HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:28 am 

atx6speed wrote:
..I hate how many standards there are across the industry. ..

Its starting to take the pi$$ how many 'standards' there are. Standard means 1. We don't have several metre standards do we? No.
/rant

Either way, i just sent the guys at Sepcialized a tweet and they came back pretty soon, good service!

Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:28 am 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:32 am 
Shop Owner

thisisatest wrote:
i measured the cane creek bearing and one that i think came from a cannondale. the difference? just 0.6mm, so almost like no difference at all...

i doublechecked some bearings today:
the cane creek bearing was less than 6.5mm tall.
the specialized bearing was 7mm tall.
the cannondale bearing (until now unmeasured, i had them mixed up) was 8mm tall.
things are getting fuzzier.
on a tangent, cannondale uses a completely different crown race than everyone else, and a different steerer crown OD to go with it... in the end it doesnt matter, unless you only have a cannondale headset and an Enve fork...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:28 pm 

atx6speed wrote:

The next issue is finding a washer that will work. We thought about it for a while and ended up cutting off a piece of the crown race setting tool to actually make it work. It had the perfect inner and outer diameter and is really good anodized aluminum. It took quite a few tries and cuts to get the material off, so needless to say the cut isn't very clean.

If you ever need to make a washer like this again, the rule of thumb is that for any given OD, a piece of tubing 1/8" larger with a wall thickness of .058" will give a perfect slip fit. eg, For a 1-1/2" steerer, you'd use a piece of 1-5/8" x .058" tubing.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:08 am 

You guys are AMAZING. So much help here, really. I made a bit of progress today:

This is the old fork. Notice the weight and the huge chunk of material on the fork crown.

Here's the new fork without the ITT nut inserted:

Close-up of the normal fork crown this fork has:

This is the washer we cut off of a crown race setter (before sanding it down smooth):

The weight of the washer we made:

The adapter from Specialized:

Weight of the adapter:

How they go together (adapter was on bottom in this photo):

Weight of the combo:

How the adapter fits in the headtube:

Lastly, the weight of the fork with the ITT nut, but without the crown race or washer:

After we sanded down the washer we got everything assembled and so far the fork works. We still have a few remaining tasks before the project is done:
1. Figure out binding on top bearing (I'm using a custom dustcap, so this is sort of unrelated to the fork)
2. Torque all bolts (4 on faceplate, 2 on stem, 1 on headset, 1 on brake caliper)
3. Install new shifter (this was a warranty thing that we took care of while the bike was there)
4. Keep sanding the washer to thin it down some (make the cut nicer) and get the gap between the fork crown and headtube to shrink (the washer is visible from the side)
5. Redo my spacers (Easton recommends a 10mm on top and I have a 15 on bottom. I would like to do 5 on top and 20 on the bottom)

After we do that we can call this project done. I'm sort of wondering why the washer we're using is showing up on the outside and not inside the headtube with the crown race. Other than that I am very happy and can't thank everyone enough for all the help. :) If you guys want more information or measurements let me know since I'll be heading back to the shop in a few days.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:08 pm 

atx6speed wrote:

Wow, thanks for the detailed post!

One question, I think (I didn't look it up) the Crux fork has 48mm rake, and I think Easton only comes in 45mm. Did you want to slow down the steering that much?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:12 pm 

JBV wrote:
atx6speed wrote:

Wow, thanks for the detailed post!

One question, I think (I didn't look it up) the Crux fork has 48mm rake, and I think Easton only comes in 45mm. Did you want to slow down the steering that much?

I'm actually running it on the Allez, so the rake should be the same (45mm). Hopefully a combination of this Specialized adapter plus a washer should help many F.A.C.T. fork owners out with using an alternative fork (like on the Crux).

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3