headset recommendations?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

teamtrinity

by teamtrinity

So got a Soma Double Cross frameset to build up as a touring/cyclocross bike. Can anyone recommend a light, dependable headset with low stack height? Preferably not too expensive. Thanks!

Also..do headsets come with a star nut? Or is that purchased separately? (I do need a star nut for a steel steerer, correct?)

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

inthedrops

by inthedrops

Last headset I bought was the FSA Orbit-X-CX for a cyclocross frame. It doesn't have a low stack height (43.5mm) but to answer your other question, it came with a star nut. I'm not sure how standard it is myself so I'd like to know. I've bought headsets before but always had someone else install them until recently so never noticed.

"(I do need a star nut for a steel steerer, correct?)"
Yup, that'll work perfectly.

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

THe orbit cx is nice with the integrated cable hanger. THe lowest stack height is going to come from a crank brothers cobalt head set, but they suck.

You can't go wrong with any of the cane creek offerings and they are a little shorter in stack than a Chris King. Also, Campy external headsets have a pretty low stack.

mcatano

by mcatano

Loaded Precision X-Lite 1-1/8" threadless:

* Weight: 66g
* Size: 1 1/8 x 1 1/8 (1.125 X 1.125)
* Top Stack Height: 12.5mm
* Bottom Stock Height: 10mm
* Bearing: Dual Angular Full Compliment Ceramic Hybrid
* Material: 7075 Aluminum
* Insertion Depth: 9mm

Comes in 6 colours.

maddog 2

by maddog 2

how low do you need?

CK is 31.4mm

Cane Creeks are usually 28mm (S6, S8 and the newer 40 models). The CC 110 is good, but in CK territory in terms of price.

Crank Brothers do some with very low stack heights but their reputation is poor. CRC have them on offer at the moment though. See http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Cate ... randID=194

That Loaded one looks nice.