You guys are AMAZING. So much help here, really. I made a bit of progress today:
This is the old fork. Notice the weight and the huge chunk of material on the fork crown.
Here's the new fork without the ITT nut inserted:
Close-up of the normal fork crown this fork has:
This is the washer we cut off of a crown race setter (before sanding it down smooth):
The weight of the washer we made:
The adapter from Specialized:
Weight of the adapter:
How they go together (adapter was on bottom in this photo):
Weight of the combo:
How the adapter fits in the headtube:
Lastly, the weight of the fork with the ITT nut, but without the crown race or washer:
After we sanded down the washer we got everything assembled and so far the fork works. We still have a few remaining tasks before the project is done:
1. Figure out binding on top bearing (I'm using a custom dustcap, so this is sort of unrelated to the fork)
2. Torque all bolts (4 on faceplate, 2 on stem, 1 on headset, 1 on brake caliper)
3. Install new shifter (this was a warranty thing that we took care of while the bike was there)
4. Keep sanding the washer to thin it down some (make the cut nicer) and get the gap between the fork crown and headtube to shrink (the washer is visible from the side)
5. Redo my spacers (Easton recommends a 10mm on top and I have a 15 on bottom. I would like to do 5 on top and 20 on the bottom)
After we do that we can call this project done. I'm sort of wondering why the washer we're using is showing up on the outside and not inside the headtube with the crown race. Other than that I am very happy and can't thank everyone enough for all the help.
If you guys want more information or measurements let me know since I'll be heading back to the shop in a few days.