli jacket.

Huh, which is the good one?

krzysiekmz

by krzysiekmz

What size of Castelli are you guys wearing?

I fall between M and L. Preety sure the sleeves will be way too long if I go with the Large. I have a 39inch chest and would like it to be semi-fitted.

Chris.
Orbea Oiz - xxxx
MSC Koncept Carbon Di2 - 6955g
Leichtkraft Team Carbon - 6868g.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

konky

by konky

Surely this type of jacket is only useful in really cold weather or on easy rides. The minute you push it you get the boil in the bag problem. I bought an Assos 851 jacket but have found I only ever use it on my 20 minute commute.

I find a warm long sleeve jersey and solid wind/rain proof gillet the best combination. When it's really cold I'll also wear a base layer. If there's any chance of rain I'll stick a lightweight rain jacket in a back pocket.