Specialized Venge or Tarmac

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Derekc

by Derekc

Specialized Venge, or Tarmac SL4 / SL3? What do you think...?
Never Quit

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Derekc wrote:Specialized Venge, or Tarmac SL4 / SL3? What do you think...?

Could you be a little less vague?
What type of rider are you? Where are you riding? What do you plan on using this bike for?

What you asked is sorta like asking some random person just come back from grocery shopping in a parking lot: "What color tie should I wear next Tuesday evening?"
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Derekc

by Derekc

I'm a lightweight but I do better in crits, just wanted to see what other people had to say about the strengths and weaknesses of both of the bikes. Any ideas on it?
Never Quit

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

Derekc wrote:I'm a lightweight but I do better in crits, just wanted to see what other people had to say about the strengths and weaknesses of both of the bikes. Any ideas on it?

All been said before, but SL4 is a climbers bike that goes up superbly, also descends on rails and very good at tapping out tempo / cadence on a ride. It is in my opinion one of the best bang for buck bikes out there as it does everything very well. However, if it is pitched in anyway, it is a GT bike that makes climbing easier. I have an SL3 and the one thing I always note post ride is that it is simply easy to ride - effortless I suppose.

The Venge is a bike for the bigger rider in the sense someone who might push 53 - 11 or 12, riders who like to ride out front, break away and ride full gas, keeping the hammer down. It is better on the flat than the Tarmac, but the Tarmac smokes it in the hills, though it still climbs well. Would suggest that the bike rides akin to a Cervelo S2 / S3 in the way it delivers power to the BB.

I suspect you could ride and enjoy either bike, but more so look at your local terrain and work out which bikes suit you. Maybe both do ?

Oddly enough, I have a Venge due at the end of the month I will be writing a full report on it but thats likely not until Spring, weather pending.

Anyway, hope this helps. As I said, nothing new in what I have written here, but glad to write it.

Diego.

GZA

by GZA

If you're a sprinter or rouleur, go for the Venge, otherwise, the Tarmac.

Derekc

by Derekc

Sounds like the Venge is my type, for the crit breakaways. Good to hear about that review coming.
Never Quit

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

Derekc wrote:Sounds like the Venge is my type, for the crit breakaways. Good to hear about that review coming.

Cool, that was easy :D

Yes, I will post my feelings once built, but at the moment, its pending delivery date, weather and funds. But all being well its just a matter of time. :D

Derekc

by Derekc

Too bad the Venge Pro frame is just as much as the SL4 S-Works frame. Can't wait to find one to test ride. :)
Never Quit

KWalker

by KWalker

The Venge is stupid IMO

Its less laterally stiff, has a more harsh ride, and the aero benefits can be completely negated by even a slightly suboptimal fit.

buy the Tarmac and use the rest of the cash to get some aero wheels.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

I agree with KWalker.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

kgt

by kgt

+1.
If you're not fast enough on a SL4 it's not the frame's fault.

KWalker

by KWalker

The Venge won't help your breakaways, riding smarter will.

Personal rant: I love hearing people who go in breaks talk about how aero this and that will help because they're not in the pack blah blah blah. What helps is actually riding smarter, a stroke of luck by getting in the right move at the right time, and developing the power to actually ride away from your competition.

The chainstay design on the Venge is its biggest undoing I feel. The only people that seem to care enough to buy them are the ones that don't actually seem to race.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

KWalker wrote:The chainstay design on the Venge is its biggest undoing I feel

what about the chainstays?
just curious

KWalker

by KWalker

i don't think i can comment on that, but if that in one way affects the gripes I had above then sure thing. I just don't see the advantages of this frame for the above stated reasons regardless of rear end design features. You're just buying a reduction in drag that you can't actually prove does anything for you unless you already have an efficient position on the bike. I guess if your position is the best that it can possibly be in terms of efficiency and comfort then sure, but even people that fork over cash for professional fits rarely end up this way.

I would ride a Venge if given one for free, but if I'm paying I will let the lawyers/dentists/rich dudes that commute on tubbies and don't actually race buy them. I'd rather be on something that is stiffer and more comfortable and save the change for shit that will make a difference in my training or race-day prep, such as a PM or wheels.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

KWalker wrote:i don't think i can comment on that, but if that in one way affects the gripes I had above then sure thing. I just don't see the advantages of this frame for the above stated reasons regardless of rear end design features. You're just buying a reduction in drag that you can't actually prove does anything for you unless you already have an efficient position on the bike. I guess if your position is the best that it can possibly be in terms of efficiency and comfort then sure, but even people that fork over cash for professional fits rarely end up this way.

I would ride a Venge if given one for free, but if I'm paying I will let the lawyers/dentists/rich dudes that commute on tubbies and don't actually race buy them. I'd rather be on something that is stiffer and more comfortable and save the change for shit that will make a difference in my training or race-day prep, such as a PM or wheels.

You sound angry at the fact others enjoy the bike. Who gives a *f##k* who buys the machine? I'm far from being a dentist or rich but I'm hoping to get one and then I'll feed back on the bike - the opinions I've laboured are just the reviews I've read and seen (peleton magazine) etc, and I don't race, I just love bikes of all types. I'm sure many other people do. If it's shit I'll move it on but I suspect it's very good.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com