Wooden RENOVO R1 road bike

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Fantastic. I am very curious about the bike, ride quality and final weight.

Keep posting pictures, please!
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

kikkie

by kikkie

Wow! That is so ridiculously cool! Looking forward to the build!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

I have decided to switch out the Fizik Arione CX saddle, that I had initially planned to use on this build, for a Brooks Team saddle. I have though about trying out a Brooks saddle for a long time, but for some reason I never ended up purchased one. However, I have decided this build deserves something more special than a standard Fizik saddle.

The Brooks saddle is going to be custom engraved. The guy who is going to do it for me has done some amazing saddles in the past. These are just two examples. You can find more examples here: http://www.sintchristophorus.nl/zadel-galerij/

StuTheWeak

by StuTheWeak

Don't forget to take out a termite policy.

That is a pretty cool project....I'd really like to know how it turns out.
Specialized Allez 06' "Rain Bike" 21.50lbs
Neuvation F100 11' "Road Bike" 16.80lbs
Specialized Tarmac Pro 11' "WW Bike" 14.25lbs

jdp211

by jdp211

The first one isn't my cup of tea, but the second is beautiful.

TheRedMantra

by TheRedMantra

crohnsy wrote:Cane creek makes a headset with wood inlay... The 110 Reserve iirc

They only made 50. Titanium with wood inlays. Half in maple and half in mahogany. I've got a new maple one if you're seriously interested. Even has titanium interlok spacers. T2bikes.com has a mahogany in stock too.

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

Altough I like the idea of having a Cane Creek reserve headset on my bike, the price is simply way to high for :cry:

2fat2bfast

by 2fat2bfast

utter jeer

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

I finally settled on the front fork and stem I will be using on this frame. It is not going to be a combination of a 3T Funda and a Deda Zero 100 I had in mind. Instead I will be going with:

A custom built fork and stem combination built by Rob English from English Cycles!

Not sure what colour would look best with the frame though. Chrome would be nice, but maybe a little bit over the top. Black?

Epic-o

by Epic-o

SWijland wrote:I finally settled on the front fork and stem I will be using on this frame. It is not going to be a combination of a 3T Funda and a Deda Zero 100 I had in mind. Instead I will be going with:

A custom built fork and stem combination built by Rob English from English Cycles!

Not sure what colour would look best with the frame though. Chrome would be nice, but maybe a little bit over the top. Black?

Like this one:

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

Nick was kind enough to send me a couple of construction pictures of the chain and seat stays. Pretty cool to see how these parts start out.

"the chainstays are cut, but not laminated, and the seatstays are ready for CNC machining (which is why I shot them on the CNC table.)

Cheers,

Nick Wood
Renovo"

The frame will probably be finished at the end of November at which time they will send it to English Cycles, so Rob can start work on the front fork/stem combo.

I also managed to find a wheel builder who is going to put together the Ghisallo rims and the Dura Ace hubs. We both had to read up on how to build up wooden rims, because apperently there is quite a lot of difference in building up a wooden rim, as supposed to an aluminium or carbon rim (much lower spoke tension, resting after first tensioning, etc).

Anyway, here a the pictures Nick sent me.

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

Nick was kind enough to send me another set of pictures showing the seat stays after machining:

celeste55

by celeste55

is his last name seriously Wood?
There is nothing lighter than a hole

elviento

by elviento

Very cool indeed.

Out of curiosity, I wonder what are the odds of these babies bassing EFBE tests and the like?
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dcj9

by dcj9

when i saw the title of this thread a few weeks ago i nearly had a heart attack.

in England 'woody' is a slang word for something quite different :unbelievable:

cool project though, really interesting and unusual :thumbup: