Test in Mapei Sport Service

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Tumppi

by Tumppi

Check this out!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fYiaXoBq-s
My (amateur) teammate Antti-Ville Korhonen (http://antti-villekorhonen.com/) visit in Mapei Sport Service and he made some great results!

Couldn't beat Ivan Basso, but maybe next time...
Here is Bassos test BTW http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7et8Te5IMlI

Also Cadel Evans and team BMC uses Mapei services as many other teams as Lampre -ISD etc.

1in20

by 1in20

What does the rider weigh? big numbers, but he looks pretty big too!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

OJ

by OJ

1in20 wrote:What does the rider weigh? big numbers, but he looks pretty big too!

I guess he's little under 70 kg. As far as I know he's what I could call a stick figure.

But holy F!"# 415 watts at AT! I hate talented people!
http://demarere.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tumppi

by Tumppi

1in20 wrote:What does the rider weigh? big numbers, but he looks pretty big too!

OJ is right. A-V's racing weight 69-70kg.
Vo2max 85ml/min/kg and you can calculate W/kg by your self. Alp d'Huez time 44min when alot of traffic on road.

Yes He is great talent but no professional contract...so far. It is really hard to get team as a Finnish cyclist and even harder now when many proteams has quit and many pros are without job...

Send me PM if you know some amateur / pro teams who are interested rider like A-V is.

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

Tumppi wrote:

OJ is right. A-V's racing weight 69-70kg.

I'm pretty sure that during the season he wasn't under 70kg at any point.

Tumppi wrote:Yes He is great talent but no professional contract...so far.

He has a good numbers, slightly higher what I still have. Vo2 is at the level of my best.

A-V has two problems that are not small ones. He fails to win races even in Finland. Normally strong guys get noticed even if they wouldn't win. During the season I didn't see him doing any damage to the peloton.
Second problem is probably something that comes with age. He seems to suffer from long-race-fatigue more than others.

Finnish races are not that difficult so you can win races even if you label yourself as a climber. Especially since he has the numbers to go on a flat also. One of the races I won I just used brute strength to ride away. I attacked and then tt'ed with avg 408w for the remaining 15km's to finish line. He also has the ability to do it so he should do it.

But to be honest, as longs as he can't win even in Finland it's going to be very hard to get contract to other countries.
Don't get me wrong, I'll help as soon as I see it's time to do it.
Cannondale SuperSix
Shimano 9270

chase196126

by chase196126

How long has he been racing at this level? I know guys (myself included) that have tested with extremely high numbers in the lab/in training setting but have been unable to replicate this in race settings. Usually the high numbers could be produced, but only in an almost perfect setting. Race accelerations and distance significantly impacted the ability to produce that amount of power when it actually counted.

Depending on how long he has been racing his numbers may not increase very much more, but his ability to produce that amount of power on a consistent basis will improve significantly. That was the main change I have seen in myself/others in the last year or so.

Tumppi

by Tumppi

A-V has racing only 1½ years, and in fact as same period his has been cycled also. His background is orienteering sport and long distance running.

Tumppi

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

OJ

by OJ

Well the potential is there, you "just" need to get it out. Someone with well over 400 watt AT and FTP should be able to be up there in Finnish races climber or not, big or small. I've never raced with A-V so I don't know, but maybe he just has no group riding/racing skill yet and if he has lowish anaerobic power, he can't make it in the sprint/last 1 km.

I can far exceed my test results on the road, but then again my numbers are far from impressive in any situation.

But how many guys with this sort of potential are being lost to hockey where they may never make even the national level? While orienteering and distance running are fine endurance sports, maybe there are more A-V's as well who should be riding a bike to reach their full potential in sports...
http://demarere.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;