Best road shoe for wide feet?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Slayer33

by Slayer33

I'm looking for some new kicks for my feet. I've just gone through my first season of road riding and I have encountered extremely painful foot pains a number of times. I didn't know why, but I am pretty sure it was caused by my shoes. They are just too narrow for my wide feet.

I am currently using Shimano R086L shoes (non-wide versions).

I have been looking online, and I have seen SIDI Mega and some Lake shoes are good for wider feet.. are there any others? I am running speedplay pedals, so the Lake shoes to me are nice cause they have Speedplay specific cleat mounting and the Boa system... but Speedplay specific isn't a must.
2009 Scott Spark 50 - 22.9 lbs / 10.38 kg
2011 Cannondale SuperSix 5 - 15.35 lbs / 6.96 kg

Wyatt963

by Wyatt963

I had the same problem, and went through a lot of shoes, before bitting the bullet, and spent the money on a pair of Sidi mega shoes, most comfortable cycling shoes I have ever had, no more foot problems.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Slayer33

by Slayer33

I'm having a hard time finding the SIDI Megas for a good price, ProBikeKit has the Megas but none in my size (43/43.5)

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Shimano do some shoes from their range in a Wide Fitting, and the top of the range R315 (assuming it is still top of the range because Shimano revise their range frequently) is one such shoe. I have been very pleased by mine.

jdp211

by jdp211

Specialized does wide sizes in their Pro and now in their S-works as well

r_mutt

by r_mutt

Northwave makes the widest shoe in the business. the Sidi's and the like make a wider mid-shoe section, but they still taper to a pointy toe box.

billspreston

by billspreston

Northwave Aerlite S.B.S - look no further :mrgreen:

JensW

by JensW

r_mutt wrote:Northwave makes the widest shoe in the business. the Sidi's and the like make a wider mid-shoe section, but they still taper to a pointy toe box.

they DID, they have became more narrow, from 2010 and forward, if i don´t remember wrong.

The absolute best shoe for my feet, that are very wide, is for sure Bont in wide version. and i have tested a lot of shoes.

inertianinja

by inertianinja

What about Bont?

i'm considering trying them out for the same reason. I wonder if it would make my foot a little more stable & help my knee issues.

roadman

by roadman

Lake and Northwave (Fighter/Vertigo) are wide

Are the S-Works 2012 wide available yet in the US / UK?

I want to put some months in them before the new season.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Quite a lot of 'foot/shoe' probs are not due to the shoes but just plain positioning on the bike.

It's all about angles, ya know.... :lol:

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

Tokyo Drifter

by Tokyo Drifter

you have comfort issues from your shoes being too tight yet you are purchasing your shoes, without trying them on, from the internet. Something about sleeping in the bed you make somes to mind...

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Bonsai beds..... :lol:

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

Slayer33

by Slayer33

Tokyo Drifter wrote:you have comfort issues from your shoes being too tight yet you are purchasing your shoes, without trying them on, from the internet. Something about sleeping in the bed you make somes to mind...

Where do you get this from?

I do my research online like most of us do and when something that is suggested peaks my interest, I will see if I can't get whatever it may be locally first at a good price. I called my local shop to see if they had the SIDI Mega Pro Carbon 5 shoes today after Wyatt963 recommended them, they did, but they quoted me $299 for them. I went down after work to try them on and found that they fit much better than my Shimano R086Ls.

I felt that $299 is too much to pay when typically you can get much better deals online, which is what I asked in my response to his post. Yes, my reply was prior to me trying them on, but whats the harm in looking for a better deal that fits my budget? I have every intention to trying on shoes prior to investing my hard earned $$ before buying them.

I also had the opportunity to try on the Northwave and Specialized shoes, but they just weren't as comfortable as the Sidi Megas.

I have yet to try any Lake shoes..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maxima

by maxima

He widest shoe u can find is Bont wide size. Most bike shop do not stock the wide side Bont as the standard Bont is already wider than the mass of shoes out there. Take a vernier caliper with u and measure he carbon sole and u understands what I meant! Shoes like specialized use a wider upper and higher volume toe box, their carbon sole of the same length is infact much more narrow by sidi by 2.5mm at its widest. Numbers don't lie, perception does lead u to the wrong deal. He issue with Bont is u need to get us to the lack of Cushion and will need a few weeks of riding after moulding to get use to it - that's my case. Once u fitted yr Bont to yr foot, it's hard to find a wider shoe to fit WIDE FOOT cyclist. I'm not a spinner, so my style is less cadenance and any narrow carbon sole will inflict pain on my foot after the 70-80km on the road.....