Campy Electric is here!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

GeaerGrimsrud

by GeaerGrimsrud

prendrefeu wrote:I really, really enjoy passing a rider with a blinged out rig on the local climbs out here like they are standing still.

I don't know what my exact bike snobbery threshold is (carbon tubulars on training rides, weight weenie bike+fat rider, electronic shifters, etc.) but envy is an ugly sentiment.

kgt

by kgt

Sorry but quotes like 'I really, really enjoy passing a rider with a blinged out rig on the local climbs out here like they are standing still' are just proofs of an inferiority complex. Nothing less, nothing more.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Danton

by Danton

kgt wrote:Not a fan of electric bike transmission but I now have more reasons to be a Campagnolo fan.
EPS: 11 cogs, lighter, faster and way more beautiful than Di2.

Same here.

Electric shifting feels like electric windows on a car. Nice to have but not necessary for high performance. It is heavier too.

We will have to see the time trial version with multiple switches on the bars. This is where electronic shifting is good, when you can change gears with your hands in different places on the bars, to only a move one finger a touch when on the extensions.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

kgt wrote:Sorry but quotes like 'I really, really enjoy passing a rider with a blinged out rig on the local climbs out here like they are standing still' are just proofs of an inferiority complex. Nothing less, nothing more.

Excuse me?

I wrote that as a follow up to the previous statement: arguing about all this shit is getting really hilarious. Some people are more concerned about what they're riding than actually riding. People are arguing over Di2 vs. Campagnolo Electric vs whatever. It's getting ridiculous. It's reminiscent of little boys in the 80's arguing which is better to drive: a Lamorghini Countach, a Porsche 959 or a Ferrari 308. Then they actually learn how to drive, realize that those cars aren't really worth the bother and just drive whatever they've got quite well and all that arguing was really just avoiding the fact that they couldn't even drive. So what if they jump into a Countach, they'll still be out driven by someone who can actually drive.

Gent1: "Well, I chose Di2 because it's the latest tech." (climbing along side Gent2)
Gent2: "Campagnolo has a superior product in every way, and it shifts faster than Di2" (slowly fading back)

Gent3: "Look guys, I'm riding my SRAM Apex group on an 80's steel frame. I've been waiting for you at the top of this climb for 20 minutes I'm going to head back home. See you in a few hours when you get there." (sent via SMS)

Most of you are adults here. I'm assuming most of you know how to ride a bike.
Does it work for you? Great. Now go ride your damn bike and become a better cyclist.

Equipment doesn't make you a better cyclist. Riding your bike and training well does make you a better cyclist.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

morrisond

by morrisond

Last time I checked this was a website to talk about Bike Parts, if that is your belief, what are you doing on here? Please stop interrupting fun discussions on new bike tech.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

I'm interested in bike parts. See the previous post:

prendrefeu wrote:Di2 shifting is very slow compared to analog. They're claiming that their [Campagnolo's] electronic is faster than analog.

I'd like to see that claim backed up with some testing, since analog is virtually 0.000 seconds by the simple concept of: once you pull on a cable, that cable is pulling on something and mechanical system are direct actions, not delayed.

It's the point where people are more concentrating on the tech than the riding that's the funny part. On one hand it's fun to see marketing work so exceptionally well. On the other hand, it's quite sad.

solarider

by solarider

Campagnolo rarely release something new and they have been working on this one for over 20 years.

If something that unusual that has taken that long to develop by one of the oldest companies in cycling can't generate a bit of interest on a forum intended to discuss bike parts afterall, what is the world coming to?!

If talking bike parts upsets you, firstly don't read it, and secondly don't waste the time that you would clearly be rather spending riding your 80's steel bike with Apex in typing a response and leave the forum free for people who want to be here.

It's not about discussing instead of riding. Unless you ride 24 hours a day, there must be a little down time in everybody's life for a bit of fat arsed forum surfing and harmless conversation. Personally I have room in my life for both. It is currently dark, raining and 9.20 at night. Let me reassure you, I am not typing this instead of riding!

You are right, most of us are adults on here. That means most of us have jobs, and if we want to spend a bit of our hard earned cash on some Italian electronic frivolity, that's our choice surely?

Enjoy riding, enjoy chatting and spread a little love to fellow cyclists. As my mum used to say, if you haven't got anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

morrisond

by morrisond

Exactly and that is what Electric has the potential to do. As it appears Campy is programmable it shouldn't be too long before someone figures out how to make it sequential thorugh all the gears like the Fairwheel Di2 system and shift a lot faster than stock or any mechanical system improving the cycling experience.

sastre

by sastre

two decades to arrive and it still looks butt ugly

:lol:
Full steam we go against the odds
Headfirst we go against the grain
Against the odds, against the grain
We go against the odds, against the grain

toofine

by toofine

prendrefeu wrote:
kgt wrote:Sorry but quotes like 'I really, really enjoy passing a rider with a blinged out rig on the local climbs out here like they are standing still' are just proofs of an inferiority complex. Nothing less, nothing more.

Excuse me?

I wrote that as a follow up to the previous statement: arguing about all this shit is getting really hilarious. Some people are more concerned about what they're riding than actually riding. People are arguing over Di2 vs. Campagnolo Electric vs whatever. It's getting ridiculous. It's reminiscent of little boys in the 80's arguing which is better to drive: a Lamorghini Countach, a Porsche 959 or a Ferrari 308. Then they actually learn how to drive, realize that those cars aren't really worth the bother and just drive whatever they've got quite well and all that arguing was really just avoiding the fact that they couldn't even drive. So what if they jump into a Countach, they'll still be out driven by someone who can actually drive.

Gent1: "Well, I chose Di2 because it's the latest tech." (climbing along side Gent2)
Gent2: "Campagnolo has a superior product in every way, and it shifts faster than Di2" (slowly fading back)

Gent3: "Look guys, I'm riding my SRAM Apex group on an 80's steel frame. I've been waiting for you at the top of this climb for 20 minutes I'm going to head back home. See you in a few hours when you get there." (sent via SMS)

Most of you are adults here. I'm assuming most of you know how to ride a bike.
Does it work for you? Great. Now go ride your damn bike and become a better cyclist.

Equipment doesn't make you a better cyclist. Riding your bike and training well does make you a better cyclist.

You still don't get what a jealous little person you sound like do you? Do you really think someone who can afford a $10,000+ road bike gives a rats ass that the $2000 option of electronic shifting will not make them faster? Most of the masses who are buying Di2 will NEVER race, and will NEVER care that someone passed them up a climb. They just want the nicest bike money can buy, bar none, and that usually means the best looking most expensive bike they get get there hands on.

I'm curious to hear what some of the haters here are riding for bikes, because if there is anyone hating the electronics who rides a Pinarello or a Colnago or (insert exotic bike brand here) instead of a Trek or Specialized or (insert mass produced high end, boring bike here) I will laugh my ass off....

r_mutt

by r_mutt

prendrefeu wrote:I wrote that as a follow up to the previous statement: arguing about all this shit is getting really hilarious. Some people are more concerned about what they're riding than actually riding. People are arguing over Di2 vs. Campagnolo Electric vs whatever. It's getting ridiculous. It's reminiscent of little boys in the 80's arguing which is better to drive: a Lamorghini Countach, a Porsche 959 or a Ferrari 308. Then they actually learn how to drive, realize that those cars aren't really worth the bother and just drive whatever they've got quite well and all that arguing was really just avoiding the fact that they couldn't even drive. So what if they jump into a Countach, they'll still be out driven by someone who can actually drive.

the ferrari 308 is in a different category than the other 2. the ferrari 288 GTO would be a better fit...just saying.

8)

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

toofine wrote:You still don't get what a jealous little person you sound like do you?

Apparently not. This is the first time I've been called jealous of anything in my entire life, that's news to me. Those that have ridden with me here know that I'm not jealous or envious of their equipment in any way, ... so how am I jealous of someone else's bling? As long as the person is riding their bike and happy about it, good for them. If the person is thinking that equipment trumps ability, then I laugh. How is that jealousy, sir?

toofine wrote:Do you really think someone who can afford a $10,000+ road bike gives a rats ass that the $2000 option of electronic shifting will not make them faster?

It would be nice if they did.

toofine wrote:I'm curious to hear what some of the haters here are riding for bikes, because if there is anyone hating the electronics who rides a Pinarello or a Colnago or (insert exotic bike brand here) instead of a Trek or Specialized or (insert mass produced high end, boring bike here) I will laugh my ass off....

Currently: Figmo 900 sanded down, all analog, 13lbs without any tuning, nothing exotic, no decals. I guess you should ask others to get your laugh.
Last edited by prendrefeu on Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

toofine

by toofine

"It would be nice if they did."

That's the part that you just don't get.....

voodoojar

by voodoojar

I'm the last person that's going to tell anyone how to spend there money. As long as I can still buy the analog version the bike companies can add air conditioning and nav to bikes and I wouldn't care but I still think it's retarded.

toofine

by toofine

voodoojar wrote:I'm the last person that's going to tell anyone how to spend there money. As long as I can still buy the analog version the bike companies can add air conditioning and nav to bikes and I wouldn't care but I still think it's retarded.

Why?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com